1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 1 and UFC 1

Discussion in 'General' started by masterpo, Oct 29, 2019.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    The original Virtua Fighter was released in October of 1993

The first UFC tournament UFC1 took place in November of 1993
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6N1axku8QA

I'm just saying. When Virtua Fighter was released the idea of answering which fighting style was the best was a big deal! If you look at the advertisement of the early VFs or the the reviews of the early VFs you'll see that it was referred to as mixed martial arts simulator or martial arts simulator. If you look at the original interviews you will see Yu Suzuki also believed that players would want to win "beautifully". In one interview he even stated that some players would want to use moves that although didn't do much damage they made them look good. Things have changed so much since the early days of VF.

I think VF is the only 3D fighter that still shows what a fighter's style is on the arcade selection screen:oops: The clash between bonafide fighting styles has always been a big part of VF. I don't think you can find reference to fighting styles of the fighters anywhere in the DOA6, or Tekken 7 games. Having beautiful movement and valid martial arts styles in VF was a goal and a point of pride for Yu Suzuki and the AM2 team.

Its not a coincidence that the beginning of UFC and the introduction of Virtua Fighter happened in 1993. All over the world people wanted to see different martial arts pitted against each other. So its no coincidence that the first 3D fighting game to ever be released did exactly that.

There is a lot here to be learned if you dig deep enough;)

Attached Files:

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Wow! Interesting. Coincidence? Or fate?
    Now this has me wondering.:holla:

3. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    :LOL: The Virtua Fighter's World Fighting Championship was very much in the spirit of the original UFC, Grand prix, Vale tudo frenzy that was happening in the world at the time. Constrast this with the Iron Fist Tournament, which had very different motivations:ROTFL:

I'm just sayin.....

Virtuafighter and the WFC was the original arcade version of the original UFC:cool:

4. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

masterpo it looks like you are a big fan of UFC...

So who would be your MMA fighter for Virtua Fighter if you have to choose one ?

Georges St-Pierre as a guest character ? :eek:

5. Sonic The Fighters

VF world championship feels like it gots inpirations from Dragon Ball world championship too !

6. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Wow did know Dragon Ball had WFC I've never played it. Is it a 3D fighter?
    Is it anything like SF, MK?

7. beanboy

I know we have Vanessa, as the mma type fighter in VF.

But maybe they should put, another anime UFC/mma fighter in VF?
    Maybe a big strong army dude, who used to work for J6, then J6 betrayed him, he goes AWOL and enters the VF6 tournament, to win and get even with J6. How does that sound?

8. Sonic The Fighters

No lol i'm talking about the anime Dragon Ball from 1986.

Dragon Ball World Championship had the best fighters from all around the world fighting 1v1 on a square arena with ring out.

masterpo likes this.
  9. Sonic The Fighters

What about an UFC Legend as guest character for VF ? To rekt the stupid guest character Negan from Tekken ?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    beanboy likes this.
  10. beanboy

It's an interesting idea.

But Nah! A make believe sega styled, mma/ufc fighter is a better idea, and it'll give sega more creative freedom, moveswise and storywise too. Kinda like mma girl Mila from doa5.

I'll have to agree with alot of those tekken fans. Putting Negan and Noctis in Tekken, especially Negan, was one of the most ridiculous, worst ideas I've ever seen. But he kinda fits in, because tekken was always, a cartoony fighting game. It's kinda sad that tekken, needs guest characters to survive, bring in new players and sell copies. Good thing Virtua Fighter, didn't have to go through that crap. In my case, I'll take that baby anime dinosaur Gon, over Noctis, Negan, Geese Howard and Akuma any day.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  11. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    wow didn't know that. So maybe VF did get the idea from DB