1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5US nominated for best fighting game at The Game Awards

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Nov 17, 2021.

By akai on Nov 17, 2021 at 7:25 PM
  1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    gamerewards.jpg
    VF5US is one of five games nominated for The Game Awards best fighting game category! People can vote online for which games they want to win for 30 different categories. You sign up with either Twitter, Facebook, Google, or Twitch account to vote. The five games are:

Demon Slayer - Kimetsu no Yaiba - The Hinokami Chronicles
    Guilty Gear -Strive-
    Melty Blood: Type Lumina
    Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl
    Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown​

Winners for each category will be announced on December 9 at the Microsoft Theater, Los Angeles.

The Game Awards Website

joanot, Shinobi, beanboy and 5 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Nov 17, 2021.

1. break
      break
      So...you saying we have a chance to win and push for a Virtua Fighter 6 reveal at EVO ?
      Demon Slayer will be though to beat, but I can see it happening.
      I hope the Shin Megami Tensei V wins as well.
      Coroo and Chanchai like this.
    2. Zaibatsu
      Zaibatsu
      It's silly to see this... I'm happy for VF but other games are brand new, VF5US is not. Strive will win hands down.
      Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    3. masterpo
      masterpo
      This is good news!(y)

Maybe Sega/Sony will increase the budget for VF and hire some more people. So they can finish the "Ultimate" in Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown;)

I wonder how much of a learning curve the new Dragon engine has been for the VF developers? Could part of the delay for customization items, and Single Player content and the fixes for Tournament mode be due to the fact that the software developers, and graphic designers are still learning the Dragon engine, and still figuring out how to do certain things:unsure:

Some of the biggest reasons for game delays, problems in games, bad launches, buggy launches are the companies forcing new gaming engines on the development team, and forcing them to find ways to integrate micro-transactions into a game, all the while cutting down on staff, and paying the developers less money and working then more hours.

I wonder if the VF team has been affected by any of this:oops:
      JCnextinc, Coroo and beanboy like this.
    4. beanboy
      beanboy
      Like alot of people, I'm not a big fan of the game awards. But it's nice to see VF5 US get some recognition, and be nominated, despite competing with cartoony styled fighting games.

I know Max and that Anime Illuminatti guy, are going to try really hard, to get Guilty Gear Strive to win.:p
      JCnextinc likes this.
    5. nou
      nou
      Cool to see VF get recognized, but didn't want to sign up to vote in something that is a reskinned E3, (notice how these only take place before the holiday shopping season?) It's still the best fighting game released in the last 10 years, let alone that list (lol).
      beanboy and JCnextinc like this.
    6. ICHIBANin10000
      ICHIBANin10000
      I bet SpongeBob takes it. Thats the state of mainstream gamers today.
      beanboy and JCnextinc like this.
    7. Shinobi
      Shinobi
      I've done my part
      JCnextinc likes this.
    8. Tha_FeauchA
      Tha_FeauchA
      Just to see the name 'Virtua Fighter' in a list of fighting games released in this current year is cool. Even if it's just a upgraded version of the previous VF, this one has way better stuff for online play (practice room while waiting, and the whole room/matchmaking system). And it's still technically the best fighting game on that list, in my opinion.
      Coroo, JCnextinc, nou and 1 other person like this.
    9. JCnextinc
      JCnextinc
      Of course VF is technically the best Fighting Game on the list. The best Fighting game in the whole genre.

At the beginning I thought it would be a good thing that VF ultimate showdown to win would be great , then I thought "maybe not"

Let YAKUZA studio think that U.S is THE perefect remaster could have consequencies on VF's future and VF6

Faces , models , Hit effects and special effects lot of problems in this remaster.
      People forgot how VF was always super impressive each time it came out. And visually appealing!
      Now we have a game that looks okay and sometimes bland

It would be also unfair to let them think that they did a better job than AM2 did since 1993 !

Especially when you change what was in VF's DNA

Like changing clean and sutle Hit effects for Yellow Red Blue PURPLE hit effects.
      Or Getting rid of Transparent fences and wall (This is part of the game mechanics!:( )
      Realistic effects like steam while breathing in cold stages , wet outfits when you roll on puddles or fall into water.
      Saliva drops and sweat effects during counter hits.
      All these element looked so cool and so ahead of their times.. I miss this AM2 cutting edge technologies and realistic approach. :cry:
      The game was an hommage to actual martial arts and Kung fu movies.
      Now it's a random fighting game with the same generic effects that other fighting already have.
      VF was UNIQUE!
      And that's why Idon't want this new team to change VF traditions, and do whatever they want like a yellow puffball on normal hit
      Or the purple side counter hit spark :mad: There were OTHER SOLUTIONS!

And it would be unfair for Arc sys who have put so much love and work in their game.
      (Even if I prefer XRD revelator 2 over Strive )
      masterpo, beanboy and Coroo like this.
    10. Coroo
      Coroo
      it took me back to see Virtua Fighter getting some of it's dues, but i don't know guys... Virtua Fighter stands the test of time... but against Melty Blood? and Guilty Gear Strive yes those games have lacking customization features but that gameplay has been refined for years and i feel like Sega did the bear minimal for us when they released Ultimate Showdown...
      masterpo likes this.
    11. nou
      nou
      So this is tonight. I watched some of Shidosha’s stream and he said Strive should take it, but VF taking it would 1) confuse people to what VF is and 2) would piss people off because…it’s VF.

I’m in for meltdowns and that would do it.
    12. masterpo
      masterpo
      Seiji Aoki insulted the franchise, insulted the hard work of all of the previous graphic designers who ever worked on the Virtua Fighter series by defacing the VF visual presentation with Red, Yellow, Purple and Blue Hit Sparks and disfiguring the stages with semi transparent walls. Several of the character facial re-designs also have failed to meet the high standards set by the previous AM2 teams. Seiji Aoki insulted 100's of thousands of loyal Virtua Fighter fans by converting VF from 1 Player, 2 Player and Online Play to a game that primarily only supports Online Multiplayer. In addition to this there are rumors (only rumors at this point) That Seiji Aoki and RGG are planning to add NFT customization microtransactions to VF5US like the Ubisoft plan:

https://ihodl.com/topnews/2021-12-08/ubisoft-faces-criticism-after-launching-nft-cosmetics-system/

AFAIC Seiji Aoki and RGG have:

面子を潰す

because of how they've treated the Virtua Fighter franchise and many many of the Virtua Fighter fans. Yes, there are many players that are happy with VF5US but there are many many players who are not:(

I do not believe VF5US should win, it would send the wrong message to Seiji Aoki and RGG. IMO they've caused more harm than good. Again I know many will disagree, buy many agree.

Maybe after Seiji Aoki and RGG have added significant Single Player modes, added a legitimate Tournament Mode for Offline VS, added the rest of the customization options from VF5FS, fixed the bugs with the Online Multiplayer features, and have given us an option to turn off those hideous Hit Sparks, maybe then VF5US would be a legitimate candidate for Fighting
      Game of the Year.:mad:
      JCnextinc likes this.
    13. nou
      nou
    14. masterpo
      masterpo
      VF5US was nominated, It has new lighting. It has a new lobby. It has new online modes. It was free to play. The DLC is cheap. It has new four color hit sparks. It has better game play than guilty gear and VF's game play has been refined for even more years than Guilty Gear. So why didn't it beat Guilty Gear Strive? Why didn't it win best fighting game of the year award?

The reason why VF didn't win against Guilty Gear is actually simple: VF5US has no Single Player Content. VF5US has no story mode:

consider:https://www.polygon.com/22547064/gu...g-game-story-mode-campaign-impressions-review

Tekken has a Story mode and Single Player

Mortal Kombat has a Story mode and Single Player

Street Fighter has a Story Mode and Single Player

Soul Calibur has a Story Mode and Single Player

And Guilty Gear Strive has a Story Mode

The primary difference between the Virtua Fighter series and the other major Arcade Fighting games is that Virtua Fighter has no Story Mode, and VF5US does not have any significant Single Player content
      Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    15. faster 10 lightning
      faster 10 lightning
      We beat a dead horse here, but we must repeat it until Sega get this:

To succeed nowadays, you need single player content, a ton of single player content.
      A "simple" Quest mode couldn't be enough, it could be a nice start for VF5US, but for a future VF6, Quest, Story mode, mission mode, Vf4Evolution-like tutorials etc should be mandatory.