1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

[VFDC CHOICE] Choosing a stick for VF4 PS2

Discussion in 'Console' started by oldtimer, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

Re: Choosing a stick for VF4 PS2

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the MAS stick. I personally don't own one, but I know 10+ gamers in the Tekken/VF/SF community and for the most part, they are excellent. The "stiff" models are the best because they loosen up with use, as opposed to the "loose" models which have almost no resistance at all and seem practically broken at the start.

The Hori(ball) sticks are okay in my opinion, but I never did like ball sticks anyways because it seems like there is too much movement required just to perform simple motions. Same goes for the Shadowblade... yikes. That one is good for nothing, seriously.

Anyways, the happ or 360 style sticks I think are the best, but I guess that's from my playing tekken too much. *shrugs*

2. LemonMan

LemonMan Active Member

I have a MAS stick and love the heck out of it.

I've been abusing it regularly for nearly two years now and it's still going strong. It's sturdy as a rock (and I mean that), plenty responsive, and it's easy to hit the diagonals.

I've never used the lighter resistance stick, but the strong resistance stick hasn't been a problem.

3. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. It looks like he cut a loop off the spring to make the stick looser.

Does anyone know if the Tekken 4 stick has analog buttons? Analog buttons would be bad for VF4 (or any fighting game) IMO.

4. Moby

Moby Well-Known Member

I've just come back from a 4-hour session using ASCII's FT2 joysticks, which is their premier joystick (their branded Capcom vs SNK joysticks are basically FT2's).

The construction of the joystick was absolutely first-rate; it was compact and just the right size, and the hefty weight gave it a feeling of quality & sturdiness. It had four fairly thick round plastic legs (each about triple the width of a quarter), which actually "stuck" to surfaces very well. Combine the stickiness with the weight, and this joystick does NOT move around when you play.

You can definitely feel the corners on this stick, but there are slight notches in the four cardinal directions too (up, down, left, right). This means there are essentially 8 notches. Personally I prefer the simple square-base stick on Versus City cabinets over this.

The buttons were the worst thing about the stick however. They had a mushy feel; they didn't "click" so you didn't know EXACTLY when they were pressed. The click is good to know when/if you had properly pressed the button.

The button LAYOUT was absolutely PERFECT for VF! If I was designing my own joystick I would copy this layout. All eight buttons in close proximity, very easy to use any of them for VF.

I recommend this joystick if you need a stick for more games than just VF (i.e. not the Sega VF joystick), even though it's about $5-10 more expensive than Sega's stick.

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

OMG, I hate my VF4 stick. It's gone from OK to bad, and the "sand paper" feeling is now on 3 sides of my square opening for the lever. It's ironic to be using a Namco Tekken stick to play VF4...

6. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Re: Choosing a cheap stick for VF4 PS2?

go to bestbuy.com or visit their store front. Special sticks for $15 available as special w/ Tekken for PS2 purchases. I have two and am quite pleased. Black box w/ blue skid pad on ergonomically designed hand rest and good stick. No problems with this programmable stick.

7. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I dunno, I played on a PS2 VF4 joystick today, it worked great!

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

My stick is so bad it's got to be an exception to the rule...I think (hope).

9. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd add a few short comments. Picked up both the VF4 stick and FT2 stick in Taiwan, though I don't have VF4 to test it with, so I wound up trying them out with SFZ3 and Soul Blade.

VF4 one is nice, I haven't played on any Japanese cabinets so I don't know how comporable it is, but it does feel a bit cramped to me. Stick is nice and loose and feels like the DC Agetech but not quite as solid. Ascii FT2 feels kinda like the original FT with the narrower base, what the improvments are over FT I don't know, but using it with the above two games I didn't have much of a problem either.

10. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Just my two cents...

Let it be known that my "serious fighting game career" began with Tekken 3 with a MAS stick. Then it was Tekken Tag with a MAS and things were just fine.

I was hearing great things about Japanese style sticks, Hori in particular, so I went out and bought the TTT Hori stick. For a while, it actually was better than my MAS. Practically the opposite in every way: square base, loose spring, ball shaped, and the buttons were close and flat. I said it was better "for a while" because although I was moving just a smidgen faster, doing precise moves - and quickly - was harder. The MAS forced me to really rub out the motion I wanted so I knew I would get exactly what I performed, but the Hori stick (at least for my allegedly clumsy hands) was too difficult to use for quick and precise moves.

I honestly have no freakin idea how the Japanese are able to use that style stick (oh, btw thanks ShinJin for answering that "How do you hold Japanese style sticks?" thread a while back -_-; ), what with the legendary feats I've heard in Street Fighter and (probably) Virtua Fighter... but I'm sticking with my MAS. Solid as a rock (though I haven't really had any problems with my Hori stick). The Dreamcast & PlayStation 2 compatibility is just really great, too...

11. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Re: Just my two cents...

Though I highly prefer the Japanese style sticks, it's good that there are also advocates of the US style sticks on this thread. It's what many grew up with including myself.

A point I wanted to bring up from your post, Triple Lei, is that it's not just the Japanese who are using the "Japanese" style stick. It's pretty much all of Asia, a good portion of Europe (from what I understand anyways), a good portion of Australia (again, from what I understand), and a good amount of arcades in Vancouver and Toronto up in Canada. I'm not trying to argue a bandwagon or anything like that. Just simply bringing up that it's not just the Japanese who use that style stick, among many others there are Koreans and what not who also use the same style stick and performing "legendary feats."

BTW, once you get used to not relying on the edge of movement areas, a lot of the things people talk about regarding Japanese SF feats including walk-->720's are quite easy to do on Japanese style sticks. You can also do this on US sticks, but there's a bit more tension and a decent amount of forearm involved while also not relying on the edges of the movement area of the stick. Regarding stick control on Japanese style, for me it's that I've developed a preference for wrist action over forearm action, minimal movement to input what I want (which goes witht he high sensitivity), and I feel that I know exactly what I want to input and I input it very close to exact on Japanese style sticks while often having to find my diagonals on different US configs (a lot of various settings out there).

But one should stick with what works for them, and it seems like you already gave at least the TTT stick a try and it apparently hasn't worked for you. Though imo, I don't think MAS makes the best sticks. I would probably purchase a stick from Happ (www.happcontrols.com I think) and install it in a MAS stick or custom panel. Heck, some people offer really strong customizability options and open to upgrade architecture for about the same price as a MAS stick. Too bad these people mainly do private jobs.

Anyways, more food for thought on this thread/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai

12. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Re: Just my two cents...

Yes, well I believe Koreans have sticks all their own... I know <a target="_blank" href=http://www.changyu.com>www.changyu.com</a> has some pics & stuff. Too bad it's supposedly for arcade operators only, blah.

I actually had to relearn using my MAS stick for the reason you mentioned; I went from 90%-Arm & 10%-Wrist to 10%-Arm & 90%-Wrist. I did get noticably faster, though not as fast as I imagine I could be with the other stick. But about the, uh, ball stick: is it really more wrist than fingers? /versus/images/icons/shocked.gif

(and now I'm going to sleep...)

13. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Well guys, I just got an ASCII FT2 (the regular edition, not the CvS2 type) and I must say that thus far I am very pleased with it. I was worried at first because I had many, many issues with ASCII's original DC arcade stick (so much that I use my Saturn Hori stick with a DC adapter instead), but this is a definite improvement. The diagonals are nice and precise, the button layout is good, and the material on the top of the base is made of this nice, soft plastic that's super-comfy to rest you hand on (reminds me of what makes up the base on my FV cabinet). Only qualm is that the buttons feel a tad "soft", like on the original DC stick, but personally this doesn't bother me at all. Thus far, it comes highly recommended from me.

14. Vicious666

Vicious666 Well-Known Member

Anyone know where a US gamer could get the Hori VF4 stick easily?

thanks.

15. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

16. strangelove

strangelove Active Member

The Hori stick looks fine to me ...
    but dont the "Defense button" (green one)
    is far too low ? on all the arcade I've played
    the allignement was more like _ -- --
    any comment from someone that used
    this layout ?

17. Vicious666

Vicious666 Well-Known Member

Sweet. Thanks!

Ever seen anything cheaper than that?

18. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I finally had money to purchase the PS2 VF4 stick and at that time, NCS was not taking orders for the VF4 stick anymore.... So I decided to give Buy Rite a try after a long period of not ordering from them again... Well, that was two weeks before VF4 came out for PS2 in Japan.... and I'm still waiting for the sticks.... I've emailed them about it, but received no response thus far.

*Sigh*

I get a bit antsy whenever I see a UPS truck stop in my lot, and then not have a package for me.

BTW, the button layout is pretty identical to the layout I used on VS City machines I've played on. The main criticism I've heard is that the buttons are too close to the stick, even when compared to VS City layouts.

-Chanchai

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

the allignement was more like _ -- --
    any comment from someone that used
    this layout ?

Many U.S. arcades have this layout. I hate that layout. You should too, if you don't want carpel tunnel syndrome.

20. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Buyrite = the Great Satan

Honestly, I don't know how those idiots keep getting business. I've heard countless stories of customers getting terrible service from them.