1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5R Kage Changes

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Jide, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

Thanks for the translation! I really like these changes.

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Myke, does Shippujin /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif replace the old SH /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif? Or is it the same initial move plus a follow-up?

I have to say I'm disappointed they made Kage's SH /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif evade-able to Kage's back -- this is the same direction as SH /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. He doesn't have SH catch throw either which means the only way he can beat those evading to his back while in SH is to delay attack. Yikes. Also, why make Kage automatically exit from Jumonji stance? It wasn't like JM was very strong to begin with. Ah well.

His throw game is also now kinda pedestrian: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif takes about 63 points, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif takes 50 points, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif 45 points, and now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif takes 45 points. And of course, no catch throw. These amount to a big downgrade compared to the Kage of old.

Kage's two additions that seem most promising are /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. The former seems like a move he can use often in strings (assuming he's safe on block, and he should be) and the latter is a way to discourage attackers and get damage. I guess /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif knocking down is also an upgrade on Kage's mC ability. Overall though it seems like he's been significantly weakened and Kage players will be forced to use a wider variety of moves.

I hope this gets some Kage-haters happy and a few fair weather fans off the Kage bandwagon. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I'm OK with these changes as it should place Kage firmly in the middle tier.

3. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Doesn't SH /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif track to the opposite direction of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif?

4. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

To slow of a move to matter.

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It executes in 34 frames, which means that even if Kage is at +10 the opponent can evade and still guard the move. Kage gets a stagger sure but as in Wolf's immortal words, "So what!"

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    From Jide's original post, he said the combo potential for shippu /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif had been reduced. So based on that I'm guessing shippu /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif no longer knocks down, so you're forced to hit-check and make the followup P knockdown for the combo.

Similar to the nerf the normal /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif underwent when it changed to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif for combos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yikes. Also, why make Kage automatically exit from Jumonji stance? It wasn't like JM was very strong to begin with. Ah well.</div></div>
    Probably because most 99.9% of the time, people would exit anyway. By not exiting JM after 6K, P+K or K+G, you really limit your combo chance should you successfully sabaki or CH. And it's not like you could really "hit-check" to exit either. I actually prefer this change personally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His throw game is also now kinda pedestrian: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif takes about 63 points, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif takes 50 points, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif 45 points, and now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif takes 45 points. And of course, no catch throw. These amount to a big downgrade compared to the Kage of old.</div></div>
    Agreed, but I like that they've given him some new and improved attacks to play with to balance the throw nerfs.

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Interesting thoughts regarding SH /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif -- it sounds like they're making Kage harder to play effectively which I welcome.

Unfortunately I was one of the 0.1% who loved to sometimes exit out of JM and sometimes stay in JM. While the combo potential is better when you exit you can still inflict a lot of damage in JM, and I've found that many opponents get confused when you mix it up. You had a choice before but now that choice is taken away from you in VF5R; therefore to me it's a negative change.

8. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    (BT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is a new attack. Hit level is High, and causes guard stagger, and side turn on normal hit.

Sounds like it could be a cool addition! Even cooler if it was a hit throw! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

9. Liquid23

Liquid23 New Member

Kage is the shit!

10. Liquid23

Liquid23 New Member

oh yea I also noticed that on the low punches some characters seem to be punching downwards. Why is that?

11. AkiraZero

AkiraZero Well-Known Member

Animation change of 2P

12. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif has lost its sabaki ability...

We will now have 1 minute of silence.

13. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    o_O

*Manjimaru is silent*

14. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Forgot to mention some other tidbits, obtain from jin's blog:
    http://jinkage.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/437/

The throw directions of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif have all had damage reduction. The /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif direction is roughly the same as the previous TFT in potential.

Dragon Punch Combo timing has changed. And it's easier to perform fall recovery afterwards now.

JM /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif has been removed. Same with BT JM /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif recovery has increased, making it more difficult to attack effectively if you go to Shippuujin.

There's a whole bunch of other stuff on there that I can't translate.

15. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

That's cold. I mean you had to do it from adv anyways so not like it was overpowered / very good.

16. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Exactly. Hopefully they give it some kind of redeemable quality. Is a guaranteed followup on CH too much to ask? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

17. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

I was hoping that they would do stuff to more "complete" stances I mean like JJ has no point over Shippu in VF5 imo when K+G needed MC to crumble unlike in 4 etc. So I was hoping for more tools (sure nerf some things like fuzzy after Shippu 3p) to make him more of a complete package or something. Options for all situations always even if they're not that strong. Instead all of this just looks like ripping away stuff and nerfing others and nerfing entry to stances to the point of you want to play him outside of stances and/or making them much poorer. That with his new tools out of stance will mean Kage will probably be played out of stances more,... which will be boring. Shippu etc and fun random Jin Kage flowcharts from it was what made Kage fun and gave him HIS unique feel in VF5. So,.. uhm yeah I'm not at all happy with what is happening. Doesn't seem much thought behind certain things.

18. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Nice post KiwE, feeling the same thing reading some of these changes. It's one thing to weaken, it's quite another to take away and it seems AM2 is doing more of the latter with Kage. Why take out the roll out of JM? JM is nowhere near over-powered...but then again, I suppose now that Kage always exits JM after a JM attack he has no need for the roll.

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Some observations from the Kakumobi Kage vs. Eileen clip:

- /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif connects on mach punch MC versus Eileen in open stance; whiffs in closed stance. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif floats so Kage should be able to tack on more after.

- /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif SH /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif works on Eileen when the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif MCs...at least in open stance but perhaps closed as well.

- TFT > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif works on Eileen for 69 points damage, woo hoo!

- Kage seems to have a new move from SH; two jumping kicks. The first jump kick looks like the one from his old /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (probably high?) and the second is hopefully a mid kick.

- BT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif has an attack? Pretty cool looking.

- /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif has a high wall throw version and also takes 70 points.

20. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Two things I really like about the TFT:

1. The way the body floats - face down head towards should make the okizeme game stronger. Side fall recovery = free stagger, and in place recovery = can't evade timed attack. Provided you don't bounce or spin them of course.

2. More wall friendly now. Previously, you had to be pretty much right up against the wall to do anything decent.

Related to my first point, since the angle of the floating body is different now, I wonder if it'll be harder to RO over half fences. During the float the legs are lower than the head, and previously the opponent was leading with their head in the direction of travel, but now the legs are leading.