1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5FS Pre-Launch Party Interview: Chibita & Fuudo

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 27, 2012.

By Myke on May 27, 2012 at 3:12 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [​IMG]Continuing on with VF5FS Pre-Launch Party interviews, this time I sat down with Chibita and Fuudo to run through some questions submitted by the VFDC community.

These legends of VF let us know what new players to FS should focus on, as well as sharing their personal opinions on the direction FS has taken. Chibita constantly reminded us how great a player he is, while the thoughtful Fuudo provides insight into the entirely different approaches he takes when preparing for VF and SF tournaments.

A huge thanks to L_A, Mai (SEGA) and Patrick (SEGA) for helping with the translations!

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 27, 2012.

1. Myke
      Myke
      [​IMG]
      L_A, Fuudo, Chibita, Myke

VF5FS Pre-Launch Party Interview: Chibita and Fuudo
      The interview below took place during the VF5FS Pre-Launch Party. Please note that this is not a direct transcript of Chibita and Fuudo's replies, but rather a translation-come-summary of what they had to say. Enjoy!

What is the most important defensive mechanism in FS?

Chibita: Defense? I don’t use defense! Since I get hit a lot, I’m more concerned about hitting the other guy more!
      Fuudo: Fuzzy guard is probably the no.1 defensive technique. This is then followed by knowing when and where to abare (attack from disadvantage when you guess a throw is coming).

What is your opinion on tiers in FS? Does everyone have an equal chance?

Chibita: I don’t really think about tiers or which character is stronger than another. I think every character has a chance to win. Even if you tell me Jacky is really strong, I don’t see Jacky players winning every tournament.
      Fuudo: I also agree that every character stands a chance at winning.

Are you coming to EVO this year to compete in FS?

Chibita: hmmm... I'm thinking about it.
      Fuudo: Yes, I'm definitely going to be there, and will enter VF5FS!

Is there interest from other Japanese Virtua Fighter player to attend EVO this year?

Fuudo: I know of at least three people that are seriously considering going: Kamaage, Aopai, Shironoko. I also know that some others are interested as well.

Do you like the direction that VF has taken with FS?

Chibita: I think that FS feels a little slower than VF5, but I really like the side attack game in FS much more!
      Fuudo: I felt that VF5 had more emphasis on technique, which is something I really liked.

Is there anything you’d like to see added in a future version of VF?

Chibita: (after long thought) hmmm... It's not something I ever think about. I just look forward to them releasing a future version!
      Fuudo: I'd like to see more emphasis on execution techniques. For example, crouch dash inputs which previously could be used as a command for a throw, also had the ability to duck under a high attack.

A recent Arcadia magazine showed FS as being more popular than SF4 in Japanese arcades. How do you feel about VF’s chances at becoming popular outside of Japan?

Chibita: hmmm... I'm not sure of it’s chances, but I definitely want it to be popular outside Japan. I definitely think it’s an easier version to get into, and probably the most accessible version of VF for beginners.

Is there a specific aspect of the game that can make it stand out amongst the competition? What makes VF stand out?

Fuudo: when playing VF, you’re playing against a person. In 2D games, you’re usually just playing against the other character.

With only two people reaching the Tenshoushin rank - Itoshun and Joseph - what is your opinion on how rare it is to reach this rank? Do you like how the ranking system works?

Chibita: I don't like that the ranking system is much more looser now. By that I mean you don't even have to be the same rank to affect another player's ranking. I also feel that it's really hard to reach the final rank of Tenshoushin.

Who are the up-and-coming VF players from Japan these days?

Chibita: There are always a lot of strong players, but I can still beat them all! (laughs)

Do you know about Busta and Shiwa, these guys are young (approx. 20 yrs old?) and quite strong?

Chibita: They’re still young so... they’ve got some more learning to do. [​IMG]

For new players transitioning from VF5 to VF5FS, what should they focus on the most?

Chibita: Learn your combos, including your wall combos, and Yutori (easy throw escape) is really important too!

Who do you consider are the strongest players in Japan at the moment?

Chibita: Lots of players are strong, but I’m really the strongest. (laughs)
      Fuudo: The usual bunch are still strong (e.g. itoshun, joseph, etc).
      Chibita: ... and even if I lose, I still feel that I’m stronger! (more laughs)

Did you prefer the multiple throw escape system or the new FS system, and why?

Chibita: I preferred the TE system in VF3 better, but without the yutori input. (In other words, TE still required yomi and you had a small window to enter the input).
      Fuudo: I preferred the TE system in VF4 with multi inputs, because I was quite good at it.

Will you ever play the console version of FS online?

Chibita: I definitely think I'd like to play it, as it would be a great chance to play people abroad.
      Fuudo: I definitely want to try it online!

What is your favourite version of Virtua Fighter?

Chibita: VF5 (Note: after much back-and-forth between VF3 and VF5, Chibita finally settles on VF5)
      Fuudo: My favourite was VF4.

However, they both liked and enjoyed every version they played!

We know that Fuudo plays Street Fighter, so do you (Chibita) play any other games as well?

Chibita: Nothing recent, but used to play Street Fighter EX as Blanka!

What motivates you to stay at the top of your game?

Chibita: My motivation is the good feeling I get from winning! More importantly, it feels good to do something that looks awesome while others are watching. Winning by itself is boring!
      Fuudo: I'm not really motivated by winning or anything like that. I just like to play, and it just happens that I end up playing well!?

Who is your main character, and have you always played with them?

Chibita: I started with Akira, but then switched to Lion in VF3 and haven't looked back ever since. I've never even thought of changing character actually, and I'd go as far to say that if Lion was taken out of VF, then I may not even play again!
      Fuudo: I started with Lion in VF4, but then switched to Shun in VF5 and FS. I then started using Jacky in FS Rev.1, but I tend to prefer Shun in tournaments as I feel he is a simple character. Jacky has some very difficult combos which I would risk dropping during a tournament, so in these situations I'd prefer to use Shun.

When you (Fuudo) compete in more than one fighting game, especially at EVO, how do you balance your training across two games?

Fuudo: Depends on the timing of tournaments. If I just have a VF or SF tournament coming up, then I can just focus on the one game. But my training methods differ between the two games. In VF, I'm only really interested in the people I'll be playing again, and so I'll try to look for their habits. In SF, on the other hand, it’s less about my opponent, and more about my opponent's character. There are a lot of character matchups to learn in SF, and this takes a lot of time!

End of interview. Huge thanks again to Chibita and Fuudo for taking some time out for us to do this interview, despite how tired and jetlagged they were! Also, special thanks to L_A, Mai (SEGA) and Pat (SEGA) for help with the translations!
    2. JackyB
      JackyB
      Fuudo: I started with Lion in VF4, but then switched to Shun in VF5 and FS. I then started using Jacky in FS Rev.1, but I tend to prefer Shun in tournaments as I feel he is a simple character. Jacky has some very difficult combos which I would risk dropping during a tournament, so in these situations I'd prefer to use Shun.

This made me lol, some much for everyone trying to call Jacky players scrubs.
    3. Faded
      Faded
      Great read. Love getting these guy's opinions on the overall direction of vf's evolution.
    4. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      From Fuudo's mouth.
    5. Kamais_Ookin
      Kamais_Ookin
      Damn so many of my questions being displayed there lol.

If it's really true that Kamaage, Aoipai, Shironoko and perhaps Chibita attend the FS tournament in Evo we really have to step our shit up! [​IMG]

Thanks very much for the interview Myke! [​IMG]
    6. AnimalStaccato
      AnimalStaccato
      Ahh Chibita, what a character.

Whay I just noticed you asked my question. Brilliant!

I'm not surprised by Chibitas answers. I think I understand his mindset after trying to ape his play style for so many years.
    7. total_tekken6
      total_tekken6
      For a future version of VF5:FS I want a kinect/PS move mode. Also do this on future Virtua Fighter Games & make the motion control better than ever. you feel me?
    8. Plume
      Plume
      Aww, so no clarification of Fuudo's comments about the game not rewarding technique as much as before. I suppose I can understand why it was ignored... It would be anti-hype.

Judging from his other answers and him playing SF, he seems to be more interested in execution skills and being rewarded for it, rather than mind games, so I guess this is why he lost some interest in VF.
    9. Tomoe
      Tomoe
      I agree with Fuudo. My favorite version is VF4 also.. and Vf4evo... [​IMG] But I love Vf5.. [​IMG]
    10. BlackGeneral
      BlackGeneral
      Chibita: if I win, I'm stronger. When I lose, I'm STILL stronger.
      Competition, hold that shit.
    11. Shidosha
      Shidosha
      i get the strange suspicion that fuudo doesn't like people...
    12. JHow77
      JHow77
      <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the most important defensive mechanism in FS?

Chibita: Defense? I don’t use defense! Since I get hit a lot, I’m more concerned about hitting the other guy more!</div></div>

I can't tell you how much I love this answer!!! My sentiments exactly!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuudo: when playing VF, you’re playing against a person. In 2D games, you’re usually just playing against the other character.</div></div>

So true!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What motivates you to stay at the top of your game?

Chibita: My motivation is the good feeling I get from winning! More importantly, it feels good to do something that looks awesome while others are watching. Winning by itself is boring!</div></div>

Again, amazing! Gee, do you think Chibita has "the competitive edge?" This is one of the main reasons why he is so good. And it's so awesome to hear him share the same opinion of mine about making the match look flashy so others can appreciate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuudo: I'm not really motivated by winning or anything like that. I just like to play, and it just happens that I end up playing well!?</div></div>

Respectable and humble answer, but this is why you'll never be better than Chibita. (No disrespect intended.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who is your main character, and have you always played with them?

Chibita: I started with Akira, but then switched to Lion in VF3 and haven't looked back ever since. I've never even thought of changing character actually, and I'd go as far to say that if Lion was taken out of VF, then I may not even play again!</div></div>

Switchnation what? =)
    13. Chief_Flash
      Chief_Flash
      Chibita is officially my favorite japanese player LOLOL >:j problem?
    14. L_A
      L_A
      Respectable and humble answer, but this is why you'll never be better than Chibita. (No disrespect intended.)

</div></div>

It's tough to really understand the mind of a genius if you are not one yourself. No disrespect to you, Jesse, but Fuudo is a problem solving/analysis genius who likes gaming. From the few hours I spent with him talking to him, I could see this right away based on the way he talks and answers certain questions. I, personally am NOT a genius either but I know enough of them to know how they speak and act. [​IMG]
    15. archangel
      archangel
      LOL awesome interview
    16. JHow77
      JHow77
      If you are familiar with Jungian psychology, my guess then is that Fuudo is the type, INTP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intp).

I have a good friend who is this type and is by far the smartest person I know. The crazy thing is that it is estimated that only 1 to 2% of the world population is this type, and there are only 16 types to categorize people.
    17. L_A
      L_A
      Imo he certainly fits the INTP type from what I have seen.
    18. JHow77
      JHow77
      It's great that you got to spend time with them, Gerald. Chibita hasn't been to the US much has he? The last time I saw him in person was at the then popular Shinjuku arcade in 1998 when they had about 10 VF3TB machines all lined up. Friday and Saturday nights were just packed, and Chibita only played on the end machine. =)

Man those were the days!
    19. Aidan
      Aidan
      Thx for the interview, guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a specific aspect of the game that can make it stand out amongst the competition? What makes VF stand out?

Fuudo: when playing VF, you’re playing against a person. In 2D games, you’re usually just playing against the other character.</div></div>
      Thats an interesting statement. I never really saw it that way, but its actually true.