1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5FS Special Sparring Mode (Better than Quest Mode?)

Discussion in 'Console' started by masterpo, Jun 6, 2013.

1. aoi ameindei

aoi ameindei Well-Known Member

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    from what i can tell arcade mode cpus learn from the player

2. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

Its all good, got nothin but love and respect for ya Brodi, Just remember you're advanced, and your opinion is so qualified you might have even forgotten what it feels like not to know what you know about the game. Anywho, I see your point on Quest Mode in VF5 I also missed those underground tournments i.e Mirror Matches, Venus, etc.

OKay, so there are 5 AI groups in VF5FS

Arcade Mode AI
    Dojo AI
    Scoring Mode AI
    Special sparring AI
    License challenges AI

From your posts you prefer the Dojo AI for your punching bag, but outside of the Dojo AI
    would you rate all the rest of them the same? on very hard?

I haven't finished my License challenges yet I'm still at B. But the License challenges (i guess for some obvious reasons) AI seem to me different than Sparring Session AI.

For those really advanced players that would know, do all The AI groups in VF5FS fall for the same tricks, setups, combos etc? Or are some groups more advanced or adaptable than others? For example are the License challenge AI's a little smarter than the Special Sparring AIs?

3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    It does not. Not in the way i'm talking about i assure you. You can hit it with max damage combos all day. If you then use another character and fight the one you were using the CPU will not know those combos. It's a shame they didn't update the AI for the console release.

4. Drift

Drift Well-Known Member

Marly, that's why I set the rules I do. 200 health for you, 260 for CPU, 5 rounds to win, and very hard. That way, the fact that the CPU doesn't do max damage combos is less important.

Shag likes this.
  5. aoi ameindei

aoi ameindei Well-Known Member

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    true it only learns small combos and tricks and uses moves more but it does learn

masterpo likes this.
  6. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    For new to intermediate players, Special Sparring is a nice feature. When I come across players that are just running one max damage combo after the next, I know these are mostly high level players and don't represent the average player. In my experience, the average player's combos land in the 3 hit to 4 hit range, far from max damage, so the average player probably would not notice the AI's weaknesses that our advanced players are so keen to point out.

The average VF player will find Special Sparring mode (when set to highest level both challenging and enjoyable and probably will like it better than quest mode for VF5.

beanboy and GrandpaLoafers like this.
  7. JSM

JSM Active Member

PSN:
    JSM_9999
    XBL:
    JSM9999
    Is it possible to play on the "2p side" ?

8. smbhax

smbhax Well-Known Member

PSN:
    smbhax
    The Special Sparring AI on Very Hard can in general be beaten by spamming a few simple moves, which does not work against the higher dan ranks in VF5 Quest mode (on Hard):

The FS AI is more aggressive, but that may be to its own detriment. Also, characters in general had their offensive power increased from 5 to FS, but the AI's defensive ability does not seem to have been ramped up to compensate.