1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 update at GDC report

Discussion in 'General' started by Zass, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    Hey all,

As some of you know, I got a chance to visit Sega HQ at GDC this year (Game Developer's Conference from 3/25 - 3/28). I got a really, really early look at their planned update to VF5:FS (codenamed "rattle"), which will be a console only patch. This update will use the VF5:FS engine and art assets, but still functionally be a new game that appeals to veteran and new players alike.

DLC
    The biggest change is on the business side. Recently, the fighting game market has found itself under a lot of pressure. League of Legend/Dota style games have a huge market share, and have drawn a lot of fighting game players away from static pay models. LoL has a free to play model where for a fee, you can access more characters. This lets Riot games have a massive revenue stream, something you just don't get in the traditional fighting game pay model. So Sega needed to find a way to stay relevant, while still extracting as much money as possible from players.

So for "rattle", Sega is taking the approach of DLC move enhancements. I was kind of suspicious of this, because it sounded like pay to win. But it's not. Here's the basic idea: All moves in the game will be unlocked, but for a small DLC fee you can enhance the move. The move enhancement will supplement the original move.

For example, Akira's one frame knee will remain in the game, but with DLC, you can increase the window to five frames. So let's say two Akira players play each other, and one has DLC and one doesn't. The player with the DLC will have up to five frames to release guard, while the player without will have the standard one frame.

Wolf's perfect giant swing was another example. You can still do the perfect giant swing by quickly doing the giant swing motion. For a DLC fee, all giant swings will be perfect, regardless of how quickly it was done. This lets newer players get to play on the same level playing field as experienced wolf players. This was a change I could really get behind, as a Wolf player.
    What does this mean if you're playing against a Wolf player with the DLC? It means that every giant swing he lands will be a perfect giant swing. The experience will be the same as if you were fighting an experienced Wolf player, who would land those every time.

Many of VF's famously difficult moves had DLC enhancements.. Jacky's flash sword kick had an extended cancel window. Goh and Vanessa had "auto land" throws for DLC. As an example, Goh has an attack throw, where he inputs [6][6][K][+][G] into [P][+][G] (on guard and on hit). A good player is always going to land the [P][+][G] follow up, but this is difficult for a new player. The enhancement DLC would just have to connect with [6][6][K][+][G], and the computer would auto input the [P][+][G] follow up. A good Goh player is never going to miss that anyways, so it doesn't really affect the game.

I didn't get a comprehensive list of what moves will be enhanced. Every character will have at least one enhancement pack, generally aimed at the more difficult to execute moves.

The main idea of DLC is to make it easier for new players to access top level play. High end players probably won't use or need the DLC, since they can do the difficult moves anyways. But players that are learning can use the DLC to get an easier to execute version of the same move.

What I like about this system is that it makes the game easier for new players without sacrificing gameplay quality.

Throws
    Sega is keeping the VF5:FS throw engine *mostly* the same. The yutori throw escape system, as well as the three choice throw directions is staying in. In keeping with the spirit of accessibility to new players, Sega is putting in an easy yutori DLC. With this DLC, you'll have a 1/3 chance of escaping any throw automatically. Again, this won't have any effect on high level players, who are already inputting throw escapes consistently.

Overall impressions
    I had mixed feelings about this update. On one hand, I was happy to see investment in the VF franchise. I can honestly say that the VF series is now my favorite game, and I would like to see more people playing it. On the other hand, I kind of felt like all the hard work I had put in training was going to waste. I mean, why practice for hours when someone can just get DLC to do the same move?

But having thought about it more, I think I can say I'm for the change. I *want* more people playing VF5. So what if their moves are done with DLC? If it helps them get in the game, and keep playing, then so much the better. And DLC is frankly how games are going these days. The "buy once, play forever" business model just isn't sustainable.

Another reason I started to think I might like the DLC was for myself. Let's face it, I'm in my late 30s, and I don't have the time to sit in dojo mode all day competing with players half my age cracked up on adderall.. I'd like to stay competitive, but I also don't want to have to remember to throw escape every single time, or lose the game because I missed a hit throw. I feel that with the DLC, I can stay competitive. I do have to play money, but sitting for hours in dojo mode costs me time too. So either way I'm paying something. This lets me have the choice to pay or not pay. I can always choose to not pay, and play the game without DLC.

For obvious reasons, I wasn't allowed to take any pics of the game, but here's me sitting in front of their VF5:FS cabinet! Free play all day!

[​IMG]
    VF @GDC by Zass30, on Flickr

G0d3L, soke, nou and 1 other person like this.
  2. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Happy Easter Foolsmas :rolleyes:

3. Ytpme_Secaps

Ytpme_Secaps Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Jami San
    Zass, please tell me this is an April fools joke....please

4. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf