1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF6

Discussion in 'General' started by Fishie, Aug 24, 2020.

1. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Wow! Well that would be hard to find. Okay.

2. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I hope this guy does it and not Yu Suzuki.
    Nothing against Suzuki, but Shenmue 3 is really not the standard I want for VF6

3. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Hey Ali(hey thats my middle name) Suzuki has not been involved with Sega for over a decade now. His involvement with VF ended even long before that.

4. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Yeah I know the last one he developed was VF4 and maybe Evo and then he became a special consultant/manager.

Suzuki is a genius designer and VF is his game... Don't get me wrong people, if he likes to do it I hope.he does it with AM2 and not the studio that did Shenmue 3.

But having said that, the guys who did VF5, know what they are doing. So I prefer AM2 with or without Suzuki over another team.

5. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Nope, they kicked him out after VF4 development and went with Hiroshi Kataoka´s plans.

6. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Apparently, the other reason Suzuki left, is because he had a feud, with another game designer and a programmer at sega.

7. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Interesting....I never knew this.... I thought they took him to a managerial position away from AM2 and he just sat there until he dwelled on doing online Shenmue stuff then eventually the third game.

Interesting....

8. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Suzuki did not leave, I was the last person to interview him when he was still at Sega.

http://archive.videogamesdaily.com/features/sega_yu_suzuki_iv_feb06_p1.asp

He was fired(just like Ken Kutaragi was at Sony but Japanese companies dont use that word since fireing is frowned upon)

First he was ousted by AM2 but he could stay within Sega and have his own team(thanks to his former Protege Toshihiro Nagoshi)

He produced a failed racing game and a touch screen fighter that never went out of beta before Sega finally parted ways with him.

9. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

This is not true

10. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

You have brought me a lot of insight thank you so much. I have a few questions tho, do you know if VF6 was ever started as a project and canceled ? Rumours have it that they attempted to do it twice and both times they canceled it.. is this true ?

Also I have always thought that the relation between Suzuki and SEGA was good and all that they allowed him to do Shenmue 3... But oh well ..

11. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

The simple fact he has no rights to any of the things he helped create at Sega should tell you enough.

For SM3 it is simple, Sega had no intention to do anything with Shen Mue ever again so they allowed him to license it cheap for future games and Sega used the renewed interest to sell the HD Shen Mue 1 and 2 and assorted merchandise(like records, artwork etcetera)

As for VF6 as far as I know they iterated on concepts for something new at several points under several codenames but never directly called it VF6.

This is pretty standard in the games industry, do not name it untill you are certain the project will go ahead and be finalized.

beanboy, Ali and Tricky like this.
  12. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

But interestingly enough, SEGA knew better the whole time...

The game didn't perform well... It could be the fact that it was very small budgeted... Or just the fact that no matter how vocal the fans are online... It doesn't necessarily lead to sales.

Interesting to get more light on AM2 efforts to do a new game. I don't think getting pre productions shelved = Dead IP. I am still optimistic that we will get it. In fact demands for it have been stronger these days than a few years ago. I feel like more people are joining in the demand for it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020