1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 4 Evo or Soul Calibur 2

Discussion in 'Console' started by playa, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

Re: Hi

WHO IS NAMU IS HE NEW

2. Bibulus

Bibulus Well-Known Member

Re: Hi

HungOver: You are pretty dead on about not comparing the 2 games because they play COMPLETELY different at higher levels.

VF high level play is putting aggressive moves on your opponent and taking risks.

SC2 high level play is about step G, taking almost no damage from getting hit out of jumps and taking as few risks as possible. 2G is just broken and there are all sorts of other things I could rant on forever about, so I wont. The basic gist of the game is learn defensive techs and your going to take so little damage that one launcher will almost always even up the life or close to it. Use the sams tactics over and over so your opponent will GI and you can fake to get damage. Play as boring and as static is possible because numerically you will have advantage as long as you dont get outguessed consistently.

What gets people so into it? You can learn the most basic X and the only way to defeat you becomes to outspace and punish. Its so easy that I stopped playing and I can still use X in tourney to beat all but the best opponents

3. Seneca_22

Seneca_22 Member

Dang, I just came to these forums cuz someone was posting some stuff about Catch22's awesome stuff. I went to that thread first. Then saw this thread, read every comment, every page, and just had to come in here to drop my 2 cents.

I'll start off by saying that I've played a whole 10 minutes of VF4, so the only thing I can say about VF4 was, Dang it's hard!!! Yeah, I was looking for something, anything to just kind of come out. I didn't go to the training mode tho. The monk seemed kind of masher friendly, but that was about it. Again, this is very limited experience.

My real experience is in SC2. Now, from what I've heard, VF4 is THE MOST balanced fighter on the planet. It boasts the most robust 1P experience you can have on a fighter. The training mode is what all other training modes should be based off of. From what I've read, I really wish SC2 had at least an equal training mode.

SC2 is not perfect, no way, but I love the game to death. 1P mode, weak. Training, what training? They even took out the ability to record, wtf? There are glitches here and there, but can you tell me that VF4 is utterly and completely glitch free? That's a real question too, not a knock on VF4. If it is, all I can say is WOW.

Now, on to SC2. Is it masher friendly? You bet. Is it easy to learn? Yes and no. If learning a game is pulling off cool moves, then yes. If learning a game is busting out a few abusable combos, then yes. But I've began my quest to be a better player. For the past year now, I've been upping my game, playing in a lot of tournaments.

To say that this game doesn' t have balance is ignorance. It's all in the player. I've seen so many different characters win tournaments. I've seen Sophi, Cass, Voldo, Nightmare, X, Taki, Cervantes, the list goes on and on. The game is really fast. Step is a lot more than it was in SC1 that's for sure, but it's not by any means going to get you out of everything. A's can be broken by B's, B's can be stepped, step can be contained by A's.

Just Frames aren't the biggest part of the game, but they do add a little something for those who take the time to practice them.

The GI system is WAY easier than part 1. I tried to play part 1 the other day, and there's 4 different ways to GI depending on the height of the attack. So yeah, it's been dummied down a bit. Some moves that took a little more input are now easier to pull off. But that doesn't mean they're easier to land mind you.

I'm not really for saying one thing is better than the other, especially when there's two quality products. You have really good VF players, and you have really good SC2 players. Both groups enjoy their particular game of choice. Asking this question in the VF forums, I think we knew what was going to be said. Ask this in the sc forums, you'll get all kinds of ignorant answers about VF4 as well, you know it.

SC2 looks very easy and masher friendly on the surface. Yes, it is possible to learn a few combos and cancels and actaully seem like a skilled player. But that only goes so far, it really does. I have some basic skills with some of my non main characters that can get by a lot of people, but not the really good people. I might get them here and there, but when it comes to who's getting the W, the more skilled player is going to win.

VF4 tho, from what I can understand, takes time, dedication and tremendous effort to truly become a skilled competitor. The good thing is, it actually helps you to see what it takes to get to that level, while SC2 kind of leaves you to figure stuff out on your own. Still, it does take a lot of dedication to be a really skilled SC2 player. To know all the potential setups and mind games from the wide array of characters, to setting up your own strats for each of those characters, mixing up step, throws, lows, counterhit, JF's, all of that stuff.

It comes down to a matter of preference. But you won't catch me saying anything about VF4 that cannot be substantiated. Even if I played the game for like 6 months on and off, would I really have a basis to say something about the game? If you haven't taken SC2 to the levels of your VF4 play, then there's not much you can really say that will hold any water.

That is all from me. Enjoy the awesomeness that is VF4, I may join you all one day in this highly regarded fighter.

4. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    It comes down to a matter of preference. But you won't catch me saying anything about VF4 that cannot be substantiated.

[/ QUOTE ]

2G in SC2 is something that can be easily substantiated........

5. Seneca_22

Seneca_22 Member

What I meant was that I'm not going to come in here and start badmouthing a game that I've never truly delved into. Playing SC2 for a week or 2 will not allow you to fully get into the nuances of the engine. And even if you've had it for a while, try playing at the levels that you would VF4, and you will see it is a lot deeper than it appears.

Also, 2G isn't the end of the world. A lot of people know how to 2G, but that hasn't broken the game, just changed it for all the more casual players. There's ways around it, it doesn't block lows, you can delay into a guard crush, you can Gcancel to a throw or other mixup. 2G isn't that big a deal.

For real tho, I'm not here to argue with anyone or sway anybodies way of thinking. Besides, that wouldn't happen on this board anyway. I'm about to post up my friends latest stick on one of Catch's threads, so check it out. Peace!!!

6. Lucent

Lucent Member

personally it's apples and oranges ..... weapon-based vs non-weapon based ..... might as well compare VF to tekken ... which no doubt namco is *trying* to make them equal

Love SC2 .... always have comp ..... love VFE/Tekken/DOA .... no comp .... ahhhh life in NJ

7. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

You're saying they can't be compared because one has weapons and the other doesn't, that's a joke.

I played sc2 for the first time last week, and played a pretty experienced guy, and I destroyed him, only knowing the controls. That's bad.

8. Seneca_22

Seneca_22 Member

Define experienced!!!

There are a lot of scrubs who can play the game since it was released and not know the inner workings that make you a better player.

I'm sure the same can be said of a VF player. Maybe they learn a few things from the movelist, come up with some strats of their own, but maybe never come here to learn the deeper stuff. Are they truly experienced?

9. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    I own Evo and SC2. It is comparing apples to oranges. I have friends who like to play fighters. I let them play SC2 because they can play it with no practice. When they try to play Evo against me, they can't walk, they can't punch two times in a row. I can't even get pleasure from beating them up. They are that powerless.

I have a relative who owns SC2. He practices SC2, I beat him and I never practice SC2. Because I practice Evo I can beat seasoned SC2 and DOA players. Someone who never practices Evo has no chance of beating an experienced Evo player, no matter what other game he plays.

10. Nanaki

Nanaki New Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Mcoleman2 said:Because I practice Evo I can beat seasoned SC2 and DOA players. Someone who never practices Evo has no chance of beating an experienced Evo player, no matter what other game he plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure that is 100% accurrate... i own both EVO and SC2, and so far, i've been using EVO to play on my own, or with a friend who plays it also, and SC2 when a bunch of my friends come over, because it's easier for them to get into... but i don't beat people at other fighting games because i play EVO... in my opinion, EVO and SC2 play rather different, and most of my friends beat the crap out of me at SC2... and i consider myself pretty good at EVO, and i kick their butt at evo... (that's the reason they don't play me, actually... ^^

Nanaki out.

11. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

that's because anyone can just press buttons in sc2 and pull off insane damage combos.

12. Lingoon

Lingoon Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

that's because anyone can just press buttons in sc2 and pull off insane damage combos.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny cause SC2 doesn't have insane damage combos...

Air control sucks.

13. Darrius_Cole

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    I am not going to argue about why I can beat him at a game he practices and I don't. But I can consistently beat him.

I think it is because SC2 is more about spacing and timing when you block, than about knowing which moves to use in which situations. I won't argue over that though.

Other than head-to-head competition, he is better at SC2 than I am. He is much better at the weapon master mode than I am and he can deliberately launch all of the specific attacks for several characters. I simply block correctly and throw correctly. My SC2 movelist consists of
    #1) A, A, B
    #2) B, B, A
    #3) 1B (or "1A", I forget which)
    #4) A + K , A + K
    #5) B + G
    #6) 6B
    (all with Taki). With these 6 moves I mash my way to victory.

He showed me DOA3. I was on par with him on the 2nd day of practice. Oh yeah, that damn easy reversal makes me want to sue Techmo.

Maybe I am incorrect on the reason why, but that has been my experience.

14. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

ok ok, not combos, but just pressing 2 buttons with no d pad should not be able to kill someone in 10 seconds.

15. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    For some reason (I don't know why), I was thinking about why SC2 is such a good fighter for new players to pick up (remember: just because new players pick it up easily does NOT make it a "casual party game"), and I figured it out! It's intuitive. Everything you do in the game makes sense. From hitting grounded opponents, to throwing, to evasion, to guarding... all of them come naturally. I think that's the beauty of SC2, to players at an introductory level.

I was thinking about this in comparison to VF4, GGXX, and SF3, btw. Because in all 3 of those games, you can learn all of the technical stuff you want, but the systems aren't intuitive: you have to know the game, in order to know when something will/will not work. In SC2, if something seems like it should work, it probably does!

16. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Mcoleman2 said:
    Because I practice Evo I can beat seasoned SC2 and DOA players.

[/ QUOTE ]

All this shows is that your DOA and SC2 playing friends are not very good at their chosen game. [*enter flame about how great they are here*]

There is no way you should beat a seasoned DOA or SC player without practicing "their" games. If you do, they are NOT seasoned players.

17. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    Or they are just goofing around and having tons of fun. Which is something that is rather weird concept for some VF players...

Fun... what is it
    . Can I eat it?

18. Darrius_Cole

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    [ QUOTE ]
    By StoneColdSerb:
    All this shows is that your DOA and SC2 playing friends are not very good at their chosen game. [*enter flame about how great they are here*]

There is no way you should beat a seasoned DOA or SC player without practicing "their" games. If you do, they are NOT seasoned players.

[/ QUOTE ] Why would I flame over that? They probably won't win any tournaments or anything. But, they have exhausted the A.I. within the SC2 game. I can not do this. But still, I can beat them regularly.

Far, more skills are fundamental in VF4, than are in SC2. Should I block or should I evade? Should I use this throw or that throw? Should I use the simple to perform low risk attack, or the difficult to perform high-risk attack? With SC2 none of those questions comes into play. You chose the right weapon, approach, block, and counter-attack. Nearly, all of the commands are simple, and they all do substantial damage if they land.

It is a huge load of your mind if you are accustomed to VF4. There is no need to worry above multiple TE's, or sabaki's, or at which attacks to aim your reversals. It is just easier to play. Compared to VF4 it is a vacation.

[ QUOTE ]
    By B4k4
    For some reason (I don't know why), I was thinking about why SC2 is such a good fighter for new players to pick up (remember: just because new players pick it up easily does NOT make it a "casual party game"), and I figured it out! It's intuitive. Everything you do in the game makes sense. From hitting grounded opponents, to throwing, to evasion, to guarding... all of them come naturally. I think that's the beauty of SC2, to players at an introductory level.

[/ QUOTE ]I think it is because the command (A, A, A,) does 40% damage without putting you at a large disadvantage. But it is intuitive that 3 chops with a sword would hurt you REALLY BAD /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

19. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    [ QUOTE ]
    Mcoleman2 said:
    I think it is because the command (A, A, A,) does 40% damage without putting you at a large disadvantage. But it is intuitive that 3 chops with a sword would hurt you REALLY BAD /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Who, in SC2, has an AAA command? Nobody.

Who has an AA that even comes close to being 40%?

Seriously, I have no clue what you're talking about.

20. Lingoon

Lingoon Well-Known Member

I don't really play SC2, but doesn't Taki have AAA...?

(Who cares... /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif)