1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5FS and its Paradox of Presentation

Discussion in 'Console' started by masterpo, Jan 5, 2014.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    VF5FS is without a doubt is the most realistic looking of all the arcade fighters. It has the most realistic movements, graphics, and stages. VF5FS with its cadre of customizations has the most customization choices of any arcade fighter. So whats the problem? Just look at the how the customization is used in challenge mode. Its the zaniest shit I've ever seen.
    There's a Brad with a halo on his head and a wind up tool in his back, A Jeffrey with a bozo nose and fish hanging off his ass. Some really zany stuff! Okay there's nothing necessarily wrong with strange uses of customization but almost all of the fighters VF5FS (there are a few exceptions) in the challenge mode look ZANY! It ultimately takes away from the immersion and takes away from the realism :-(

The VF.TV Crew, Rumble-in-the Jungle, the Grab bag, the swag bag, the mixed bag, the frighteners ,etc are all major missed presentation opportunities. VF5FS has the best customization stuff but chose to present the most whacky of characters! Sega could have took each of those different levels and presented a different authentic look. However, each level in the challenge mode almost looks like the customization was added using random computer generation. I was just comparing the VF5FS presentation with SCV, DOA5, Tekken 6 and although each of those games are out there with some of their customization choices, VF5FS choice of customization mix is goofy, whimsical, whacky, and zany. Its almost as if the folks at AM2 said, 'Yea we have the most serious arcade FG' so we can afford to make the goofiest presentation.

Maybe they were just trying to take the edge off, but it doesn't work. VF5FS the most realistic looking , most and best customization choices, but the most ridiculous visual presentation of all the arcade FGs. Sega could have used The Bosses, the arcade kids, the frighteners, the grab bag etc to present traditional, urban, western, eastern, european, modern day, historic martial arts looks, but instead they went all out goofy.

Sega shoots itself in the foot every time it has the opportunity :-(

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    lol

3. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Why are all of your posts and topics so stupid?

kingo likes this.
  4. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    And your tag name is YOMI? LOL

MarlyJay likes this.
  5. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Reason I don't see a problem or issue with this is because you have to buy both DLC packs to even see those costumes anyways. So it's not like they're putting those custom outfits on display for people who don't have the DLC to sway them into buying them.. If you could play Special Sparring, and they had custom outfits on the CPU in the other single player modes that you could see without buying the DLC packs. Then I could somewhat see where that would matter a little more.

Where I think they messed up with the DLC is not being able to see them without buying them. In single player, and Online.I bet ththere's a lot of people who bought the game when it first came out that don't really play it anymore that had/have no idea you could make your character look completely different. Those kind of things can help a lot. Most people like cool looking (whatever cool looking to them is) characters and will play the game more because of that character. It kind of gives the game a different feel when you can personalize a character. And with all the options FS has, one could make any character of choice to look cool to them.

masterpo likes this.
  6. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    very good points.

And obviously, cool looking is in the eye of the beholder , no problem there. I guess the main point here is that the DLC customization is a missed opportunity with VF. From my fanboy perspective VF is superior in virtually every way to any other arcade FG out there (with the exception of maybe SC5 which has better stages and customization than VF). Like your point made, Sega could have demonstrated the awesome customization they had in single player modes if not in arcade mode then in the license challenges! And if not there, in the intro animations or ending animations. So that players could see some of the really legit customization possibilities there are in VF5FS. But No, no, no, the customizations are not show cased in any meaningful way, and what is show cased is done so through largely goofy combinations of articles randomly placed on characters :-(

Just do a quick comparison with Tekken 6's ghost battles, arcade battles character customizations and what is seen in VF5FS. Tekken 6 presents the coolest looks (in general) Yes VF5FS shows a good look here and there but in general Tekken 6 , does a better job :-(

7. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    VF is not realistic at all. It's an arcade game, and not a hand-to-hand combat simulator. It's always been a bit silly (see the bird on Jacky's stage in VF2).

8. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    I know what a realistic simulator is, I play UFC3 all the time. I know the difference. But VF5FS use of customization almost borders on comedy and that is simply not consistent with the rest of the game.

VF stages don't look like carnivals, the fighting styles are not zany, and character design are not clownish,

My point has nothing to do with realism mate.