1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5FS at NEC14!

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by FightClubHuBBs, Oct 10, 2013.

1. FightClubHuBBs

FightClubHuBBs Well-Known Member

PSN:
    FightClubHuBBs
    XBL:
    FightClubHuBBs
  2. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    My response: "TBH, VF is the deal-breaker toward my plans to go to NEC. Philly's kinda expensive"

BigE: "VF only has 5 players."

I guess BigE really doesn't care whether I try to go to his NEC tournament or not, huh? Can't say I'm surprised. My gut feeling was right, I should save my time and money.

oneida likes this.
  3. Drift

Drift Well-Known Member

That Facebook thread disheartens me, but Eric isn't wrong - exaggerating, of course, but not wrong. It is unfortunate that a grassroots campaign has to occur anytime VF wants to be officially included at a major, but TOs are like TV network execs: "Show me the numbers or go home." Quality of the product is secondary; Critical darlings are often commercial failures. I don't blame or harbor ill will toward the large TOs; They have a responsibility to put asses in seats. In addition, fighting game tournaments have historically been grassroots efforts. If people wanted to play it, they did what was necessary to make it happen. Just this year, we've seen what can happen when the players want it enough (Smash @ Evo). I believe that VF players are every bit as passionate as other communities, but our voices are saddeningly small and the distance disturbingly great.

Tricky likes this.
  4. FightClubHuBBs

PSN:
    FightClubHuBBs
    XBL:
    FightClubHuBBs
    Truth is blackstar, I'd love to have vf5 at all our nec events but when the game was a main game, and even when I was throwing money at it, barely anyone played it. I can't really continue to keep adding a game to the line-up just out of my love for it. We need the numbers to be there. I stopped having doa4 after the numbers stopped coming. Almost 2 years with no doa tournaments at big e events.

Now if people in the vf community were passionate enough that they would travel for more than just going to evo or the sega cup, then vf would probably still be on the lineup for not just big e events, but other majors as well.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  5. Rare_Entity

Rare_Entity Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Rare_Entity
    XBL:
    Rare Entity
    I can certainly see how Eric's comments would put you off of paying to go to NEC or any other tourney he has for that matter, however I would definitely like the chance to play you in person if you were to go.

That being said, I'm thinking of just getting a hotel room there for Saturday night and hosting some casuals, money matches or whatever regardless if there is an official tourney or not.

6. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    I would love to get some casuals with Blackstar too. I had my chance at Sega Cup but I was busy playing other people and missed my chance. Just getting a room for 1 night would be a good deal but I would rather get a room with someone else. It would be nice to know who is hosting casuals in their room if they go as well. I am really interested in going to it if more interest builds up for it.

7. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I'd say blackstar would be better off saving his cash for the next NYG

oneida and Kamais_Ookin like this.
  8. wingchun_warrior

wingchun_warrior Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I agree with fight vf players are full of shit there not passionate enough I would go if vf will be there but vf players always got lame excuses why they can't go that's y vf is not as big as the rest there is no vf support wich makes it weak in the fighting game community an that's y there probably never be a vf6 to many weak fans with no passion

9. FightClubHuBBs

PSN:
    FightClubHuBBs
    XBL:
    FightClubHuBBs
    that's going a little to far. the majority of vf players are on average in their 30's with families now.

ExzetyXat1 likes this.
  10. daRockReaper

daRockReaper Shadow Hammer MADNESS Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    daRockReaper
    XBL:
    daRockReaper612
    Honestly I would be there in a heartbeat if I had the money but Im barely scraping by as it it is. And it's kinda hard to get some one to pick up my 11 hour shift on Saturdays