1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5R New system features,its influence on gameplay

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by SUGATA, Oct 2, 2008.

1. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    There is very important question: how do you perform Side-turned guard (STG) in VF5R instead of standart(turning into face-to-face position then Guard)Guard when you are side-turned to enemy? (i.e. possibly: just press and holdibg G(whithout d-pad)=>STG;
    press d-pad with G=>turn to enemy and guarding)...

Why the question ("is the STG manual or auto?") is so important?! Because...
    1)When your character[for ex. Kage] getting CH(NH)[for ex.Lei Fei perform 1P+K=+9fr] while is side-turned(ST) in VF5(not R)-your character (Kage) AUTO TURNING AT THE SAME TIME face-to face to Lei with -9 disadv.
    So Kage can:
    -Guarding (at 10th frame)-against Lei's attacks.
    -Attacking (move's start-up from 10th frame)-against Throw attempts.

2)What we see in VF5R?
    http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=ArxO1NJ09to
    at 0:04:
    Kage NOT (AUTO) TURNING face-to face, he still stayed ST to opponent-this is the NEW features in VF5R!
    So Kage can:
    -Guarding while stay in ST-i.e. STG(at10th frame)-against Lei's attacks. (I think be simply press and holding G).
    -Attacking (move's start-up begins after 3fr(for turning to enemy) from 13th frame)-so this is guaranted throw situation, not work against Throw attempts.
    -Turning to enemy and Guarding-(I think D-pad+G)-(after 3 fr for turning, from 13th frame become Gurding face-to-face) against enemy's attempts to move to Kage's back; and is less vulnerable position to Low attack(is STG work against Low?), Side-counter hit(very dangerous), Possibly can Fuzzy guarding while turning(against Throw attempts).

RESUME: i think these new VF5R features (STG and Not auto turn when hit while ST) bring more manual(less auto), more variants of your possible conscious actions(=>more Tactics and Mind game), and more risk if you take the wrong decision(as we see in VF5R's great dmg combo).

Questions (i am not sure about this):
    1)When i am ST-and press attack-my char teurning(3fr) and only then perform start-up; or without 3fr-delay(as BT-attacks) we'll see side-turned attacks in VF5R?
    2)What about crouching(and guarding Low) while STG?

What do you think, friends?

2. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Wow that was pretty crazy! STG when desired? Never seen that before.

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    In that example, the Kage did not guard at 0:04. That's why he did not turn to face Jeffry. The blue flash indicates counter, though. Not sure what to make of that.

4. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    So , what was happen here:
    Kage got side CH (blue flash) by Jeffry's 6K+G, =>Kage-15disadv, and ST.
    Then Jeffry perform 41236P+K with exe=18fr.
    So if old frame data is correct, then Kage can become STG (also he has bonus 3 fr before Hit), but as we saw he getting 2nd hit,-it was possibly because he trying to turning to Jeffry with Guarding(-15+(-3 fr for turning)=18 fr, so Kage perform "face-to-face" guard only at 19th frame and this is too late and he get 2nd Jeffry's hit. I think that this is Kage's mistake(he did not perform STG) and not garant.

5. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    1)Answer to 2nd question "What about crouching(and guarding Low) while STG?" :

It seems we have LOW Side-Turned-Guard (i think by 2G) in VF5R-2:22:
    http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=W0F6t7rtM-k

So, is it possible to perform Fuzzy guard(not crouch dash FG i think) when ST ?!... it's very interesting, because this mean the development(and rebalance) of ST-element in VF5R: i.e. we more often become(and stay) ST during fight, but now we are less vulnerable(STG, Low STG, ST-Fuzzy Guard(?) ) in this position, i think.

2)The question "When i am ST-and press attack-my char teurning(3fr) and only then perform start-up; or without 3fr-delay(as BT-attacks) we'll see side-turned attacks in VF5R?" ...is still actual!...and very important(to system mechanic).