1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VFDC vs Dynamic League 2002

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by dynamic-league, Oct 28, 2001.

1. dynamic-league

dynamic-league Well-Known Member

We at the Dynamic League challenge VFDC to produce 2-3 fighters to challenge us under the VFDC name.
    Put 2-3 players in VFDC t-shirts and send them to their defeat against the all powerful Dynamic League. We reckon VFDC will not be able to find a team to defeat us from all of it's hundreds of fans.

VFDC must kneel before the might of the Dynamic League fighters. We will accept an unconditional surrender if VFDC fear us.

VFDC must name the date when they feel they are ready.

We are waiting.

"Rise to the challenge - Dynamic League.Com"

2. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Your boast belongs in the Jamboree section.

Adio.

3. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Here we go again.... =)

Derrick,
    I did laugh when I read this, but please put this kind of post in the Jamboree forum.
    Thanks.

[​IMG]
    "VF is the resonance AND the wonder." GodEater

4. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Jamboree forum foo!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zametex.pl/glc>GLC's FAQ Center</A>

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Knew it was too good to be true....
    we were hoping you Londoners had found a new message board somewhere.
    If we surrender does that mean you shut up?

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

We have nominated the fighters. They are .....

DUN DUH DUNNNNN

All the UK people who don't belong to the dynamic league!@#!!$@#@#$

I know there are a few. Actually the league itself is technically under the aegis of VFDC (see, we own you already). That means that there are some VFDCers who can go play you without spending hundreds of dollars in plane fare. Good luck guys. If you lose, remember plan B. Make sure the jail doesn't have internet access.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

7. Madin

Madin Well-Known Member

Here we go again!
    The dyanamic league post are from 1 person. Derrick doesn't invite all londoners to preview his posts before he submits them. He really speaks for himself.
    The one regular london VF poster that i've met is Adio who is a decent chap.
    PLEASE: DO NOT SURRENDER TO 1 PERSONS RANTING!!
    That would be embrassing! :)

8. steve_dynamic

steve_dynamic Well-Known Member

Well then I suggest you contact those supposed UK VFDC players and send them to our tournament venue wearing your VFDC t-shirts and make a name for yourself! You guys might even make it on to our little magazine!

By the way:

--------------------------------------------------
    "Actually the league itself is technically under the aegis of VFDC (see, we own you already)."
    --------------------------------------------------

I seriously doubt that...

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Have you heard of how there are some places where a bunch of dudes living near power lines and sewage treatment plants all get cancer at the same time? Even though statistcally it should be impossible? And their kids end up being born with only half a brain and lurch around hospitals waiting for someone to put them out of their misery? The UK, specifically london, seems a lot like these cancer clusters.. except it's a retard cluster. Every day another simpy kissass follower pops up in Derrick's wake. I'd rather live near those power lines than get within a hundred miles of Derrick.

Why don't you do what Great Deceiver did? Transplant yourself to another country, chill out there for a bit, and then maybe your personality will normalize a bit. I'd love to come down there and be the chemotherapist, but I have better ways to spend the time and money I wish I had. If I get enough money for a flight, I'm flying to Canada. Fuck your hospitality.

10. steve_dynamic

Do whatever you want. At the end of the day, we are looking for worthy challengers. Looks like you're not one of them....

11. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, you're just bored with playing amongst yourselves. If the UK was really chock-full-o-skill, you could easily hold a nationwide tournament there to find the 'worthy challengers' you seek. Looks like you can't. So you promote this VF tourism bullshit in the hopes of getting a quick injection of skill.

Unfortunately, it's backfired. I can think of a dozen players on this board who will never come to the UK because of Derrick. You might claim that you'll never miss these players, but you're wrong. They're some of the best you'll find. Now your only hope of playing them is to come to the US and carefully avoid mentioning the words "Dynamic League". To use a tired analogy....do you think Japan has to put calls out to Korea or other countries to attract players? Does Japan seem to give a shit if the US or the UK ever comes overseas to play? They don' t care because they have all the competition they can handle crammed onto a handful of small islands.

Why should I act like Japan is the cat's ass? Easy...we constantly see new techniques and useful information coming from Japan and Korea. From the Dynamic League we see squat. Not even a handful of crappy movies. Worse, we see boastful spew that sounds like the insecure babble of a twelve year old on the school playground. If you want to attract competition, it's easy. Be very good at the game, and prove it. Korea and Japan put out videos and post useful tricks on boards. They also write moveslists, FAQs, and character guides. Produce something like this, stick it up on a web page, and let VFDC be the judge of whether or not you're worth a visit.

And for god's sake find someone who knows how to make a web page. That one looked like it was designed by a 13 year old with notepad and MSPaint.

One last word to you personally:
    Steve, why would you want to associate yourself with someone like this? Or a league like this? I wasted ten minutes going through the horribly designed site just to hunt down the specifics of how league play is handled. It's awful. It sounds like "play when you want on the games we choose, and make up the rules as you go along." ... Good players are good until they lose to a lesser player, and then from that point on they're at the bottom of the list and considered crap. Crap players, if they fluke a win, are immediately part of the upper tier. Even fellow UK players have said it's bad. Don't be part of the embarrassment.

12. steve_dynamic

CreeD,

Arcade tournaments are something of a niche market. You've got your website tournaments, and your other tournaments and roadshows from the likes of Nintendo etc etc but they've never actually go that extra mile. They come and go.

What the Dynamic League is grabbing that little niche market, and expanding it into something much bigger than a your average game of Virtua Fighter. Imagine having a Dynamic League tournament in your home town and then the finalist go down to the main tournament event to play some of the best games players around the world on national television! This is what we want to achieve. We want video game tournaments to be an international sport, much like soccer, baseball, and tennis.

But we're not just here for arcade games. We want to expand to console tournaments, paintball tourneys, air hockey tourneys, hence the name "Dynamic League". Our tournament system can be used for any completive game. Remember that the CPL (those guys who organise large tournaments for PC multiplayer games) are big internationally. We want to go beyond that and have it on TV, radio, and publication. Heck, we've even got a fully color 24-paged magazine dedicated to Dynamic League!

We've had some major players checking out our Dynamic League system such as Sega, Namco and Sammy and if we get it right, we'll have more big names looking over at us!

I don't blame you for not seeing the bigger picture here, because we haven't explained ourselves properly. We do know that our website is a little bit on the unattractive side, but its functional. We don't want to go out spending money on getting the greatest looking website in the world so early on. Like most early organisations, we like to take one step at a time. Rush things to fast and we'll end up like those dead dot.com companies. Things like moveslists, FAQs are unnessesary at this stage since you can go to a newsstand and by a mag with moves and FAQs on it, you can go to GameFAQs and get players guides there. Movies can be found in many of these game fan sites. Some of these features can cost us money due to bandwidth which we at this stage, can't afford. Some of the time that we would put into making FAQs can be put into better use by finding more venues to host our Dynamic League tournaments.

Also, please remember that the Dynamic League isn't just about finding out who the best games player. Its also about the atmosphere of going into the tournament and meeting other challengers, being about to see the other challengers faces when you beat them, knowing that you've had a great time participating in these tournaments. We want to make sure that a Dynamic League tournament is like going to a football match. We want to make the Dynamic League like having your friends at your home with a chunk full of drink and pizzas playing whatever is in your console but 100 times bigger. Dynamic League is aiming to be an international event, where players from all over the world are gathered to complete against each over. Who cares if they come from Japan, Hong Kong, Canada, UK or US. Its all about coming down and having a great time. Maybe when we become much bigger, we'll coming over to each US state and have Dynamic League tournament one day. Until then, pop over to the UK and sample the atmosphere we have here....

13. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the informative post, and for not being snotty in reply to my snottiness.
    Down to business:
    Dynamic league is the opposite of the pizza and beer and video games atmosphere you say it's trying to promote. The impression created on this board is "we want serious competition and an international tournament. Some people find pleasure in hanging out with the guys, but we play to compete and to win. That's where we derive our pleasure." This is paraphrased from hatim and some others who posted not too long ago.

As for making video games a worldwide, televised thing... all I can say is this - being a good game with enthusiastic players who want to promote international competition is not enough. Look at snooker. It's a multimillion dollar industry in the UK, with prize purses of 1,000,000 US. It's just not heard of over here though, you have to dig and dig and dig to find a table in the US. Ditto billiards. You get some international competition in the sense that the champion is a swede, but once the US has decided they aren't interested in a game, it's a losing battle to try to make it a big deal here. That's the situation with VF. Popular in Japan. Maybe even televised in Japan in rare moments. But it's nothing in the US and won't be in the UK. Video games in general don't stand much of a chance of attaining this.
    To use the pool analogy again, televised sports has been around for a while but no national network other than paid cable channels will carry pool tournaments (in any form).

The most we can hope for as VFers is a core of good regular competition and the rare visit from other players on the same continent. International play occurs not even once a year for english speaking countries, unless you count several visits over the border from the US to canada. Anybody we play from Japan is here anyway for school or business.

Anyway, I'm wandering off track. I don't mind at all what you're trying to do. What kills me is the way you try to accomplish this (not you so much as Derrick) ... no major tournament, international or not, ever arose from smack-talking the opponent into a competitive frenzy.

14. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

You might want to read some of the old MoAT (Mother of All Tournaments) reports. Maybe it's the American crazy sense of time, but leagues have always been tough in the US whereas one or two big national tournaments a year was much more feasable (expensive to travel, busy work schedule, college, VF players tend to be in their 20's or late teens--at least the traveling ones anyways). I cannot speak for everyone, but I can simply tell you that a league is really tough in the US. At least for arcade games.

For PC online games, it's much easier for us when it comes to online games. Easier to organize events from home and then have the post-qualifying final tournament something to travel for. The main competitive games on PC are First Person Shooters and Real Time Strategy games (at least at present). By chance, a mouse and keyboard combination provide individual advantages as well as having a more powerful computer with additional hardware. By this aspect alone, the doorway to sponsorship for the tournaments was further opened and extended beyond the game's creator and magazines. You have logitech and so many others offering their mice, before optical mice you had 3m coming up with precision mice surfaces (as well as other companies), you had the war of the graphics card and their sponsoring, you had AMD directly marketing to the gaming audiences. It wasn't just the fact that these peripherals existed, it was combined that if you couldn't afford it, you still had a mouse, keyboard, graphics card (of some sort), etc.... Anyways, enough on PC games, but I'm trying to give some background to theory why PC leagues work and arcade leagues don't really happen, but less than 10 huge tournaments on a national scale exist for arcade games.

In addition, you have to think about the geographic size of the US compared to England. The US is so huge and spread out. Commercial and Industry densely take up so many areas (and of course agriculture too), but you can't really say that about residential. If it wasn't for flight benefits in the airline industry for my family, it would cost me so much to fly across the country to New York like I do. And don't ask me to drive from Oregon to New York or even take a bus. It is also unfortunate that the US dedicated VF population is so spread out that local tournaments can only work in areas where the VF following population is concentrated. In my area, there would probably be about 5 or 6 serious players in the tournament and then so many others giving up because of the skill difference between us and them. In a small scene such as my area, that would kill the popularity of VF and only further push the 10 dedicated players, maybe losing one or two as their case might seem hopeless to them at some point.

It goes on and on... I'm only speaking on a US level here. I know the dynamic dream isn't just UK and US. Seems like you guys could work with France, if you plan to, good luck.

We see the bigger picture here, but we understand our scope. We are all aiming at something similar to a league, but we acknowledge only a few exceptional areas can truly play the competitive scene here like a league. But for the most part, we're just having fun... those that love to win, and those that just love to play.

On a side note, you say:
    "Also, please remember that the Dynamic League isn't just about finding out who the best games player. "
    Derrick could have fooled me here. Let's just understand that as stereotypical as it may imply, cultural differences exist between regions, groups, and countries. Sounding like a tabloid reporter does not float the boat for much of the North American (and apparently Australian as well as some others) niche group of VF players. Different types of humor are taken differently. Until you guys display an understanding that people from different places and backgrounds may take things differently, even when having VF or any game in common, I cannot even see something like the Dynamic League even working. And that's only one tiny piece of the pie to work on.

The more you annoy other "cultures" or "norms," the more you are turning them off. The less you acknowledge this as well as the more you try to justify this (as humor or WHATEVER), the more you seem so "London-Centric" in your case. The more you seem like this, the less respectful you appear to be. That's the logic of some people anyways (as linear as that was), and try to give it a thought... And let it be known, to at least quite a few, the more annoying posters we labeled as the "London posters" were so perfectly fitting a stereotype outsiders have of the "Brits." Arrogance, tabloid-based, UK-centric even... and that's not all either...

-Chanchai<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Chanchai on 10/28/01 07:06 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

15. steve_dynamic

CreeD,

We do want serious competition. But that's just a part of what the Dynamic League is all about. Its part of the element of tournaments. Take a football match for example. Without the stadium of spectators cheering and jeering, it'll just be boring. If the teams didn't have the passion to win, the match will be boring too. If you mix the two, you have both the atmosphere and dedication, making it much more enjoyable to be a part of it.

The whole television thing is something of a barrier. There have been many failed games programs mainly because tv production companies have gone the wrong way about it. There has only been a couple of successful games tv programs in the past in the UK. One was GamesMaster, the other was Bits. Another games show which has been running for a while and is still running is CyberNet which only comes on latenight terrestrial TV and selected cable channels. There might be a few programs like that in the US. And yes, maybe they're on selected cable channels, but that's because half of these tv production companies haven't seen or even been to any tournaments. I must admit that the TV thing may or maynot work simply for the fact that viewers rather play games and watch. But much the same way as the net, unless people have high bandwidth internet connections to view movies, TV is the next best thing. And to be able to watch the latest games on TV is a great thing. The whole TV thing is something that can pop up in a few years time. Its not essenstial since the Dynamic League doesn't need TV to support it.

As you've said, the only way you're gonna play players from different countries is through the rare visits. But you shouldn't even be thinking about it like that. It's not a grudge match on which country is the best. In this multicultral society, you don't need to think about whether this player is from Japan. What you should be thinking about is whether this player is good and whether to can complete with him. If not, find out how you can beat him. And if this person is exceptional, find out why by speaking to him. Find out new combos etc etc. It's no good keeping all your tactics to yourself as you'll find you'll be too good for everyone and be bored. This is why we want to create the pizza, beer, video game atmosphere at the Dynamic League tournaments, so that we can learn from each other moves so that challenges are worth while. This is why people who go to the Dynamic League tournaments love going to them because of the atmosphere and the ability to talk to one another and finding out new techniques. How do you think top UK games player, Ryan Hart became so good?

Dynamic League has only been running for three months. We are currently only at one venue at the heart of London and we are looking to expand across London and hopefully the rest of the UK. We can only do this if we have loads of people to support it. And the only way to give people the decision to support Dynamic League is to mention it to them. To use my dating analogy, you won't know if a certain girl want to go out with you, unless you ask them...

Anyway, I'm looking for people to write articles on games and stuff for the magazine. it can be just a one-off article about the state of arcades or something. Let me know if you or any others want to write an essay.

Cheers!

16. steve_dynamic

Chanchai,

Where can I find these MoAT reports?

At the moment, the Dynamic League is restricted by location and staff. What we eventually want to do is let arcade venues host their own Dynamic League tournaments using the Dynamic League system. This way, you guys won't be restricted in coming to another country or state or city. Dates won't be a problem either because the Dynamic League can be run at anytime and at any venue. Everyday, could be a Dynamic League tournament day. All you need to do is ask the operators to record Dynamic League matches on specific Dynamic league match sheets. These results can then be processed in our HQ and placed on the website, magazines, etc etc. This way, you can go to Japan and play a Dynamic League match there. You can go to Alaska and play a Dynamic League match there. Eventually, there'll be a big world tournament where top players from around the world pop over to complete against each other to find the best international player. Maybe the venues can be held at different countries like the World Cup Soccer. But before we get to that stage, the Dynamic League needs you to play the games with the incestive that you could move a few place higher than you're currently on. Its a system that will benefit everyone and will hopefully cause players to have the choice to go out and play games with other people as well as having a great time. Why be stuck in front of a monitor with headphones on, when you could be participating, chatting, cursing, shouting, drinking, eating, watching etc etc at a Dynamic League venue? Ok, maybe there are people who love to give a few frags on Quake or what have you, but we are giving you the choice to take part in a league that has international protential.

Sorry if we came off as arrogant brit citizens but that's an even better excuse to expand overseas. We'll have a better understanding of what players are like across the water if players from other countries get involved in the Dynamic League. I've already had a couple of guys from Hong Kong submitt some stuff on previous issues of the Dynamic League Magazine. As I said before, try writing an article for our mag. Or buy a copy of the magazine and find out what we've done. Or just keep a close watch on the Dynamic League website. On our news page, we've had a few prizes from the likes of Namco and Sega. There might even be more prizes soon!

"Rise to the challenge - Dynamic League.Com"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by steve_dynamic on 10/28/01 08:33 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

17. dynamic-league

dynamic-league Well-Known Member

We will wait to hear from The President of VFDC.
    His words have the power.

18. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

re: serious competition:
    Yes, adding the cheering crowds and a stadium and cheering and jeering adds to the ambience of a match. I will agree with that. That still isn't what I'm talking about though. Is trash talk before the game necessary? Does it add anything?
    Does Argentina run ads on England's big TV networks saying "our country will bury yours in the game of football"?

As you've said, the only way you're gonna play players from different countries is through the rare visits. But you shouldn't even be thinking about it like that. It's not a grudge match on which country is the best. In this multicultral society, you don't need to think about whether this player is from Japan. What you should be thinking about is whether this player is good and whether to can complete with him.

This was exactly my point also. You and Derrick need to communitcate because you're promoting the exact opposite of what he promotes. He DOES make it out to be an international grudge match and he DOES make a big deal about "this player is from the US, this player is from the UK" etc. My argument in a post about a month ago was that nationality doesn't mean a thing.

As for information sharing, sure it's a good thing, but what's your point? Promoting international tournaments will probably lead to a sharing of strategy and tactics, no question about that. I have no problem with that at all (even if it never happens)... Again, my only complaint is the WAY these tournaments are proposed. Nobody's taking Derrick up on his challenges because everyone thinks he's an ass. Whereas all Llanfair has to do is curl a finger and I'll come running to Canada (although the cost of flying vs. driving is a huge factor also).

Tournaments and leagues aren't the only way to share tricks and tactics. That's what this forum is for. If Ryan Hart is so good, where's the information he has to share? It sure as hell isn't on VFDC.

Maybe you should be running the league. You're trying to justify this stuff with arguments other than "Lighten up, Americans!" ... that's a nice change of pace. Derrick doesn't ever use the reply button, just the post button.

19. steve_dynamic

------------------------------------------------------------
    He DOES make it out to be an international grudge match and he DOES make a big deal about "this player is from the US, this player is from the UK" etc. My argument in a post about a month ago was that nationality doesn't mean a thing.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but I have to correct you there. He didn't mention anything about US or UK. In his first post, he asked VFDC fans to pop over to the Dynamic League tournaments for a match. So, really, these VFDC fans could come from Iceland or anywhere in the world. As long as they are wearing a VFDC t-shirt. Plus it isn't a grudge match. I don't think any of the players of the Dynamic League have ever met you guys let alone played against you.

Derrick has a thing for imitating things from films, TV etc etc. He has a Fight Club parody somewhere in the website. He's just having a bit of fun, sparking some contraversy (sorry my spelling is pretty bad), which had worked. Derrick is a great guy once you've met him. It'll definitely make these challenge threads more fun once you've heard and spoken to him! :)

------------------------------------------------------
    Tournaments and leagues aren't the only way to share tricks and tactics. That's what this forum is for. If Ryan Hart is so good, where's the information he has to share? It sure as hell isn't on VFDC.
    -------------------------------------------------------

It's really up to Ryan Hart if he wants to share his little secrets. No one is forced to do anything. Its really up to the gamers to do what they feel is right. I can't force you to tell me loads of secrets about VF or come to our tournaments. That's up to you. There are some that love to help out and others who rather keep themselves to themselves.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Maybe you should be running the league. You're trying to justify this stuff with arguments other than "Lighten up, Americans!" ... that's a nice change of pace. Derrick doesn't ever use the reply button, just the post button.
    --------------------------------------------------------

I can't run a tournament for shite. Derrick has the experience, the know how and the balls to do it. Without him, there would be no Dynamic League to speak of. I think words lose a lot of expression and feeling to what he is trying to project to you guys. Remember guys that what he says in terms of getting you guys to participate in tournaments is just a bit of fun. Please don't take it personally! :)

20. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

CreeD, I'll give you another example of a game that's just not mainstream - but maintains it's core. It's also, conveniently, a coin-op.

Foosball.

Huge tournaments. Big purses - there's a famous 'world' championship in 1976 that had a purse of 1M. No shit.

How do *they* communicate and organize? Ohh, would yee look at that: Newsgroups. Pretty amazing - but zero coverage.

cheers,