1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5c Shoulder Ram -9 guard? Or Brady guide error?

Discussion in 'Akira' started by SicilianVizzini, Oct 8, 2009.

1. SicilianVizzini

SicilianVizzini Well-Known Member

While thinking about one of the quiz questions the other day, I looked up the Shoulder Ram [​IMG][6][P]+[K] move; primarily checking frame advantage/disadvantage when guarded in Akira’s VF5c move list.
    I was a little surprised to see it listed at the same -9 frame disadvantage as for VF5b. I was sure I’d read in the Brady guide that the move was safer when guarded in VF5c leaving Akira actually at small advantage.

I’ve now rechecked the Brady guide (page 21) just to confirm what I thought I’d read, and am now wondering if the advice the guide gives for Akira’s Shoulder Ram in Vf5c is incorrect.

2. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

No way is it + on block, the Brady Games guide is wrong.

3. SicilianVizzini

Cheers for the quick response, I only asked as I wasn't sure.
    I figure people here on VFDC will either know or work it out quicker than I will by myself.

For anyone without the guide, below is the extract for why I asked the question

Maho Shoukou [​IMG][6][P]+[K]
    "If the Maho Shoukou is guarded, Akira is actually left at a small advantage, and can use this to apply more pressure to his foe."

"*PS3 Version: The Maho Shoukou is not safe from throws if guarded, so be ready to throw escape or ETEG."

4. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

It's safe from throws in both Ver B and Ver C as far as I know.

EDIT: It's -9 in both versions is what I meant.

5. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Id like to see this Brady guide if it has more of the same bullshit.. First it says it leaves at a small advantage (this has never been true, the move was punishable in VF4) then it says its not safe from throws?

6. SicilianVizzini

The guide has quite a few similar advisory notes for different characters, which by the sounds of this one, could all be wrong.

The first lines in the extract above implicitly talk about VF5c(Xbox360) and the last line was in bold text just below the paragraph to differentiate vf5b(ps3).

Both comments by you (Manji) and Feck have more than convinced me that the guide is in error, probably time to think about retiring my Brady guide.

I think for the Shoulder Ram info in the guide to be correct, the move in VF5R (any version) would still have a similar advantage/disadvantage property to Brady's VF5c advantage claim; which it doesn't.

The link to a VF5R match below shows the shoulder ram after guard @ 2:56; here Akira (1P) is left at -7 disadvantage, which reinforces the -9 frame disadvantage VFDC lists for VF5b(PS3)/VF5c(Xbox360) and shows a small evolution for the move, backing up the comments you’ve made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D79_nXrsfQo

Is it worth adding a comment in the notes column to Akira's Shoulder Ram for VF5b & VF5c saying that the Brady guide(p21) is in error?

7. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    I don't know about VF5R but in VF5 ver.C Akira's shoulder ram is indeed -9 since DS vanessa's [3][P] can punish it.

8. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    To my knowledge, there are no differences between the shoulderrams in VF5 ver.B and ver.C.

In both of these Akira is at heavy disadvantage (-9) when the shoulder is blocked (not counting crouchblock stagger).