1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

[VFDC CHOICE] Choosing a stick for VF4 PS2

Discussion in 'Console' started by oldtimer, Feb 4, 2002.

1. oldtimer

oldtimer Well-Known Member

Re: Choosing a stick for VF4 PS2

Personally, for the Hori VF4 stick i wish the joystick and buttons weren't so close to each other.

Can't fault the feel and quality of the product tho'
    It's guaranteed to spoil you...

On a side note, having Akira's face on every stick is a little overkill, it would've been cooler to have some variety.

Woo I would pay for a chrome one with Dural on it

Now that would be sweet

=)

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Chanchai, is the Tekken Tag stick the Namco one with the yellow buttons and dark grey base?

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I think that was the Tekken 3 PSX stick.

The Tekken Tag Stick that I used was black (maybe gray?) with purple buttons on it. Start button on upper left. 5 buttons + select button I think (the select button is off on the lower right, out of the arrangement by a bit). I remember it being black and purple. Buttons were uniquely flat, but comfy/springy.

Here's a pic: <a target="_blank" href=http://cs.oregonstate.edu/~saenguni/pics/ttt_stick2.jpg>Hori's Tekken Tag Stick</a>

-Chanchai

4. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Where did you find it?

5. Kaede

Kaede Active Member

I am gonna buy the Namco sticks with yellow buttons and dark grey base. Anyone know if they are any good??? I think they are the Tekken 3 sticks.

6. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

DC to PS(2) converter?

After my initial contact with PS2 VF4 tonight, I am greatly tempted to get a PS2 with arcade stick. Sticks are hard to find though, and I have the excellent (IMO) DC stick. I wonder if it is possible to get/build a converter. The opposite converters exsist, so it should be possible shouldn't it?

7. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

I have 2 VF sticks... They are awesome. The layout is perfect and is built very well. I was worried if an Xbox version of VF came out i wouldn't be able to play it using these sticks, but some company is making a Psx to Xbox adapter so its all good...My rating A++++++++++++

8. koro128

koro128 Well-Known Member

For me , the Hori stick looks and feels the same as in the arcade, provided you have a good base to rest the stick on. It has some weight, making u feel rather secure when PLaying.

I dun find the buttons close together. The only cons, if u're not going to use it exclusively for VF4, is that there's no 4th button nearby when Tekken 4 comes along. So u may have to sacrifice a leg or two, LOL.....

9. Chanchai

Re: DC to PS(2) converter?

When it came to officially released console sticks of the Japanese-look-alike type, I used to swear by the Agetec. I admitted to many issues on them, but I still thought they were the best out there out of the big name brands (as opposed to home made or the smaller brands that I haven't tried like the Blaze double panel sticks). However, after using at least the TTT stick for PS2 on VF4, I can really say that I highly believe them to be far superior to the Agetec (maybe it's just VF4's user friendly buffer system compared to previous VF games). I loved the feel, no buttons got stuck for me. So now, I'm really recommending the T4 stick when it comes out because it will have the 6 button layout similar to the Agetec, but it will also have a stick that is superior to the Agetec/Ascii Arcade Stick.

As far as I know, the T4 stick is the VF4 stick with the Start button on the upper left, and three extra GAMEPLAY buttons. It doesn't have all of the buttons like the VF4 stick, but you're almost never going to use those buttons in matches at least.

-Chanchai

10. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Re: DC to PS(2) converter?

Maybe someone with a VF4 stick can confirm something for me.

I know the buttons are different between the Tekken and VF4 sticks, even though both are made by Hoori, but I'm wondering about the switches for the lever itself. If you remove the bottom of the base, you should be able to see the switches around the stick.

For the 2 Tekken/Namco Hori sticks (the purple Tag one and the grey/yellow one) the stick's base/switch housing is white plastic, thin, and overall looks a little cheap. This is relative to the DC sticks that had big, black microswitches mounted to a silicon-board base, and seemed very high quality any durable.

If the new VF4 stick is the same as the other Hori sticks I have (aside from buttons), there's no point in my getting it. But if the actual stick is of higher quality, I should look into it.

Can someone take a look for me? I'd appreciate it.

Spotlite

11. Chanchai

the inside of a VF4 Stick

This should help you out, it's about a mod (concerning some issues with the stick). Can't really see the micro switches, but I guess it's better than nothing.

<a target="_blank" href=http://lion_iinkai.tripod.co.jp/reba.html>PS2 VF4 Stick Modification</a>

BTW, can you give us your best translation of it? Is it just simply tightening the stick by modifying the spring?

-Chanchai

12. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Re: the inside of a VF4 Stick

Yeah, same switch housing (a little cheap to me). Seems like they're swapping out the spring for a different one, and replacing the buttons with what they call "same as game center"

Spotlite

13. ShinJin

ShinJin Well-Known Member

The yellow namco stick is actually the Tekken 2 arcade stick, it came out way before T3 was even in the arcades,

anyways, on to the stick, imho it's the greatest stick that was ever made, it's perfect in every way, it has a very nice 6 button layout, stick is very responsive, the whole thing is pretty light weight, it also lasts a long time, ( had mine for 2 and a half years)

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, my VF4 + stick came a few hours ago.

Anyway, I have to admit that I am a little disappointed in the Hori VF4 stick. The square opening of the stick is quite small--definitely smaller than the Japanese arcade standard. I've only been playing it for four hours, but the stick already has a bit of that "sand paper," sluggish kind of feel. Maybe it's just my stick in particular, as Agetechs also varied widely in quality. The stick is also placed very closely to the buttons (closer than the Japanese arcade standard), which I'm not used to. The result is that my CD right, right motion isn't as reliable, but I'm sure it'll come in time. The buttons are like the Agetechs but don't seem as springy. The Hori stick is much smaller and lighter than the Agetechs and, while sufficiently solid, isn't as stable.

I also have the yellow/gray Namco stick. The size of the stick opening is about the same size as the VF4 Hori stick, and the stick is ever-so-slightly placed further from the buttons. The quality of the buttons don't seem as good as the Agetechs, but they are good enough. The yellow/gray Namco stick is a teensy bit bigger than the Hori sticks but is definitely heavier. However, the casing itself doesn't feel as solid as the Hori stick, as it is thinner.

Overall, unless you area diehard VF fan, it is difficult to justify purchasing the VF4 Hori stick, because it only has three gameplay buttons (the rest of the buttons are lined up on top) and because the quality of the stick itself isn't any better than the yellow/gray Namco stick. I can't remember how much I paid for the yellow/gray Namco stick, but if the price is comparable the Namco stick seems like the better purchase.

If anyone has a different experience with their VF4 stick, please voice up. If it's just my stick in particular that's below par, I'm crazy enough to shop for another.

15. Kyo

Kyo Member

I personally recommend the ASCII stick, especially the CvS2 ones.....I have both and they are really great...the microswitch stick is perfect for 3D fighter like VF...more suitable for VF then CvS2....plus...it's pretty sturdy.......I have been playing consistently over the past months and still work great!

16. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

damm it people, just get the vf4 stick, its good enough. stop hunting for one, get the vf4 stick!! and yes, its just the same as the TTT stick (they have this stick for sale where i work btw). dont waste time building your own stick, get the vf4 stick and start playing already.

just rambling.....
    /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

17. LauVF

LauVF Well-Known Member

Chanchai ...
    Page is for the person who thinks stick (lever) is to heavy, how to do it a bit lighter through cut of a bit of the spring.
    He has cut of a round of the spring, but cut of just a little bit and test it. And he says that he swiched to the arc-buttoms too.

18. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Get the arcade stick by Namco, which was released somewhat in 1996 or soo for PSX, although the DC arcade stick is better it sure beats playing VF on a pad!!

19. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Get the arcade stick by Namco, which was released somewhat in 1996 or soo for PSX, although the DC arcade stick is better it sure beats playing VF on a pad!!

20. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

Had my two VF4 sticks for about a week now. I think they are better than the best NA arcade sticks, but not on par with Asian arcade sticks. The construction feels very solid. The base is large and solid. It's very stable when you are playing on anything with a flat surface. Buttons are exactly the same as the Green DC sticks (agetech?). They feel a bit cheap compare to the arcade ones. The Lever is tigher than the DC stick. There's less "clicking" effect when moving the lever. With the smaller base, Circular throws and Modified Moves are way easier after getting use to the thing.
    So overall, I'm quite pleased.
    I do wish they have some other character than Akira on the panel though. It would be funny if someone like Silepai walks in with a pink Pai stick, I would so drop to the floor laughing.