1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VFDC to move servers; comments for redesign

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ice-9, Apr 3, 2001.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

As I alluded to a couple months ago with the demise of NURB Cities, there is a very real possibility that VFDC will move to a different server. Previously, because NURB was such a monster in consuming resources I was able to get a pretty good discount from a friend of mine who was a reseller. Now that NURB is gone and my relationship with him has turned somewhat sour, the discount is no longer there and the host is actually rather expensive.

So the end result is that VFDC will be moving servers this weekend provided that Myke is able to free up some time. The reason being that I have no clue whatsoever in how to maintain Versus City and this place is definitely the heart and soul of VFDC, so I really need Myke to help with the move. Myke is the guy largely responsible for making this place possible; he was the one who recommended wwwthreads and volunteered to install/administer the forum. I've said it before but I'll say it again: everyone needs to give a shout out to Myke for what he's done in making all of this possible. Cheers Myke!

Anyway, there is a possibility that VFDC might be down for a day or two this weekend as the new server updates our DNS entries. Hopefully the transition will be smooth. When I make the move some of the more obscure combo movies will be taken off-line in an effort to clear some space and resources...I don't know how we're going to archive the old stuff but what I may do is compile them into CDs and send them off to whoever wants them; or maybe send them via ICQ; or perhaps merely archive the combos in text/descriptive form; or something like that.

This would also probably be a good time to resurrect discussions of a possible redesign for the site, especially with VF4 just around the corner (supposedly to be released some time this summer). There has been some conversations in the past among a committee of regulars who have expressed interest in a site redesign and I'm going to dig up those e-mails to remind myself of some of the suggestions made for a new layout.

Meanwhile, if any of you guys would like to make comments about a redesign, go ahead and post them. Are there any sites in particular that you like? Post the links and we'll take a look.

2. Robin

Robin Active Member

Good luck with the move. I like the design at the moment, but I'd suggest you don't redesign it like LockEs site (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://damaged.anime.net>http://damaged.anime.net</A>) ;)

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Not this weekend...

Jeff, as I told you in an email, I won't be available this weekend for the move since I'll be out of town. I proposed we schedule the move for the following weekend instead, 14-15th April.

At least this will give us a good week and a half to get some discussion going on.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: Not this weekend...

Myke, no worries--there is no hurry at all!

5. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

>When I make the move some of the more obscure combo movies will be taken off-line in an effort to clear
    >some space and resources...I don't know how we're going to archive the old stuff

everything is already collected and safe and sound in my archive.