1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

[VFDC CHOICE] Choosing a stick for VF4 PS2

Discussion in 'Console' started by oldtimer, Feb 4, 2002.

1. tragic

tragic Well-Known Member

namco stick...

It's all about the Namco Fighting Stick (or whatever it's called)... yeah, the gray/yellow one. It's solid, it's heavier than most, and it feels great. They've been around for years, and there really isn't anything better console-wise imo. I have the Tekken 3 Hori stick as well, which is also decent, but it doesn't have a select button (so no custom char selections without a pad first!). Personally, I'd stick with the Namco stick.

ben

2. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Re: namco stick...

get the T4 hori stick!
    it has a select button /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

3. tragic

tragic Well-Known Member

Re: namco stick...

Namco PS1 stick has 6 button SF style layout (though angled), extra wing buttons, and start and select! It started out the best stick, and it's still the best stick! muahaha!

ben

4. creepyface

creepyface New Member

how would u hold the stick if its so small?

5. creepyface

creepyface New Member

also can one of u tell me if the twin arcade sticks are good? cause theres two sticks and its even cheaper than both the vf4 stick and the t4 stick

6. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

I use it and no complaints. But the START and SELECT buttons are too close to the 2P joystick prompting accidental game pauses. So I removed these buttons but leaving the microswitch available. So it is like a recessed button so I don't press it by accident.

7. creepyface

creepyface New Member

hmmm how long is it? and is the stick good?

8. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

The twin sticks are decent. Youre gonna need to put it on a table so u dont bump knees. The buttons also feel kind of cheap but theyre tolerable.

9. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

'Bout 1 1/2 US101 Keyboards in length /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Now that's a standard unit of measurement if I ever saw one! =)

11. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Many people have their own ways of handling Japanese style sticks.

My way of holding the stick (US & Japanese style):
    -the stick is wrapped naturally (but loosely) by my thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers.
    -the stick is between my pinky and ring fingers, so my pinky is bent a bit inwards and is on the other side of the stick from my index, middle, and ring fingers.
    -my general grip is fairly loose, controlled mainly by my thumb and index fingers (sometimes loose enough that it's mainly my thumb and ring fingers doing the work).
    -Again, I hold both US and Japanese sticks this way.

I find a full all hand grip tends to compromise speed for me... control is good, but slow to the point that I could hardly call it control when fast inputs are needed.

I've seen various ways people handle the sticks...
    -Full Grip
    -Only index and thumb holding the stick
    -Cherry Pincher (at least that's what I like to call it, basically playing with no grip, but pinching on the ball or the stick--this isn't very common).
    -Grips similar to mine, a loose style grip and hanging a finger or two out (pinky and/or ring).
    -Wineglass (I've seen this on ball-style sticks a lot, holding the stick under the ball between two fingers and practically playing with palms faced upwards or something close to that).

Hope this helps... Generally, just experience until you find something that works for you after a decent amount of practice. Generally, the only truly annoying problems I have with a stick is not the shape, but where the diagonals are.

-Chanchai

12. DLC

DLC Member

quick question on a specific motion for the ball-sticks. I've never had problems w/ the ball-sticks on 2D fighters, but all my 3D experience is w/ the corndog shape (and twin sticks /versus/images/icons/smile.gif). Specifically, I have problems w/ hitting the diagonals multiple times (aka multiple CD), forward/back and down get thrown into it more often then not and especially going left (away from body). Any suggestions on how to do this? I seem to be using mainly wrist with my ring finger pulling back, should my forearm also be included in the motion? The sticks may also be a bit bad (not springing back), but I'd rather not complain about that first (maybe in a couple of days).

thx
    DLC

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Holding the Stick

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

quick question on a specific motion for the ball-sticks. I've never had problems w/ the ball-sticks on 2D fighters, but all my 3D experience is w/ the corndog shape (and twin sticks ). Specifically, I have problems w/ hitting the diagonals multiple times (aka multiple CD), forward/back and down get thrown into it more often then not and especially going left (away from body). Any suggestions on how to do this? I seem to be using mainly wrist with my ring finger pulling back, should my forearm also be included in the motion? The sticks may also be a bit bad (not springing back), but I'd rather not complain about that first (maybe in a couple of days).

<hr></blockquote>

It really comes down to finding a style you're most comfortable with, and you really have to play and practice a lot so that techniques like double tapping diagonals become second nature. Just like you practiced the dragon punch 5 million times with Ryu until you could do it in a snap!

For me, all movement is with my wrist. The side of my left hand will rest on the surface of the joystick and I grip the ball like a wine glass with the joystick shaft going between my pinky and ring finger. I can then hit any direction with small wrist movement, and fingers pushing or pulling the ball.

The quality of the stick is also important. I can have trouble adapting to sticks with unusual spacing (too much or too little) between neutral and switch. The standard Japanese arcade stick is perfect though. Console sticks modelled on the Japanese arcade stick can be hit or miss. IMO, the ancient Namco PS1 stick is the creme of the crop, with the Hori T4 stick coming second.

P.S. Are you the same DLC from SydVOC? I was a co-webmaster there.

14. creepyface

creepyface New Member

GOOD GOD I JUST ORDERED THE TWIN STICKS FROM BUYRITE AND SHIPPING IS 22 FRICKIN DOLLARS OMG AND I CANT STOP THE ORDER EITHER!!!

15. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

The Hori Joysticks

<font color=yellow>Just for reference sake:

[​IMG]
    The Hori Virtua Fighter 4 Stick

[​IMG]
    The Hori Tekken 4 Arcade Stick

::shrugs::

Gotta think about the future yo... Personally, I'd like to have a joystick has the shoulder buttons built in like the ASCII stick. It will get more play that way. Otherwise, that VF stick is only going to get use for VF. The Tekken stick will get a little mo' play but, if I need the L2 and R2 buttons, that's going to sit, too. But you really need that arcade set up, go for it!</font color=yellow>

16. DLC

DLC Member

Re: Holding the Stick

Hi Myke
    yup, stopped playing games for about year to concentrate on work, but I got drawn back inevitably (aaargh, spent $500 a couple weekends ago on ps2, games and controllers). I pretty much stopped Virtual On due to lack of competition and machines which kind of sucks because it really is my favorite "fighter". I'll drop by and post on virtualon.net sometime later, but fear that it'll be nothing more then "hi, what's up!" message.

I hammered on the sticks all weekend double tapping, but not comfortable enough with it just yet. I've switched to d, d/f, d, d/f instead for my CDs which seem to at least be more consistent (but are there inherent problems with this method). The wine glass method helps in training, but then I flail in the middle of a round. I think I'm shifting my grip too much. Practice makes perfect tho, so I'll keep trying.

DLC

17. modestmouse

modestmouse Member

Re: Blaze Arcade Stick

Please, everyone stay away from the Blade Twin Stick. I bought one for $20.00, and so did a friend, and within 3 weeks both stick were broken. And even when they weren't broken, I still would use the Duel Shock instead for CVS2, because the sticks were just aweful. They're nothing like the arcade sticks since they feel very cheap.

I now got the Ascii FT2 Original and Capcom version and both work pretty good for CVS2 and VF4. The Original works better with VF4, though, since it's more stiffer and it just goes better since VF4 is a slow paced game. The Capcom version works better with CVS2 since the stick is looser and it allows better motions for moves like fireball and uppercut.

Both are playable for either games, though, it's only when you have them side by side to compare that you really notice a difference. And even then it's not a huge difference.

18. Albatross

Albatross New Member

Re: The Hori Joysticks

Did Hori make the Namco Tekken 3 stick for the PSX?

IMHO, this stick really sucks. I used it for a week and put it back in its box, never to see daylight again.

- Base is hollow plastic. No substantial weight, causing it to
    shift around.
    - Trying to execute a 3xEWGF juggle made a hell of a
    racket with all the clicking going on. (never did pull it off
    either)
    - The buttons are made out of very light plastic and must be
    firmly pressed to register. Light tapping is a no no. (They
    click like mad too!)
    - Directional switches are so close that you WILL jump in the
    heat of the moment. Cardinals turn into diagonals, etc.
    - Stick resistance is waaaay light, meaning every inopportune
    muscle twitch will send your character jumping.

Every friend who has laid hands on the stick commented in so many words how the stick "felt cheap," "like it's going to break", etc...

If this stick is a fair representative of Hori engineering, then I think I'll pass.

Albatross

19. Mojopin

Mojopin Member

Re: The Hori Joysticks

I just got the Tekken 4 stick today and I have to say, even though I'm a total noob, there is an awful lot of clicking going on with this stick.I don't know if this is common with Hori sticks or not; but after about 10mins in kumite mode, I was too into the game to even notice it anymore. This stick doesn't feel cheap and there's plenty of weight IMO. The buttons are VERY sensitive, I guess I put to much weight down when resting my fingers on them but I kept hitting punch by accident way to often. I attribute this to my utter noobness with it and will eventually get accustomed to this fine stick. I recommend it to anyone who's needs a stick that they can play T4, VF4, SFA3 or SFvSNK.

20. ty4325

ty4325 New Member

Can anyone help me out? I live in Canada with no nearby stores carrying anything imported. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get the Tekken 4 stick online, with relatively good pricing and quick shipping. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks