1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VFDC Online Events Feedback - Poll 1

Discussion in 'VF Circuit' started by akai, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Daikath

Daikath Member

If there is a spectator mode available, would it be possible to stream them with commentary? Zerochan and Haunts have a nice banter going on in the STA tournaments. Would be fun to not only play it, but have it streamed in a entertaining way to expose the game to more people, with good commentary it would explain to people why this game is so good.

2. Genesis

Genesis Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Genesis Malakh
    It does seem that people respond to honest, passionate commentary about the game's appealing traits. Commentary is only cool to me if I know the person commentating. Regardless, I've noticed a few instances of people becoming inspired to give VF another shot, based on certain commentary.

3. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Streaming the online events are indeed being planned for these events; however, that will be the last thing on my list of things to do to get this up and running.

---

Again thanks to those that have already committed to participate in these events and sending me their information through PM! I already have people form 10 different nations signed up! If you really do know that you will participate in these events (you are not required to participate in every scheduled events) please don't wait till the last minute to send me your information! The more information I received and where everyone is located, the better I can organized these events to everyone. Thanks.

Note: If you are a person who is fluent in English and a second language and know non-English-fluent people that may be interested in participating these organized online events, please let me know. I would like to be as accommodating as possible for these people by having someone help mediate information.

4. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Currently writing up the guidelines/requirements/rules pertaining to internet connection for these online events. I can only think of the two things below as being the most important. If anyone have other suggestions on what should be done to reduce as much lag as possible let me know, please.

1. Wired broadband connection (no wireless connection)
    2. During events, make sure no one is uploading/downloading data in the background of the console or other computers in the home network.

5. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

We are not able to abandon any player who use wireless connection, especially on PS3 platform I believe. But it's good to make a announcement for better online quality, such as narrow down to catch up local players.

6. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Well I only have wireless connection for my xbox and I have great connections with people.

7. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    It should be required for users here to have a little respect and not use shitty isp's like comcast. Also if an opponent pulls (like darth) he should be automatically disqualified and maybe from all future events too. Lastly, restarting the router may help sometimes.

Regarding downloading, it's also bad to do that for several hours before a match because it could smoke the bandwidth but not 100% sure on that.

Wireless can be great as long as no one else is leeching off of your internet or downloading etc.

8. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I always thought there was a greater chance for interference and drop signals with wireless connections. I will change it to - recommend wired connection, since it seems that is the only option for some people.

9. Tricky

True wireless networks require you be mindful of how much bandwidth you're using. When I play VF that's all I'm doing. I might have my laptop open to the shoutbox but that's about it. If someone is using wireless they do need to not have any downloads going on, or any thing really streaming other than xbl.

In regards to downloading b4 your playing a match, it can sometimes cause issues even on wired connections. It's a matter of how your router is set up to partition bandwidth. Sometimes you just need to reset the router after a large download. Or just turn off the computer that was using the large amount of bandwidth so that you free u p the "stored" bandwidth the laptop had from the router. That's kinda a case by case thing though that's hard to really regulate.

If there's a funky connection going on I think reseting the routers is a good rule.

10. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    The problem with wireless networks is not bandwidth. It is packet loss, which creates the 'lag spikes'.

I have yet to play a single person who used wireless connection without issues, any game, any where.

Not downloading anything during online play goes for every single type of internet connection there is.

11. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Thanks, I did not knew that downloading before playing games will have issues.

Revised list of recommendations to optimize internet connection (if player have lag issues, bolded the new recommendations):
    1. Preferably wired broadband connection.
    2. If using wireless, distance between router, number of walls between system and router, wireless interference (microwaves, cell phones) will affect the connection. Most likely will take stuff from this link on improving wireless connection)
    3. During events, make sure no one is uploading/downloading data in the background of the console or other computers in the home network.
    4. Before events, downloading large amount of data can interfere with connection.
    5. Reset router.
    6. If all else fails, check with Internet Service Provider to troubleshoot or upgrade.

===

As to dealing with disconnects and generally bad online connection - I will have a rule set written up pertaining to how these online events will deal with this.

One of things I want from people participating in these online events: After every event ends, the players will PM me a review (rating scale) of their connection with all the players they had fought in the event (or I will remind them to PM me :p). This way a record can be kept to determine which players have consistent poor connection and/or regions that will have consistent poor connection. This will help in troubleshooting and addressing issues during the first season.

12. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    akai, don't make these events impossible to manage! Unless there's a way for an independent party to police the rules, then any connection issues that arise will be a dispute between two players, and invariably a difference of opinion.

Having a list of recommendations to minimise connection issues is a good idea. However ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4. Before events, downloading large amount of data can interfere with connection.</div></div>
    This doesn't make any sense.

I've got some ideas that I'll talk to you in private about.

13. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Myke, not trying to make them hard to manage [​IMG]. But I think there is an objective way to deal with connection issues. I agree, dispute between two players will likely be a difference of opinion; however, if 4 players playing against the same person came to the same conclusion, I think that would be good indicator to see if things can be remedied before the next event.

This doesn't make any sense.

I've got some ideas that I'll talk to you in private about. </div></div>

Sounds great, I will wait for it.

14. VF2011

VF2011 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    M-F-B
    I think you should allow one disconnect per player before you ban anyone. Accidents happen and internet problems aren't impossible.

2 disconnects however is reason to think a player is disconnecting intentionally and they should be banned.

15. Tiripsem

Tiripsem Well-Known Member

There should be little tolerance with DC's. If you do, and you explain yourself as to why it happened, it should be fine but otherwise you should be disqualified. About the downloading causing lag, I would avoid downloading just as a precaution.

16. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I think Myke made a good point that to police whether a disconnect is intentional or not will be difficult during the event.

My thoughts on this right now:
    If a disconnect occur between two players. The player that did not disconnected have the right to choose to automatically take that round in which the opposing player disconnected or to replay that specific round with the player that was disconnected. The specific game will resume to the appropriate round and same stage.

Since the plan is to have all matches to occur in a lobby with more than two people and spectator mode - it should help trouble shoot the situation.

17. Tricky

I'm working on moving my router closer to my xbox so I can use wired connections finally for online. Especially since we're using the lobby feature, it'll probably be good to keep connections wired. I'll be set b4 FS drops.

18. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    According to Day 1 of Pax East stream, Frank mentions the spectators in lobbies should not affect the connection of those actually playing. Of course we will know if that is actually true or not when the game is out [​IMG].

19. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Since its almost two weeks since I last posted, I just want to give a quick update on the planned online events.

I am hoping to make an announcement very soon, just going through revisions and getting approvals before going public.

Hope everyone likes the direction these events are heading and I hope many people will participate in them!

20. steelbaz

steelbaz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    I think the online events is a great idea [​IMG]
    The stage selection thing I find a bit lame, I think random for the first match and then losers picks should be the format, if any... Also if somebody is losing a match and the connections drops for whatever reason I think that should be counted as a loss (unless there is horrendous lag). Horrendous lag and people that lag on purpose are the only reasons i've disconnected. My disconnect rate is at 0% but i've run into thousands of dis-connectors since online with the PS2 until present. Very Very annoying and about the only thing I hate about online gaming, outside of excessive racial slurs used on LIVE (not nearly as many racist tirades on PSN though, so no real complaints now).

Awesome idea!

Edit: I also think you should be able to switch characters whenever you want during the tourney, unless it's a character ranking tourney (best Sarah, Akira, etc), like the ones they did for DOA etc... Forcing people to pick just one character for the entire tourney is weak.