1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5FS side tourney @ EVO 2018?

Discussion in 'General' started by BLACKSTAR, Feb 8, 2018.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Oh, I don't mean to sound like I don't believe you, just that I think we're thinking about different player groups. I agree with you 100% people won't travel just for VF, but I feel like when there's as many attendees as Evo gets, there must be a lot of people who play VF among them already.

I would love to do more to run it, but I live in Australia so what I can do is limited this time :(

What do you guys need to know about running a bracket? I can help out.

2. Kori_Maru15

Kori_Maru15 Member

@MadeManG74 I have some experience with Challonge and making sets for them but only through single elimination brackets due to the timing schedule I had to deal with during SEGA Fan Jam to keep the event flowing without conflicts.

3. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    S
    shit everything. I'm a complete noob.

4. MadeManG74

Hopefully we can get some guys with more experience to help you out, but it's not too difficult.

The technical side is just seeding- ranking players from best to worst, then starting the event on the webpage and reporting the scores for matches.

Other than that, it's just policing that people are on time, collecting results, explaining the rules etc.

When it's double elimination, the website will take care of who goes where when they lose a match for you. Once you've set it up you just need to read the matches from the page and get the right people to sit down and play.

5. Kori_Maru15

Kori_Maru15 Member

Sounds easy to me. All we need is a list of people who's going to EVO.

6. MadeManG74

That's the next step.we have, what 3 consoles now?

If you guys are confident to run it, i can help you put together a challonge bracket and then we can post about sign ups. Give me a a day or two to put together.

7. MadeManG74

Which console should you run on? Virtua Revival made a good point that sticks will probably mostly be PS3/PS4?

8. Kori_Maru15

Kori_Maru15 Member

Hmm if that's the case, probably 360 and I may have to reinstall VF5FS again to a spare 360 that I have.

People would need to bring their own controller and sticks compatible with the 360.

9. MadeManG74

Don't worry, tournaments are always expected to by BYO Controller now.

@Kori_Maru15 @Jason Elbow I just realised we are getting ahead of ourselves.
    Before we start doing all this, has anybody registered for Evo or applied to run the side tournament?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdOrVmm-yAL-xwTTnmYxEmAIQqtTcdaJVMCbxyLVhRcxHGr0A/viewform

Someone attending will need to fill this out before we can start taking sign ups.

Also to consider if we want it to be paid or free tournament :)

10. Kori_Maru15

Kori_Maru15 Member

I can do that for ya. Send me a message through Discord DM

11. Kori_Maru15

Kori_Maru15 Member

I'll fill it out tonight after I leave from work. @Jason Elbow I got this fam.

12. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    My 2 cents: Im 100% willing to provide at least 2 setups including monitors for 360 or PS3 and help with brackets IF we can confirm if we are going to try and get byoc setup space if there is any even available for us

13. MadeManG74

Good man! That's what Kori is doing now applications, hopefully have some news soon.

14. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Like I said I got a 360 and monitor setup. And I believe it will be a BYOC type event. Also I will help brackets and anything else. Let me ask? Are people who organized the tourney able to enter as well?

15. MadeManG74

Yep, the TO can enter.

16. Kori_Maru15

Kori_Maru15 Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, the application has been filled!

17. BeastEG

BeastEG Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BeastyEG
    Hiya!

I'm actually going to EVO because our bud wanted his Bachelor Party there! Been kind of itchin' for some VF5:FS (dropped it because my hand was hurting but due to the miracle of modern medicine, I have a pain free hand again!) Just wanted to check in on what is going on.

1) Sounds like we are def having a side event?
    2) If I was to consider bringing a rig, any advice for traveling on a plane with stuff? (Mainly, monitor, PS3 (or PS4), stick, and controller?

Cheers!

18. Kori_Maru15

Kori_Maru15 Member

Hey what's up! :)

1) I filled out the form to have our side tournament but still waiting on a response from an EVO rep.
    2) You can definitely bring consoles and accessories for Virtua Fighter however I believe were using the 360 version as the main console.

BeastEG likes this.
  19. BeastEG

BeastEG Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BeastyEG
    Cool!

I guess I was looking for what's the best way to deal with flying with electronics since I have to imagine checking that stuff in is a royal BITCH.

20. Kori_Maru15

Kori_Maru15 Member

Gentlemen, I just received an email response and happy to say that we have been approved for a side tournament at EVO!

I'll speak with @MadeManG74 on further instructions on what needs to be done to have this tournament up and ready.

IcKY99, adamYUKI and Mister like this.