1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 wolf advanced stratergy thread

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by BK__, Apr 7, 2007.

1. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

I made a new thread because some of my information contradicts my first impressions. Also, there’s some room for more technical discussion here, I will just run through all the things I discovered while training in VF5. I hope it’s useful, ~ and I’ll post more when I get the time, feel free to throw some things into the thread.

----------------
    Deadly Move

At first, I thought of the deadly move as being a pretty weak spear tool because of the speed and start-up motion. I tried it with some variable situations and figured out some of it’s proporites. The best one of all is that it can step over an opponent and bounce off walls. This makes wolf safe to use it without worrying too much about whiffing / stop-recovery, and in most cases leaves him in a safe position. I think if you can use it well, it can become a pretty significant part of your game.

The first part or the execution, ducks highs, but the window is kindda small. Any other part of it can be jabbed or hit out of it. It’s best to “start†the deadly move at a good range and recovery time, because it picks up pace later on where the choice state is stronger. Basically, it needs a lot of frames to work well.

The optimum use is after a spinning knock down like/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif MC / screw hook / or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. sometimes after a knee~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif / SS. The reason is that when the opponent gets up, they are trapped into the choice game where jabbing or crouching would lose a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. This makes it become a high damage pressure tool, where as if they block high or evade, they will be thrown.

I’ve numbered the Deadly Move choices in 2 sections, because I think in general, you only need /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif as a choice game. The other 2 are for occasional mixups.

1>/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ~ off any hit you get atleast a toe kick stunner garanteed
    2>/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif ~ use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif on some characters, but you need to find variations for exceptional characters where the second /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif doesn’t connect.

3>/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ~ long range knockdown
    4>/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~ unblockable surprize

If the opp does not recover from a fall, don’t bother to stop the deadly move. You’ll run over and be fairly distanced. Infact, it’s more ideal to push your choice game until the last moment if possible, and I’ll explain why next.

-----------------------------------------
    Pressuring rising attackers.
    -----------------------------------------

One of the most cool features I discovered about this move is that when you run over your opponent and attack mid-way, the move turns around and tracks the opponent’s side. And also evades a linear attack completely. This means that if opp fails the perfect TR after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (which requires perfect TR), the fall will position the opp head towards making a rising /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to be a straight mid kick, the deadly move will run through a rising mid kick and hit the opp’s side giving you a free toe stunner~!

Sometimes the timing to this is alittle strict and cant be done with throw (wolf whifs like a retard). But you have to remember to run over the opp and cancel the animation where wolf’s arm swings over.

---------------
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif = 18 frames, ~

An extremely fast long range game, it’s even faster than /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. The best use for this move in general is to punish whiffed rising attacks, and the 2nd best use is for beating an opp who spaces well. ~ unlike most long range games, it’s easy to catch an opponent while they are moving around and hard to react or read it comming. I also think most opponents will understimate it’s range proprties, it really does stretch far~!

In some instances, you can use it for when you gain distance and space yourself. It also has proporties of ducking high attacks in the last section of frames.which means you have more resistance to high jabs and less worry about being interrupted.

It’s only downfall is that it’s attack counterable on block, so although you can use it for tech rolls, I wouldn’t advise on sticking to the same plan often. Against walls, it gives you a nice wall stun, which means you can follow up with a high damage combo such as:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ~ reverse hammer

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

the move is also garanteed after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif which means you can setup wall stuns or ringouts from this position.

-----------------------------------
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif = low crusher.

Not much to say about this move other than it’s either a combo bouncer, or a low attack crusher. It basically has a pretty straight forward function.

It’s now probably wolf’s strongest rising pressure tool as it unconditionally beats low rising attacks, and sometimes high rising attacks depending on where you catch the animation. Without the rising attack game, you can use it at small to mid-small disadvantage; anything mid to high disadvantage will still be caught by low P rather than jumping over it (for example, after f+p is blocked). Kindda like pai’s swallow kick with a bigger window. When you gain a sucessful hit, the best combo for it is

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ~ (slight delay) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~ screw hook

close to a wall, it’s best to get

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ~ (slight delay) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~ (wall) ~ reverse hammer / alternative

somebody earlier mentioned you have to dash forward for these combos to work, but it’s not necessary, just delay very slightly. On blocked the move is only -2, which means you are safe but elbows will beat your next attack, so then it’s up to you to decide what to do next.

------------------------------------
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

Garanteed string on MC, but duckable on NH, the first part on NH is now 16 frames and -2 disadvantage, so it’s weakened from VF4 where it was 15 frames and -0. basically it has to be MC for any use. It also makes it a weaker poke than /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and also it’s no better for side crumbling as both /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif are wolf’s side crumbe tools.

Technically, the only thing that it beats screw hook with is that the spinning knock down is closer and higher meaning you can use SS as a bounce followup if you sense the opp wont TR. Actually, the knockdown proporties are a good enough reason to still use this move as a solid mid advantage tool. But not so good for rising and TR pressure.

The second hit is considered half circular, but the short range doesn’t utilize this proporty very well.

-------------------------------
    R.A.W (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif)

The /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif followup is now +18 on MC!!!

Seems you can now get a garanteed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. The /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif seems to push the opponent slightly out of throw range, so it’s best to either PGS, or use your initiative. Toe stunner is within the garanteed frame range, but I havent tested it according the distance issue yet.

Using RAW has always been a disadvantage mechanic, for example at small disadvantage after a blocked low P where opp using an elbow is their only / best option. Also, high /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is higher teir in VF5 than VF4, so it seems RAW can be a helpful mechanic.

---------------------------------
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif

Incredable improvement for wolf as it’s his first ever full circular~! This side turns opp for a garanteed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (for heavens sake, don’t /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif)~ :p

The /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif in this situation seems to give an unsual hit effect where the opp staggers around with their arms waving about. I think it doest do much to the advantage, but the opp is slightly pushed away. And out of throw range. I need to test wether an opponent can crouch a throw after this, but it seems you have to dash in slightly to do this.

If you don’t go for the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, you have a solid choice game for side throw ~ (which an opp cant duck!), or a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif if the opp attacks which then side crumples MC. The best side crumble followup I managed to churn out was:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~ screw hook

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is good for TRs and beating ETEG~ it works particularly well after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. It’s also -0 on block, but the opp is distanced, meaning it’s a neutral ground. You can either crush high jab with low lariat (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif) or choose an alternative, perhaps take advantage of your space and go for a whiff option. I wouldn’t advise high jabing much because wolf has the slowest jab in the game.

--------------------------------
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif

A bulldog strike with some special high proporties. When I get some more testing done with this move I’ll post it. Seems like going for an MC is the only reason you have to pull out this move, although you gain advantage on block (but don’t expect to be high guarded in general). On MC, the best combo I found was:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~ screw hook

monster emerald frozen <-- throw during head crumble seems to be
    the best option, i'll include the damage information later.

-----------------------
    SS

no more low P evasive proporties. seems to still duck highs and mids, but the window looks smaller. the animation doesnt allow any difference to when you duck a long mid or not, so i can only tell if i got an MC, or NH when i interrupt an attack and look for a yellow flash.

----------------------------------------------
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

17 frames, so it’s a knee class attack. Wolf always had to rely on toe stunner for a garanteed knee class situation, and now he has this also. ~ The launcher topples over the opp like shun’s heel kick, so you have to dash in to make a combo. It seems like it has high ducking proporties but I didn’t really test this well.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif~ (dash) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~ screw hook  closed stance

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif~ (dash) ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

I think it has some wall proporties, but I havent tested it yet.

-----------------------------------------------
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

Same use in VF4, which is the best delay move he has. For example, an opp gets a move blocked and goes for an ETEG, ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is fast enough to be used to punish it quickly for a nice combo. I prefer to use a forward dash or backdash to get the delay abit better. You can also use this on TRed ETEGs as it has good long range. During the match, you can also use it as a bulldog strike for when you or your opp starts spacing. It’s 15 frames so it’s more likely to beat a long range mid-kick or slow response from the opponent. In VF5, the combo potential is better, even if high /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif doesn’t work anymore.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~ open stance

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~ screw hook ~ closed stance

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ~ reverse hammer /screw hook ~~ alternative

-----------------------------------------------
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

This string has always been one of the most helpful /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif garanteed situations in the game, and it’s just gotten better. In VF4. It used to end in +2, now it’s +4, so on average, screw hook will always win dispite any /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif reverse nitaku. And up to knee class attack will beat a low /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif.

The second hit of the string is half circular and can be delayed, This means that it’s good for any situation where you intend to whiff high /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and delay the second hit, or trap ETEG one way. ~ And the best part of it is, it’s a mini combo launcher on MC.

Depending on the position of the knockdown, you can get a reverse hammer, for example if you’ve just trapped an evading command on MC, or if the opp is exceptionally close to you. When sometimes the launch is alittle furthur away, you can still juggle with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

When close the the wall, the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif gets either a high wall stun furthur away, or a standard wall stun closer to the wall, so use your wall combos as required. The high wall stun will get you a higher damage combo such as /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, but I havent really toyed around with it much, I think you can get some better damage than this.

--------------------------------------------------
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

same as VF4 but is now attack counterable. As per usual, you can land a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif off MC.

2. TojiDestro

TojiDestro Well-Known Member

It would probably have been more beneficial to throw your "research" into one of the other threads that was already made for this purpose, wouldn't it?

3. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

no ¬ it's just as benificial

4. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

Good job, some good info there, look forward to hearing more,
    shame about the SS being toned down, but RAW sounds alot more inviting to use now and that new full circular /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

5. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    Great info, and really well organized. Thanks BK__! I just have one thing to add, and one thing to comment on.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif combos on mC and on MC. Thanks to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif's awesome range, it's a handy whiff punisher too, once you get the idea of the timing for it (if it hits on NH and not on mC, things will suck /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif ). I think this is especially good now, after reading your notes on Deadly Move!

Also, I don't think your combo off of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif CH really does more damage than the Monster Emerald Frozen. A head crumple's a head crumple, after all.

I hope we can get some good discussion going. I'm no Wolf pro by ANY means, just sharing my thoughts.

6. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

*added* a few more sections.

seems that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif doesnt guarantee pounces anymore during air juggles, but i didnt include it because im not sure for all situations.

on a back turned air juggle, or a low /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, the opp can get up miles before you pounce.

i also forgot to mention that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif~(delay)~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif also works as a combo. i think that a ground throw is garanteed but a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif isnt.

i will include it in my first post~

also, thank you ladon for your information.

7. RikidoZan

RikidoZan Active Member

Following d/b+K+G with Monster Emerald Frosion, seems to be the best choice especially against El Blaze, Eileen and other low weight character's, who cannot be bounced with u/f+P+K.

I'm gonna stick with a Monster Emerald attempt, I'm a scrub anyway =)

8. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

yeah i'll include it in the infrormation ~

i just didnt test this option, so i didnt include it, didnt occur to me at the time i guess~

9. TojiDestro

I've found it's hard to catch d/b+K+G on an opponent in most situations and if you're going to go for the Emerald Frosion at all, the easiest way is from b,df+P+K.

The opponent is a lot more likely to misjudge the move and eat the CH off of it.

10. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

none are especially priority moves, and/or have "good setups". from my experiences, rolling elbow (b,df+p) is only good for when you either have whiffed a large move early, or on a center quick rise from face down position. in any case, you are most likely looking for recovery frames rather than counter hits.
    because it has only -1, then it's not supposed mind being guarded much.

sometimes, the animation can confuse opponents and give you MC, but i think it's in most cases down to contitioning, and after they have recovered from a position like face down quick rise. i wouldnt consider relying on a faulty opponent to be the strength of a wolf stratergy.

db+k+G is aimed at MC because it's a 21 frame strike which has special high proporties. this means that although you can duck the attack, it will interrupt low strikes and low recovery giving MC off an attack, and stagger off low recovery.

in any case, there are miles better options for wolf in most/almost all cases.

11. TojiDestro

Why would you use it after whiffing a large move? You'd be giving your opponent a much larger window to punish you AND a better chance to counter hit. You can use it when THEY whiff, but if you whiff you should do something faster, if you should attack at all.

Though a throw after a whiff can be useful in the right range.

12. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

i SAID

after the OPPONENT whiffs a LARGE MOVE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you either have whiffed a large move early,</div></div>

after you have WHIFFED a LARGE MOVE from the OPPONENT.

and like i also SAID ~ there are better options for either situation, whiff an OPPONENT's attack with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is better than throw, but throw can be used with the right range, yes. most instances, the Giant swing / KS / F5 throw window is better swuited for that stratergy.

13. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I don't see how /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif can be use to punished a whiffed attack.

Yeah you can hit the opponent on minor counter in most cases, but it's usually the result of a setup rather than through reaction.

14. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif pretty much never has a stratergy, it's linear, large, not exactly long range, and no particular reward on block.

whiffing a large move from the opponent would mean after you have already been spacing urself, and the opponent goes for a long range strike.

you aready have enough space to whiff it beforehand or even be better spaced than the move, so the hit will connect almost during the opponent's action.

it's not exactly golden, but there's no ensured way this move hits, you just have to use it as it is.

15. Pai_Garu

I don't see why /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is a reverse nitaku tool. Yes it is a low attack that can go under high's, but why is your opponent doing high attack when he's forcing a nitaku game? The attack takes way too long to execute as well to be an effective reverse nitaku tool. I think that statement is misleading to players.

Wolf is not very effective at reverse nitaku in VF5 due to clashes, if you want to do reverse nitaku, you might as well use 9P+K due to the higher damage potential.

16. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

because nitaku in VF5 is spread wider in the sense that +2 makes an elbow beat low P~ but lose to high P. in this situation, you choose a high crush mixup.

to be honest, im not sure what to call that situation...

one of his his best RN tools now is P,K ~ <-- for mainly the situation above

17. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

Ok So I will try to add my Hawkfield 2 cents. Even though I think my Wolf is weak compared to most.

My Wolf wins mostly consists of knowing your opponent. For example Plague, PhoenixDth, etc are people I play well against because I know there play style. Put me up against a character like Kage or Jeffrey and I become a total noob so anyways here I go.

LP Reversals: Look for opportunities for low punch reversals. Most VF players follow the same LP pattern over and over (ex after missing a powerful move they low punch to get advantage).Since LP is abused by almost every VF player use Wolfs reversal to your advantage. For some reason when a Wolf does DB (K) and its blocked the more than usual response is a low punch. Don't know why this works at least 60% of the time but it does. If the opponent starts to recognize this... follow DB (K) with a low punch of your own to a knee.

side note.. I am noticing that UF (PK) is a better move against low punch.

Start of Matches: Things I start out with once the round begins.
    Low dropkick, Quick elbow B(P), Low Punch Cut DF (P), def. dodge into throw, Stunner, F (P), BB (PG) to avoid by moving backwards and to grapple for hit (very dangerous) more of a surprise to the opponent, and its the same with dodge attack throw.

How to do the Shining Wizard: This took me a while to learn but I can probably pull this move off at a 90% ratio. Key is the delay between the low punch reversal and the shining wizard movement. Movement for SW is usually F (PG). Try adding a BACK movement first and then FORWARDS PG. The BACK will give you the best timing for the delay.

Back Drop into juggle combo. F GPK (causes dash forward) then PG for backdrop. When Wolf's arms are in the air hit G, then UF (PK), Punch, UF (PK), Punch, upper windmill punch D,DF (P). I honestly think this move is for show since it isn't easy to even hit the PG after the dash.

18. Pai_Garu

+2 is not a nitaku situation in VF5, so you shouldn't think of it like VF4.

For people that play lighter characters, this is probably an important knowledge. Since even in small disadvantages, light weight jabs can beat upper class attacks. For heavy weight characters like Wolf, since the opponent can crouch under your throw attempt at +2, it is not a nitaku situation.