1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VFDC Camera Club

Discussion in 'General' started by GodEater, Oct 14, 2010.

1. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I know there are more than a few camera/photo enthusiasts on VFDC which led me to think we should really get talking! I'm always on the look out for inspiration, tips, stories etc and I thought, why not look to this site for all of that?

I started shooting with a Canon digital rebel, upgraded to an XTi, upgraded to a 5D but I've had to go back to the XTi (my sister can't be trusted with expensive equipment apparently). I'm just starting thinking about upgrading again and wouldn't mind connecting with like-minded individuals start talking about Cameras, workflow, and maybe even setting up a weekly/bi-weekly assignment just to keep sharp and have fun.

any interest in that?

2. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

I definitely have much interest in this.

I'm a photo major at my school, but due to all of my personal problems I have taken different classes, and haven't picked up my camera in weeks. I'm actually going to be transferring schools and doing EMT with Photo on the side this time.

With a thread like this, it will definitely re-spark my interest.

I started with a Nikon D40 with the kit lens and a 55-200 VR DX. I've since traded teams(Nikon to Canon), and shoot with a 5DII, with a 50 1.8, 85 1.8, a shitty 75-300 non IS, 70-200 4L, and a 17-40 4L.

My 17-40 4L stays on the camera majority of the time. The last thing I did with my camera, was a small job where I went to a restaurant and took pictures of their food for their menu. It's not really my thing.

I want to get back to taking sport related photos, I missed an opportunity to get a ticket to Summerslam a couple months ago when it was at the Staples Center. I've also been really interested in using the capabilities of video on my camera.

3. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Never have a chance to get D90, and now T2i(550D) is my current target!!

4. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

Thanks again for buying my 5D [​IMG]

5. GodEater

it was my absolute pleasure, Gerald. I don't know if you noticed my vague tale of woe in my post though. [​IMG] very frustrating, soul crushing story.

Slide, right now I'm shooting on my XTi with the kit lens and a sigma 70-300 macro. I'm always shocked at how good the kit lens is for just day to day shooting.

I'm pretty envious about the schooling. I came by the passion late and I'm completely self taught (digital is awesome for that). I'm off to a digital imaging show today for some seminars and hopefully to get some deals!

6. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

What the heck did your sister do to that thing?

7. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

I can't truly hate on any lens anymore, even though I personally don't like my 75-300 non IS(it's just because I like what my 70-200 f4 does better). The thing about it is that cheaper lenses just have more challenges you have to overcome with them. Like some have a soft focus at wider apertures and lots of chromatic aberration, or even some vignetting. Even down points to a lens, can become up points, if that's what you're looking for in your shot. Kit lenses are great because they give you optimal focal lengths that handle many types of shots you want.

Personally man, you shouldn't be envious about the schooling. I'm a technical junkie if you haven't noticed(just based on VF) and most of these things any one of us could teach it to ourselves, minus the experience. I'm late in the game too, I picked up the passion for photography in 04 but was still graphic design minded, and didn't really take photography seriously until 2 1/2 years ago. Plus I'm not going to be in school for it primary anymore come start of next year anyway. Nothing beats just taking photos, and all that, imo it trumps school, especially with us being here understanding VF.
    ---

This is a really good post/article about Perspective Control in Images:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=672913

I read this like 5 months ago and it gave me a much better understanding about controlling perspective.

---

Good luck with the seminars dude

8. GodEater

Seminars were fun. There's an advanced workshop with one of the more well known canadian photographers that I'm going to sign up for if I'm not in Vegas for the same period.

Gerald, shortest story is that I loaned it to her for the afternoon and her boyfriend's live in alcoholic brother tried to pawn it and when they wouldn't take it without a receipt he "threw it away". I'd *just* spent $1,100 for an L-series 24-70mm f/2.8 but luckily the fellow let me return it when I told him my story.

9. GodEater

one of the things I've been experimenting with lately is off camera flash. I'm a big ambient light shooter, tending to only use natural light and while I can turn some nice images I really wanted to start challenging myself and looking for more creative uses of light.

I had my old 430EX speedlight and I picked up a 28" Westcott Apollo. A very cheap wireless set up lets me remotely trigger the light where I need it.

Going to head out and get some shots this weekend. it's all a learning experience so if I can make turn anything that isn't complete trash I'll post it here.

10. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

Off camera flash is amazing.

Here is your ULTIMATE source:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Read the Lighting 101 section.

I learned how to use lighting to my advantage and control it, in my lighting class. However, this strobist site is just as damn good, and it's free.

I only have a 430exII, 1 lighting stand, 1 umbrella(translucent to shoot through, and a silver reflective cover to bounce), 1 32" reflector (gold, silver, translucent), and a stofen omni bounce cover for the 430exII.

With this set of tools, I'm limited to 2 pt lighting for total control, and for 3 pt lighting and up then I rely on ambient and available light. 3pt lighting is great stuff, especially for portraits.

All wonderful. Also, I was considering picking up pocket wizards, but they're way too expensive so that'll be a long time before I get those. In the mean time I just use a wire that's about 15 feet long and it works just fine. Although, having pocket wizards will give me infinite versatility because I'd like to change my perspective more, while maintaining certain lighting setups but that's not possible, being confined to 15ft cord.

11. GodEater

yeah, I hit strobist all the time. I also dig www.lightenupandshoot.com I also have two 5-in-1 reflectors and a reflector holder (I often don't have anyone with me when I shoot).

Honestly, Alien Bee's CyberSyncs are awesome. I bought a two light kit for a very specific project (and then sold it) with their transmitter and receivers and they were fantastic. you might consider them.
    http://alienbees.com/remotes.html

What I have now is a Phottix Aster transmitter and receiver. cost me $60 CDN and I can trigger where ever I need it. you can always pick up additional receivers. works like a charm.

12. GodEater

took this this morning. I was just running around while the fog was everywhere and didn't think to bring my flash. I'm likely going to go back during the sunset hour and get this again and hit the flag with some extra light.

[​IMG]

13. GodEater

<object width="560" height="340"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cP6a47BQA70"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cP6a47BQA70" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="560" height="340"> </embed></object>

A very cool video showcasing the power of speedlights. in this case, 8 of them. The whole thing Dave is carrying around is likely worth about $15,000 easy but those surfer pics are gorgeous.