1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VFDC design update

Discussion in 'General' started by Myke, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Here's the result of having some unexpected time on my hands -- <A target="_blank" HREF=http://virtuafighter.com/versus/bluedesign1.gif>the latest VFDC design</A>

Comments?

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It looks HOT!!! However, the logo does seem a little bit out of place. Is there anyway to blend it into the city image? Like a bat signal type of thing, except our logo?

3. Vicks Biru

Vicks Biru Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!WOW!!!!! Butt it's troo, the logo izz out of plaise. Maybe you could have an embossed effect (like the IGN logo on screens or the Corbis logo on Corbis pics) or some other snazzy effect.

<font color=black>Yowai...yowai sugimasu wa!</font color=black>

4. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

Great work, very nice visually and I think you guys are doing a terrific job of putting the effort to make the page look more polished...

So on to the criticism... =)

Sigh, Rich is prolly going to kill me for this, but do we really need links to the vf3, 2, 1, kids information on every page? I'm not advocating dropping those sections, just it seems like you're using a lot of real estate for something that might be better accessed through an "archives" type link. (though give it a better name)

I realize there is a great desire for throughness and consistency, to make all the materials on all the games as complete and designed like the main stuff. but realistically, i don't think the effort is going to be made to keep the older pages as up to date/in the same format as the new ones...

So instead of trying and not pulling 100% through, accept that that they are becomming less current and more history and deal with that directly in implementing your design.

-Jason

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Thanks for the feedback.

I'll have a look at alternative logo backgrounds. Initially I had it with the city backdrop (take the side menu bg and shift it all the way up) but then it looked too cluttered and the logo wasn't distinctive enough. If anyone has some nice high res pics of Jacky's rooftop stage, send them this way :)

Jason, I see what you're saying with the game links, but if I go with your suggestion then we may as well get rid of the side menu altogether, and just have two additional links in the top menu -- virtuafighter 4 and archives. What does everyone think about that?

When you click on a game link (e.g. virtuafigher 4), the main window will present everything related to the game, divided into sections. So there'll be system related infomation/faqs, character select, global movelists, media, etc.

6. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

if you wanted a site that was named "virtuafighter.com" and had jack shit information on the vf games, then you had it with the old vf.com.

i thought the point of the renovation was to have READILY AVAILABLE INFORMATION FOR THE VF SERIES, along with *easy navigation*; and unless you're on 640x480, you should have no problem with space, and with that in mind i see no problem with it being on every page (tekkenzaibatsu has a simliar design, as well, works fine). there are hundreds of documents for the older games (many new and newly updated by myself and others) and there is a demand for them. it would be assinine (and really personally offensive to me, who spent so much time organizing all the info hoping they could be seen by everyone) to just shove them off in a back page and intentionally do a half-assed job on them, simply because they're old.

7. Mr. Bungle

i prefer the original menu concept.

8. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

its fine the way it is..

[​IMG]

<font color=red>nAndato</font color=red>

9. Mr. Bungle

err, i suppose i should clarify - i like the new design. not the "original" menu on the old vf.com.

10. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I like the new design. Does the background change? For instance, will you show different background stages(the castle rooftop stage, the coliseum ruins,etc.)? What about using backgrounds from VF1/2/3?
    Sorry, don't have any comments about content. The options you have are fine.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>

11. Vicks Biru

Vicks Biru Well-Known Member

I like that idea. Backdrops from previous versions. Only that pics from 1 and 2 in full 3D glory could be hard to obtain. Heck to the PC ones.

<font color=black>Yowai...yowai sugimasu wa!</font color=black>

12. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

That's a pretty god damn awesome design there Myke.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

13. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Y'know, the more I look at the design, the more I like it.
    I don't think the logo is out of place at all, because it serves as an anchor to the vertical and horizontal menus.

The backdrops are nicely done, and I think including backgrounds from VF1/2/3 show that this is virtuafighter.com and not virtuafighter4.com. Sorta pay respect to the history of the series by doing a little more than throwing in some menus from past installments. Not that I'm complaining.
    Just my two cents./versus/images/icons/smile.gif

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>