1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 USA Site

Discussion in 'General' started by Crazy_Galaxy, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

2. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I've already registered and posted a link to this site. Let's see if it stays. /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Oh great idea, let's get those "This game should go to the Xbox 360" and "[ Poll ] VF5 Online" threads in here. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Just doing my part to grow the community, man. /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. ZSS

ZSS Well-Known Member

Let's see if I have any replies to my daring posts… no.

6. Poppa

Poppa Well-Known Member

I was looking at the site, but it doesn't give any info on the max resolution of VF. I remember reading somewhere that it was going to be 720p, which is fine (but, you know, 1080p>720p /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ). Namco is supposedly releasing Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection for the PS3 via online download on the PS Network store, and that game will have 1080p, so I'm wondering why Sega doesn't opt to go for that resolution. The only real reason is because of slow down. Hopefully, they can throw that resolution in there for the final release.

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Reasons...

1. It's hard to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p unless you have a really large HDTV

2. Not all HDTVs support 1080p (I don't even think there are any broadcasts in HD)

3. You can't just "throw in" an 1080p resolution--there is a cost to that higher resolution and that's the game's smoothness, or frames per second

8. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    [ QUOTE ]
    Poppa said:

I was looking at the site, but it doesn't give any info on the max resolution of VF. I remember reading somewhere that it was going to be 720p, which is fine (but, you know, 1080p>720p /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ). Namco is supposedly releasing Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection for the PS3 via online download on the PS Network store, and that game will have 1080p, so I'm wondering why Sega doesn't opt to go for that resolution. The only real reason is because of slow down. Hopefully, they can throw that resolution in there for the final release.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's a direct port of the Arcade version. Maybe it might happen with future VF's.

9. Superking

Superking Member

Well those are good reasons, but don't forget that Lindbergh games have smooth and easy porting jobs to the PS3, so AM2 could've added 1080p if they wanted to since they have the time. I mean AM3 added in 1080p to the PS3 Power Smash 3/Virtua Tennis 3, but from the looks of it it's just the team's discretion probably, well 720p is still good that's what the Lindbergh max resolution is anyway.

And the only way VF5 would appear on the 360 is if Sega of America outsources it to some other company outside of Sega, like what they did with Virtua Tennis 3 for 360, PSP and PC (is that one still coming out? lol), those versions of the game are made by Sumo Digital and not AM3 like the Lindbergh or PS3 versions.

PS3 + PS3 + VF5 ftw. XD

10. Poppa

Poppa Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ice-9 said:

Reasons...

1. It's hard to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p unless you have a really large HDTV

2. Not all HDTVs support 1080p (I don't even think there are any broadcasts in HD)

3. You can't just "throw in" an 1080p resolution--there is a cost to that higher resolution and that's the game's smoothness, or frames per second

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Well, what if you have that TV? Wouldn't it be worth it for you? I mean, sure, not a lot if people have one, but it's still nice for those that do (note: no, I don't have one /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif ).

2. I believe all newer models do support it. There are broadcasts in HD. A lot of sporting events do HD now and shows like CSI and the like.

3. I know that, but if Sega can do 1080p without the framerate issues (1080p =/= automatic framerate problems, I guess they would just need to optimize some code or something), then why not have it in?

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

RE: broadcasts -- I think they are in 720p or 1080i, but not 1080p.

12. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Who said Tekken: DR will have 1080p? The only detail I know is that it will have be in HD, and 720p is already HD. Do we even know if VF5 won't have 1080p? I don't think anyone have confirmed that it doesn't except for the fact that lindberg is 720p, but then again, Lindberg is not a PS3.

13. sixtwo

sixtwo Well-Known Member

You will not see many 1080p games running at 60fps on any console this generation, period. It's just too much to give up, with too little a return.

14. Poppa

Poppa Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Srider said:

Who said Tekken: DR will have 1080p?

[/ QUOTE ]

IGN

[ QUOTE ]
    The PS3 version will feature full 1080p visuals and the playable debut of boss character Jinpachi, who was unplayable in the arcade version.

[/ QUOTE ]

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

If they don't significantly update DR's visuals (in terms of poly count, etc.) it should be pretty easy to get it running at 1080p. Doesn't sound like it though if it's going to be a download game.

16. Pai_Garu

If they simply scale up the resolution, then it's entirely possible for VF5 to output at 1080p.

Also, IGN got that news from famitsu, and as far as I know famitsu did not specify specifically that it will be 1080p, only that it will be in HD. Unless I see a scan of the famitsu page that says specifically it will be 1080p, it will most likely just be upscaled. I don't see a logical reason for Namco to redo all of their assets into full 1080p resolution for a downloadable game.

17. sixtwo

sixtwo Well-Known Member

Rendering a game in 1080p isn't a matter of redoing assets; it's just the resolution of the game. Changing a PS2 game's resolution to 1080p for the PS3 probably isn't a big hassle; they're doing the same thing with Gran Turismo HD.

However, changing VF5's resolution on the software side would be significant, as it is obviously more of a graphical powerhouse than DR. Upscaling, which has been mentioned here, is typically a hardware side resolution increase, where a lower resolution image is displayed at a higher one, and it not the same thing as actually changing the native resolution of the game.

18. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I'm not sure about this, but I would imagine maximum resolution is considered early on. The designers probably specify the amount of polygons used in a character model based on, among many things, the planned display resolution. In such a case, 1080p will not graphically improve a game designed to be maxed out at 720p. If anything, you'd end up seeing texture imperfections and the edges of the polys. A similar thing would happen if you displayed VF1 at 1080p.

I run into this in my business quite often - people want to use 72 dpi images for print. Normal print resolution is 300 dpi. Simply opening the image in photoshop and changing the resolution from 72 to 300 doesn't do anything but make the file size larger - the clarity and detail do not increase as there is no additional color information present.

19. sixtwo

sixtwo Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right, and you can see this in Gran Turismo 4 on the PS2. It has a 1080i mode that looks like absolute shit because there isn't enough graphical detail in the textures to hold up at that resolution. Increasing resolution does smooth out rough edges, though, because of the increase in pixels used to render the image.

20. Pai_Garu

[ QUOTE ]
    sixtwo said:

You're absolutely right, and you can see this in Gran Turismo 4 on the PS2. It has a 1080i mode that looks like absolute shit because there isn't enough graphical detail in the textures to hold up at that resolution. Increasing resolution does smooth out rough edges, though, because of the increase in pixels used to render the image.

[/ QUOTE ]

So did you not just validate what I said? To make it more clear, Tekken DR is not a game designed for 1080p, so if the game were to output at 1080p based on existing asset, it would look like how GT4 did at 1080p. A simply resolution change doesn't take alot of work if all you are doing is pumping out more pixels via interpolation.

If Namco were to make Tekken 5:DR 1080p native, like Plague said, it would mean redoing the asset (textures, models) to make it look good at such a high resolution. Of course, this can be alot of work or almost none depending on how T5:DR was developed. If all the textures and models were made initially in super high resolution and then dumbed down for the arcade and PS2's limitations (this is often the case), then they wouldn't have to start over. It's always easier to downscale things rather than upscaling them. Now, we also don't know if VF5 PS3 version is designed for 1080p as well. It's likely that the above scenario would hold true as well for VF5 from the intro demos they've shown. I think people are too quick to jump the gun on the specs for PS3's VF5. No one ever confirmed officially if the home version is maxed out at 720p. It seems very unlikely since all ps3 games right now is capable of upscaling to 1080p even for 720p native games.

If T5:DR is only changing the output resolution with the same asset, then VF5 can easily do the same and look better at the same time (theoretically), since VF5 is 720p native. That's what I said before and we are saying the same thing.