1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VFDC vs Dynamic League 2002

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by dynamic-league, Oct 28, 2001.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I have to correct you there. He didn't mention anything about US or UK.

His first post was a while ago, but this beauty is just 16 days old:

Bring back SUPERDOUG !

Send out a search party and elect him US (VF) president and diplomat.
    Under his leadership the USVF players may have success in signing a treaty to surrender and accept UK rule in the west. The UK is already a super power on the VF scene. SUPERDOUG can negotiate a US surrender without any unecessary casualties.

SUPERDOUG is the US National VF hero.
    Bring back SUPERDOUG out of retirement. Only he can save America.

Again, Derrick could be a wonderful human being in real life, but his online presentation is garbage. It's inane. I'll never learn what his real life persona is because I have foresworn going to the UK to play Virtua Fighter.

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I typically ignore any threads that Derrick starts, or which has a subject header that contains the words "Dynamic League", but... you (Llanfair) raised an interesting point about a non-mainstream form of entertainment than nonetheless has a cult following.

A pet research project of mine has always been to see when (or if, perhaps) online gaming or video gaming can finally break into mainstream entertainment, much like, say, baseball is a sporting event watched and played by thousands (millions?).

CounterStrike probably is the closest thing to a form of mainstream entertainment. And StarCraft in Korea. But other than that... even QW, Q2, Q3, UT in their heyday never broke beyond a certain level of mainstream acceptance. Likewise for the VF series. (I'm not talking about mainstream *gaming* acceptance, rather, mainstream acceptance by the public as a whole.)

But even then, I doubt CS (over any video game) will ever reach $1mm jackpots or the organization level that is enjoyed by foosball (table soccer, to UK people) in the foreseeable horizon... why? Because unlike sports like Basketball, Baseball, or even games like Foosball, which have remained relatively unchanged over decades, computer/video gaming is evolving way too rapidly... blame it on Moore's law, I guess. You can never have enough time to organize a solid team before a newer game comes out to take its place.

Even a sequel may be a disruptive event rather than being a logical continuation of the series. Sure, a lot of us at VFDC may have played VF1/2/3/4... but then, there are a lot of people who have dropped out along the way, or didn't like VF3, or VF4, etc. Notice how many QW players never made the transition to Q2, and Q2CTF players moved to UT instead of Q3. Or Tribes 2, which was widely regarded as a disaster by T1 veterans.

I'm not implying that it's no point organizing video gaming tournaments. Indeed, there may be national tournaments, maybe even 2-3 international tournaments. And these are fun events, for sure! And occasionally, there are nice prizes like the one Dennis "Thresh" Fong won in Quake... John Carmack's old Ferrari (before he went out and bought an F40... or is that an F50? I forget.)

But then, that's about it. The big $$$ won't come in because the corporate sponsorship won't be there beyond a certain level (especially in these dark days of advertising)... why? Because the base of players and viewers interested in a particular genre of video games (much less an individual game) isn't large enough to justify major sponsorship in the 6-8 digit range.

The only time when electronic entertainment can be enjoyed and watched at a truly mainstream level is when (1) computer technology itself has started to plateau (perhaps when trace lengths and transistor sizes have shrunk to the absolute physical minimum and quantum computing is too far out on the horizon), (2) there exists a benchmark standard for a particular game genre (a benchmark RTS; a benchmark FPS, etc.) that the majority of gamers can agree to compete on, and (3) enough kids have grown up playing video games rather than baseball or some other "regular" sport, and don't mind watching Virtua Fighter 7 or DOOM 5 instead of WWF or MLB on pay-per-view.

Well, one can always hope... and here's hoping it happens in the not-too-distant future.

3. steve_dynamic

steve_dynamic Well-Known Member

CreeD,

I would treat that as a funny post. Nothing more and nothing less.

Anyway, theres more to the UK than Dynamic League... There's the Queen, Tony Blair, the SAS, James Bond, good old English tea, and.. erm... two-step/garage....

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Yah I'd travel to London for other reasons. I did before actually. To see the underground wax museum and stuff.

I have decided based on the strength of the video clip that I would play UK Guy. It was the rolled eyes that did it for me.

5. steve_dynamic

steve_dynamic Well-Known Member

At least Hyun (cheers mate!) is showing some clips of UK players.

CreeD,

As I've said before, pop down to the UK and take a look at our tournament. We are constantly listening to players and find out the best ways to improve the system. We've already have one person interested in coming to the UK to check out the Dynamic League tournament. Hopefully, you might want to join this person too!

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Rightyo then, be a dear and wire me 300 or so USD, would you?
    Thanks =p
    CreeD (Who lives in the third poorest state of the union)

7. Buzzard2

Buzzard2 Well-Known Member

Ew, what an ugly website. *shivers*

8. dynamic-league

dynamic-league Well-Known Member

We must warn you that if you volunteer to fight for VFDC, no mercy will be shown you. As it is the duty of the Empire to crush out all rebellion. And remember "Sith, always two there are".

Dynamic League fighter recruits report for training 18 November.