1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

[VFDC CHOICE] Choosing a stick for VF4 PS2

Discussion in 'Console' started by oldtimer, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Vicious666

Vicious666 Well-Known Member

Re: Choosing a stick for VF4 PS2

Hmmm....can you suggest a better place to order the VF4 stick from? I'd like to get one, but now i'm leery of ordering from buyrite.

2. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.cart-mart.com/shop/product.asp?pf_id=01I003602011&>http://www.cart-mart.com/shop/product.asp?pf_id=01I003602011&</a>

As an alternative, there was a Hori PS2 VF4 stick up for auction at ebay.com. I don't know how much the winning bid was for, but from my experience with ebay, the price would be relatively inexpensive. I don't know if there's another stick up for bid, so check that site every now and then if you're interested.

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Watch out though--the eBay seller's stick could be like mine. Namely, a lemon.

4. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

If you're willing to pay the cost of shipping from Japan, you might want to try Himeya at <a target="_blank" href=http://shop.himeya.com/>http://shop.himeya.com/</a>. I haven't bought from them myself but several friends who have tell me good things.

5. Vicious666

Vicious666 Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'll try one of these options, or, I found this place:
    http://lan-kwei.com/ps2softE/

Anyone know them?

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Well... I was shocked to see in my email today (maybe it was because I wrote a letter) that my PS2 Stick has finally been shipped and UPS is letting me track it. Part of me sighs, part of me celebrates./versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

-Chanchai

7. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

That's odd, I ordered 3 PS2 VF4 sticks from Buyrite on Friday and got the UPS email yesterday...

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Maybe they restocked? Hmm, I might order another one now...

Jeesus, 3-7 days shipping costs $20!?!?!?!? My VF4 + stick from NCSX had a $20 shipping charge...for 2nd day UPS.

9. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

My joystick is getting worst now that I've broken one of them in. feels sticky..

10. Chanchai

I think BuyRite was also notorious for jacking up the shipping charge/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

11. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

What? I paid $10 apiece for S&H from BuyRite for UPS Ground.

12. Chanchai

Finally got the VF4 Stick

I finally got my own VF4 stick now, and can give a much better impression of it.

For me, the stick's perfect. We'll see how it holds up in the months or years to come.

Anyways, the stick is the same as the Tekken Tag stick as far as I can tell, and out of the box, the spring in the stick is really strong. I can really see why some players are cutting their springs, but I personally like the spring as it is. The button placement is pretty close to the stick, and that can be an issue for people with pretty big hands. But heck, I felt awkward when I used VS City sticks in this way anyways.

As for the buttons, they're different from any Hori stick or even home stick that I've used. Honestly, they are nothing like any of the Ascii Sticks I've used (Agetec, CvS stick, etc...). People have said that the buttons are like the Agetec, but to me they feel way different. So far, I like the buttons a lot and the impression is that they're better than the Agetec. I'll have to be on the lookout to see if these buttons run the age-old console stick problem of getting jammed when pressed at odd angles or failing to register when pressed in a slightly abnormal fashion. So far, I haven't seen that happen at all.

I tested the stick out on Tekken 3 and Ehrgeiz since I didn't have a PS2 with VF4 around me. I don't recommend people play those games with that stick in the sense of 3 main buttons, but I used the top row buttons in place of the missing buttons and I'll say I was playing just fine and dandy on those games.

Anyways, I'm sticking to what I said earlier on the first post on this thread. I highly recommend the VF4 stick if you intend to use it for VF4 or any 3 button arcade game. My hopes is that the Tekken 4 stick comes out exactly like this, except with 6 gameplay buttons.

Packaging is the same as the Tekken Tag stick, thick cardboard box that is barely taller than the stick itself, interesting fold in flaps. The panel of the stick is really slick, I personally like it. You can imagine me polishing this baby every now and then. What can I say, VF bias or not, I love this stick!

A+

-Chanchai

13. Donald_22

Donald_22 New Member

14. mushen

mushen Well-Known Member

Zero-chan,

Can you describe the difference you noticed from the ASCII FT2 stick and the Agestic/ASCII Arcade stick for the Dreamcast? You said you had some problem with that stick before can you explain what they were and are they resolved now with the ASCII FT2 stick?

From my understanding, they seem like the same stick (both are made from ASCII) except the casing looks different. My problems with the Agestic/Ascii stick for the DC is that the stick would get stuck on "down" sometimes and would not spring back to neutral at times. Also, I cannot do "d/f, d/f" from FC (ala Akira's yoho/uppercut) for the same reason (I need the stick to be more springy).

Anyways, I just purchased a ASCII FT2 from therage.com but I hope these issues has been resolved.

BTW, they have the hori vf4 stick for $50 for those interested ($14 bucks shipping to CA though.. OUCH!!!... supposely the stick is 7 freakin' lbs... yeah right).

-mushen

15. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

The problem I had with my DC stick was that the diagonals were really oversensitive. I'd try to input a straight motion and end up with a diagonal instead. I had problems with a button sticking as well. I have had neither of these issues with the FT2.

One thing about the ASCII DC stick I noticed was that the ball-handle end could "screw off"... on the PS2, the hall handle is firmly attached and impossible to remove. It just feels more stable. Also, the part of the casing where you rest your palms on the DC stick felt cold and metallic. The FT2 has this nice soft plastic cover that's really comfy. It's a much better design overall.

16. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

I'm curious as to how the ASCII FT2 sticks are holding up for everyone who has them. I'll be receiving two ASCII sticks in the next few days and it would be great to know that they hold up under fairly constant use.

Any info is greatly appreciated,

Plague]CWA[

17. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    ASCII STICK FT2

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I'm curious as to how the ASCII FT2 sticks are holding up for everyone who has them. I'll be receiving two ASCII sticks in the next few days and it would be great to know that they hold up under fairly constant use.

<hr></blockquote>

I've played on the ASCII FT2 stick (pictured below) and I'm afraid to say that I don't like this stick at all. The buttons are fine, but the allowable stick movement feels way too small, which is probably a result of the switches being placed too closely to eachother, and/or not much space between neutral and switch activation.

While playing for around 8 solid hours on one, I found performing commands which require double or triple taps are quite difficult, and simple QCF or QCB motions would result in a hop more often than I liked (i.e. too easy to hit the up switch).

So, I'd personally not recommend this stick to anyone unless you somehow find it more accomodating. If you can, try before you buy.

[​IMG]

18. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

the problems ive had with schticks like the hori pad, are that they move when trying a move. not solid enough/not enough weight. do the hori sticks have enough weight so theyre not thrown around....sorry to sound like a masher, butt im not.....

19. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Which 6button-stick would U recommand me, knowing that I'm used to the DC standard green stick feel quite pleased with it.

20. strangelove

strangelove Active Member

Can the saturn virtua stick be used on a Ps2 ?

convert from saturn to dc / then to ps2 adapter ?