1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5FS Special Sparring Mode (Better than Quest Mode?)

Discussion in 'Console' started by masterpo, Jun 6, 2013.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    The more I play special sparring mode the more I like it.

Special Sparring Mode is a mode that you can unlock in VF5FS once you have all of the DLC. It consists
    of 20 different sparring groups with over 140 unique sparring partners. You can set the difficulty all the way to very hard, and I believe the number of rounds as well. Although the number of sparring partners in each group is fixed and they appear in the same order, thier styles are not so fixed. IMO they are far better than the AI in quest mode in VF5. They are more challenging, they can be cheap, they can spam, and they can serve up sophisticated 4,5,6 and 7 hit combos. Yep at least 7 hits ( I got caught against the cage once and verified that).

Maybe its just me, but depending on the difficulty they seem to have different styles, and depending on whether you are playing agressive offense,defensively, turtling, distancing, poking, etc they seem to behave a little differently. I hope someone else can check me on this. Maybe I'm reading more into this mode than what is actually there, but these sparring partners are reasonably good. I would say that noobs cannot beat them on very hard, and that on very hard they play like intermediate to good players (at least from my perspective). Although Quest mode VF5 was a little more random the AI in Quest Mode does not compare to what you find in Special Sparring Mode.

Here are the 20 sparring groups with a total of 144 unique AI's to spar against:

1. VF Academy

2. Dreamers

3. In the Stars

4. Underworld

5. Sega Maniacs

6. Beach Bums

7. Arcade Kids

8. Frightful

9. Travel Agents

10. Creatures

11. VF Marching Band

12. Go West

13. VF.TV Camera Crew

14. Rumble Jungle

15. KOT Trial

16. Chefs

17. Mixed Bag

18. Grab Bag

19. Swag Bag

20. The Bosses

Every Kage, Lei Fei, Taka, Jean, etc is different. Each one has a certain approach, and are meant to teach you how to deal with certain styles. If you haven't opened special sparring mode up yet, or haven't tried it yet, I strongly suggest you do. For those times when nobody is online, (or at leat nobody that you want to fight is online), hit the sparring sessions.

I'm not sure whether each group is of equal difficulty or not. Does anybody know? For instance are the sparring partners in "Frightful" less difficult that the sparring partners found in "The Bosses"?

Can some of the intermediate -to - good VF players out there rate the AI in these 20 groups for difficulty and adaptablity. The expert players will probably have no problem with these AI, but the average player will find them a challenge.

I'm too biased on this one, I liked the mode so much I might be seeing something that's not actually there.

How good are the 144 sparring partners?

Does anyone care to rate & rank them?

-------------------------
    VF Academy
    Jason - Lion
    Plague - Akira
    Kei-Sei - Lei Fei
    Gohsen - Goh
    Queen of Hearts - Sarah
    Shhh - Kage
    CKA - Shun

Dreamers
    Siba - Akira
    Big Jerry - Taka
    Switchnationer - Jean
    Krysta Marie - Pai
    Blossom - Aoi
    Brinnies - Sarah
    Gretchen - Eileen
    Sumo Sect - Taka

In the Stars
    Drem - Goh
    Mahoney - Wolf
    Ladon - Blaze
    Dos - Blaze
    Kuroe M - Aoi
    Laya - Sarah
    Blue Flash - Jacky
    Kimari Chin - Shun
    Omne - Jeffry

Underworld
    Wreckshop - Jeffry
    Sleepy Sifu - Lei Fei
    Grace - Sarah
    KamiKAGE - Kage
    New kid in town - Jean

Sega Maniacs
    SKYLAR - Brad
    Biscuit - Jeffry
    Beatdown - Vanessa
    Alex Vice - Vanessa
    Twinkle Toes - Sarah
    Air Brace - Blaze
    Tokio - Lau
    Sammo - Vanessa

Beach Bums
    Lyn - Pai
    Heidi - Sarah
    Stephie Rawks - Aoi
    Kat - Vanessa
    Kei Mikado - Eileen
    Picky - Lion
    Spike - Jean
    Curtain Call - Brad

Arcade Kids
    Max - Jean
    HAPPYKN - Eileen
    R0RY - Akira
    Kobi - Aoi
    Bouncer - Jeffry
    O-papa - Taka
    Da Illest - Lau

Frightful
    Specter - Lion
    Zass - Wolf
    JC Black - Wolf
    Pie Eater - Pai
    Bahn - Akira

Travel Agents
    Stomp out loud - Lion
    Gilty - Jacky
    Stalking Mantis - Lion
    Marek - Shun
    Agent V - Vanessa
    Kim - Vanessa
    El Twelve - Blaze

Creatures
    Myke - Kage
    Stl Jazz - Pai
    Lounger - Shun
    KuHoshi - Jean
    Peaky - Aoi
    Bobby Hitopopo - Akira
    I am back Baby! - Taka

VF Marching Band
    Sharkone - Jacky
    Jagi - Brad
    Tobi Turpentine - Jeffry
    Lau Chan - Akira
    Mark - Jean
    ST - Aoi

Go West
    Koji Sakujin - Eileen
    Cowboy - Lei Fei
    Jon Goh - Goh
    Deputy - Lei Fei
    Caitlin - Pai
    Courier - Taka

VF.TV Camera Crew
    Frisco Kid - Lion
    Oh my! - Blaze
    Snake Bite - Jeffry
    Ash Kaiser - Wolf
    Missy - Aoi
    Matt Cage - Kage

Rumble Jungle
    Donny King - Lau
    Rocket Blaze 23 - Blaze
    Dangoo - Lei Fei
    Green Bryant - Lion
    Oshizzle1000 - Pai
    Heather Swan - Sarah
    Mary - Sarah
    Marcus - Shun
    Alan - Jeffry
    Lee Chan - Lau

KOT Trial
    Charlie Sam - Brad
    Server - Blaze
    Krowz - Jeffry
    Nes enFuego - Akira
    Marsanne - Pai
    Tripsem - Aoi
    Billie - Jean
    Jing-Cheng - Lau

Chefs
    Nate - Brad
    Knox Patch - Kage
    Syzygy - Shun
    Flint Satori - Jacky
    Jerry Nice - Lei-Fei
    Mullen - Eileen
    Govnor - Lion

Mixed Bag
    JR - Kage
    Peter - Lau
    The Captain - Jean
    FiGohroh - Goh
    " Supa Tay" - Blaze
    Rick - Goh
    Mary Beth - Eileen

Grab Bag
    Elleannore - Eileen
    The Wizard - Goh
    Minh - Jacky
    RYO - Akira
    Mr. Eagle - Brad
    Ethan - Akira
    Tommy - Lei Fei
    Corinne - Vanessa

Swag Bag
    Sarah Sea - Vanessa
    Johnny Rockstar - Wolf
    Big Kev - Taka
    Mai - Eileen
    Jeff - Jacky
    Jun - Wolf
    Master Ruben - Lau
    Mel Bracken - Brad

The Bosses
    Lee - Brad
    Super Jumbo - Taka
    Oolongee - Shun
    Perrin - Wolf
    Master L - Lau
    One Pocket - Goh
    Frank - Kage

2. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    I could swear they get harder as you progress. I think I am on VF.TV Camera Crew now. Of the ones I've played recently the one that sicks out in my mind is ST - Aoi. She was brutal. I think it took over an hour to beat her. I remember because she was at the end of the group and I had to take a break at one point and do something else before coming back to try and beat her. She was harder for me than anyone else in the group so I guess maybe it depends what you are good at/used to.

I like that you have to beat them all in one sitting to clear the stage which is pretty old school. It's tough to judge their difficulty because my skill level has also changed over time. I just find them to be consistently tough.

3. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I wrote notes on these matches such as which moves they seem to favor, which direction of throws they use mostly, if they use sabaki/reversal/inashi, good at blocking lows, how difficult or easy they are to me, etc. (Most are easy). I was told that when you choose a different difficulty level that they change up their tactics so I tested this on a few and they mostly seem to be the same no matter what you choose. Alot of the matchups I didn't leave any notes since they didn't do anything that stood out as spammy or unique from the other matchups with same character.

4. nou

nou Well-Known Member

I remember saying this back when people were bitching about the lack of Quest Mode ( and FS in general).

Yes I want a cookie.

Shinobi, masterpo and Tricky like this.
  5. Drift

Drift Well-Known Member

Choose 5 rounds to win, 200 health you, 260 CPU, and very hard. Now, restart the entire group every time you lose. This should provide a decent challenge. Once you can do this consistently, Special Sparring mode is just for warm-up.

masterpo likes this.
  6. leftylizard

leftylizard Well-Known Member

XBL:
    blue mouthwash
    I would like to play special sparring mode,but I aint paying for all the dlc costumes.

7. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    It's not THAT important.

It's useful for getting the mechanics of the game down. Otherwise you can go into the dojo and set the AI to it's hardest setting, with all the details set to random and get the same experience.

8. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Dingo this is Bad advise to lefty lizard, because Dojo on random with AI on hard is not the same as Special Sparring

1) Each of the 144 fighters have a unique game plan, set of attacks , favorite spams, combos, etc. (RANDOM CANNOT DUPLICATE THIS!)

2) Each of the 20 sparring groups present you with different fighters, so you can chose the set of fighters you want to spar with (DOJO does not let you do this)

3) Each 144 fighters have a different look (some of the costumes are Fucking Tight!) DOJO
    does not take advantage of DLC of different costumes there fore it can get monotonous
    visually!

4) Also the stages are constantly changing as your sparring partners change. Changing characters then selecting stages in DOJO is not the same thing.

lefty! you are missing out on a nice mode in the game. You simply cannot duplicate the experience in DOJO because contrary to Dingo's implication each of the 144 sparring partners have (their own style), and do try to teach you certain lessons. Random mode on Dojo doesn't cut it.

I've been through Special Sparring Session 6 or 7 times, each fight is fresh although the fighters have their own styles they present a different take on them every time I've played.

Based on Dingo's advise, I can only assume he's never completely played sparring sessions, and if he did, he wasn't paying close attention.

That mode is well worth the price of the DLC, well worth it!!!!!!

cobratron likes this.
  9. Shinobi

Shinobi Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Spiros_1978
    I usually play Score Attack and Arcade Mode (FS has the best credits in the series), I haven't try SSM in Very Hard yet, so I'll give it a try next time .

As for the AI, SEGA has done a magnificient job and It's a real shame that many people don't appreciate it. No other fighting game can match that.

Tricky and Mr. Goggles like this.
  10. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

The credits are amazing

Shinobi likes this.
  11. ToyDingo

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    Any of the modes on "Hard" are useless for learning anything other than simple mechanics of the game. The AI on "Hard" does not properly take advantage of the situations it is in and is thus not a proper learning tool.

Actually, the AI doesn't really have "personalities". True some of the characters in SSM do certain things, but each AI Akira typically responds in a similar fashion...

You can choose who you want to spar with in Dojo, so I'm not sure what you're hinting at here...

......Whatever floats your boat homie...

You can choose which ever stage you want to spar in in Dojo, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here...

SSM, is what it is, a nice leisure mode to break the monotony of online play. In a game that is seriously lacking modes, that's not a bad thing. But to call it anymore than that would be erroneous.

That's my opinion at least. The AI in Dojo set to Very Hard with random settings provides a much more challenging experience than anything in SSM. You also have the benefit of turning on the frame data display to give you better knowledge of each move and what you can/cannot do as a response.

12. Drift

Drift Well-Known Member

Brodi, I disagree, but for reasons different than po's. The main benefit that playing in Special Sparring provides (with the rules I described earlier) which Dojo does not offer is the tangible result of winning or losing. You cannot win nor lose in Dojo. There is nothing on the line and you cannot accurately judge your skill vs the AI (which only means you've learned the basics, I agree.) Using Dojo only, you can only guess at how often you're doing the right things. If you can consistently run through any given group in Special Sparring, you have proven that you can: punish, maximize combo damage, capitalize on advantage (flowcharts and nitaku), avoid unnecessary risks, and defend well. You won't have to assume nor guess whether you can do these things. If you can't, you won't make to the end. If you can, then you have a fighting chance against real people.

13. Seminasuke

Seminasuke Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Seminasuke
    I prefer the R version, personally. A shame that it isn't captured in higher quality.

14. Shinobi

Shinobi Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Spiros_1978
    Man, I can't get enough of it! VF needs stuff like that. Come on SEGA, show the world how cool VF chatacters can be ;)

As for the AI, nobody expects to deliver the same level of challenge as the one you can get from a human opponent. Back in the old VF4 Evo days, the enemy AI was the only way to learn how to fight other characters. The AI can't turn you into a high level player, but it's a good way to learn the basics of the game.

15. leftylizard

leftylizard Well-Known Member

XBL:
    blue mouthwash
    I appreciate your advice and info. I will keep special sparring in mind.

16. capt_catalina

capt_catalina Well-Known Member

PSN:
    capt_catalina
    I really enjoyed the Special Sparing teams in general, as they do really allow you to gauge your performance pretty well. Each have their unique approach to a fight, thus what could be easy for one character could be brutal for another. Great offline training outside of playing another player offline.

17. 001

001 Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

i think special sparring is a decent way to practice things you learn in dojo against a moving opponent.

here are a couple vids if you haven't seen special sparring on very hard in action. my play is sloppy but you can see the cpu is pretty active and will punish you. and do things like evade and fuzzy.

vs. the bosses in default costumes

vs. the bosses in their alternate costumes

to play against the cpu's alternate costume just pick your character's "B" costume by holding start while you select your character.

smbhax likes this.
  18. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk

Brodi, Brodi, Brodi :) First your perspective is totally one of a seasoned veteran that's done it all and seen it all and obviously your not easily impressed. But I'm almost embarrassed to ask you this, but have you really (honestly) even played sparring mode? ( I have the sneaky suspicion that you did not go for all the DLC (and therefore might not have it) forgive me if I'm wrong. But the Dojo is a completely different feature than special sparring mode and each has something to offer that the other one doesn't. For new players, for fresh players, for casual, to intermedia players for beginning advanced players the Special Sparring sessions have a great deal to offer.

Perhaps for players like you, that are so advanced that you can only appreciate the most advanced aspects of VF, maybe Special Sparring mode comes up short. But for the the rest of us mere mortals, its a great mode. And in the spirit of what this thread was originally about, I think its far better than Quest Mode for VF5.

If you had to compare the two, which do you think is best?

19. ToyDingo

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    Flattery? Please continue...

I've completed all of the SSM teams. Although the AIs had "personalities", they all were still an AI that falls to stupid AI tricks.

To each his own, I personally got more out of beating up the Very Hard AI Dojo Dummy because of the extra information I could display to give me instant feedback on particular moves and techniques.

Sadly (as far as I know) you can't save or watch replays of your sessions with the AI in SSM. So how can you see and analyze why and how your move/technique failed?

...Go on...

Again, to each his own, but I preferred Quest Mode.

It was still an AI that did stupid AI things, but the idea was great and the random "tournaments" vs AI opponents was fun. I'd hope that Sega could in the future add an online quest mode populated by both human and AI opponents.

Again, this is my opinion but SSM did nothing for me. The only thing it and the other offline modes did for me was help me work on movement mechanics. Yet, yomi is a big part of this game, and you can't yomi an AI.

To each his own...

Coroo likes this.
  20. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Just to add, the very best CPUs on quest were better than they are here for the simple reason they did a lot closer to max damage on average. The CPU here is nowhere close. Even with it falling for the stuff it does, it'd actually be very challenging if it did (or learnt from the player - why do fighting games no longer do this?) max damage combos.

The best CPU was the one in evo. That could be downright brutal.