1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua fighter 4 evolution !!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Chibitox, May 13, 2002.

1. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Yes !! Fresh news !!
    Sega has made the official announcement of the next VF uptade and it's called virtua fighter 4 evolution.
    The game will run on naomi 2 and will feature new backgrounds and 2 new characters (rumors about taka ...) and will be released this summer in jap arcades.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    There's already thread(s) on the topic of VF4 "Evolution", so it would be appreciated if you replied there.

Anyway..

Sega has made the official announcement of the next VF uptade and it's called virtua fighter 4 evolution.

I just checked on Sega's official homepage and found nothing. Where was this "official announcement" made? Do you have a url for us?

3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Yes -- let's see that 'official' announcement. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Chibitox

Sorry I hadn't time to check for the thread.
    For the URL I've got one but it's in french and the site says that the announcement is official and I consider it as a pretty reliable site so ...

5. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

So put the URl up, French is my first language. People can also use translators or at worst I can translate the info.

6. GaijinPunch

You guys are forgetting one big, massive point here. There's been NO official announcement! Japanese firms are notorious for being silent until an official announcement. Japanese employees are famous for being loyal to their company (and as such, their rules on keeping their asses shut). And finally, that non-Japanese (mainly English) game sites are infamous for posting rumors.

Anyone here not remember how many Nights 2 & Panzer Dragoon for DC rumors were spit out in three years... ALL of them saying "sources close to...". in short -- I'm not saying it won't happen, but don't believe shit until it's official.

7. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Unless you can pull something miraculous out of your magic hat, which I doubt. You've pretty much condemned yourself to a reputation as a Bull S***er, that is of course if anyone bothers to remember you...

8. Chibitox

Ok SORRY SORRY SORRY I was certainly too euphoric,but
    I wasn't trying to tell bull *** anyone (anyway why do people have to be so arrogant and cynical ?)
    The announcement doesn't seem to be really official, the site in question isn't really clear about it .In the first sentence they said that it's probably just a rumor, but then they use the affirmative french form to inform that "VF evolution " is currently in developpement giving accurate details.The only thing that doesn't seem to be sure is the release date.

I agree with what I've been said on Nights 2 and so on but, considering some of the last Suzuki's interviews I wouldn't be surprise if it was true.

Anyway, again I'm sorry for using the wrong words, let's wait and see...
    Here is the link http://www.the-sugoi.com/compose.php?Ndate=12052002&Nnum=4

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    FrenchAkira, don't take it personally. Although I think Adio came down hard on you, I think you should be careful about giving "official announcements" without acknowledging or providing a source.

10. GaijinPunch

I agree. While I hate rumors, I must say that this one, while I don't think totally accurate or founded, is likely going to happen. Title and details set aside, VF4 has made Sega TONS of money - mainly the arcades. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the most high-grossing arcade of all time. However, w/ the PS2 release, the numbers of Arcade players has gone down a bit (not drastically) but noticeable. An upgrade w/ new characters might boost it again.

Now, whether Sega wants to commit suicide by putting it on the Xbox, I'm still not sold on.

11. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

Now, whether Sega wants to commit suicide by putting it on the Xbox

You mean like Tecmo with Dead or Alive 3?

12. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Hey, DOA3 is OK to Watch...

<font color=orange>>>Now, whether Sega wants to commit suicide by putting it on the Xbox <<

You mean like Tecmo with Dead or Alive 3?</font color=orange>

C'mon, Deniz, DOA3 is OK to watch. Maybe not to play... But it's pretty cool just to watch a few fights... LOL

And Jann Lee is The Best Video Character Homage to Bruce Lee bar none...

13. GaijinPunch

Re: Hey, DOA3 is OK to Watch...

Not sure if Deniz comment is sarcasm are not, but lemme explain my theory.

VF4 is making loads more in Japan than anywhere else -- (home console talking). I don't know the exact numbers, but they cleared 500,000 pieces in Japan extremely fast. Anyways, they're not going to sell 500,000 in Japan on the X-box, plain and simple. In fact, I'd say they'd lose money. They might make it back in America, but I'd be surprised if they even scratched in every other region.

14. Chibitox

Unless you can pull something miraculous out of your magic hat, which I doubt. You've pretty much condemned yourself to a reputation as a Bull S***er, that is of course if anyone bothers to remember you...

I think 3of19's post is dedicated to you Adio.
    A new VF is effectively in developpement,this is no magic hat trick, it's reality. I knew this was 90% true but now ,here is the proof, so PLEASE don't come and trash talk without knowing who you're talking with.

15. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

Re: Hey, DOA3 is OK to Watch...

Anyways, they're not going to sell 500,000 in Japan on the X-box, plain and simple.

And just how do you know this? It's not so plain and simple. The opposite could occur -- it could be the game that sells 500,000 new Xboxes in Japan. You just don't know. Tecmo did quite well with DOA3 sales in Japan; releasing it on the Xbox was not "suicide."

In fact, I'd say they'd lose money. They might make it back in America, but I'd be surprised if they even scratched in every other region.

Predictions are like old city street lampposts; they are great to lean on, but provide little illumination.

16. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

If you really want to do the math..............

Over a MILLION copies of DOA3 have been SOLD to Xbox owners world wide. Add that to the fact the game is starting to get old to alot of people, and that there are NO real fighters coming out until SC2 next year, this winter is the PERFECT opportunity for Sega to release VF4E on the Xbox, they have a very good chance of selling over a million units.

17. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

This annoucement is about as official as it gets

It was made at the Sega Shareholders meeting this week, can't get much more official than that. There is a good article at IGN if your an insider, your not? Well here you go.

Sega Spills the Beans
    Fist of the North Star and Virtua Fighter:Evolution highlight new game announcements.

May 17, 2002 - Sega of Japan went over many an important point today for stockholders in
    its quarterly report. Broadcast live over the Internet by the Japanese Sega
    website, we learned quite a few interesting details concerning approaching
    titles, and future projects as well.

Sega expects a revitalization of the market in Japan, Europe, and the
    United States in the next quarter, and feel that the games to be unveiled at
    E3 next week will help to lead the way. Additionally, Sega feels that the
    negative press it has received over the years for the failure of the
    Dreamcast and various other hardware decisions has been swept away because
    of their commitment to software.

Virtua Fighter 4 has sold 1.5 million units, Sonic Adventure on GameCube
    has sold nearly 1 million units, and Super Monkey Ball has sold almost
    700,000 pieces.

Sega's goal is to become the number one company for amusement, and
    forecast 16.9 billion yen in sales for the next fiscal term. These numbers
    include software sales, pachinko, and arcades.

Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution was talked about slightly, but is headed for
    arcades only at this point, with no console named. It will have networking
    capabilities of an unknown extent.

An upcoming mahjong game whose title was not revealed and Bingo Party
    were other arcade titles slated for Japan, while a version of "Who Wants to
    be a Millionaire?" will be distributed in throughout European arcades and
    allow players to win prizes if they answer questions correctly.

Sega is working diligently on arcade boards to make for easy transition
    to consoles. One of which was the previously named Triforce (the joint Namco
    and Nintendo board) and another one codenamed "Chiro". The GameCube and Xbox
    specifically were named as the target systems for "Chiro".

Sega will be releasing fewer titles in Japan and North America and
    restructure its research and development teams to focus on making games as
    efficiently and effectively as possible.

Sega plans on matching EA Sports release dates, title for title, so that
    a clear winner can be determined. The phrase "Sega vs. EA" was a dominating
    theme throughout the sports-related presentation.

A video was shown illustrating Panzer Dragoon (Xbox), Shinobi (PS2), and
    F-Zero (GCN), but were unfortunately blackened out for the internet viewers.
    There was also another video shown earlier in the presentation, but what
    game it represented was not revealed.

Sega has secured the seven year exclusivity rights to all 700 works of
    Osamu Tezuka, Japan's most famous comic artist, the creator of Astro
    Boy and Kimba the White Lion. Sega's other high-profile manga
    acquisition is the license to Hokuto no Ken, the bloody
    post-apocalyptic adventure known in the states as Fist of the North
    Star.

Sega plans on introducing a new simulation-based soccer game to its
    ongoing line of Sega Sports games. As well as a new versions of Sonic the
    Hedgehog and Sega Rally.

House of the Dead is returning to consoles, but not as a light-gun
    shooter. It instead will be revived as a survival-horror adventure series.
    No other details were revealed. A Sakura Taisen sequel was also mentioned
    for release "overseas".

After those major revelations were announced, a reiteration of becoming the
    number one company for amusement and called it a day. For more on these
    interesting announcements, check back with us next week from E3.

-- IGN

18. Chibitox

Re: This annoucement is about as official as it gets

Thanks for report Cause.
    I didn't know about the hokuto no ken and tezuka stuff, waiting for a good Fist of the north star fighting game.
    Happy to see that a new sega rally is scheduled.

Sakura overseas?? waow ... I still hardly beleive it.

But the most MINDBLOWING news is the new mahjong game yesssssss ^_^

19. GaijinPunch

Re: This annoucement is about as official as it gets

Cause, good report, but I still stick to my comment about the X-box. I remember how us hardcore DC fans used to say, "This is the game that's going to sell a million X-boxes!". Well, none of them ever did, or got even close.

The only two Sega sequels on teh X-box were games that sold way more in the US than Japan (Panzer Dragoon & JSRF) -- following this pattern, VF has a snowballs chance in hell on appearing on the X-box.

20. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Makes Sense to Me...

Business-wise, I'd have to concur. Per PSM's May 2002 issue:

<font color=white>PS2 Total Console Sales: 8.3 Million Units
    Xbox Total Console Sales: 1.8 Million Units
    GameCube Total Console Sales: 1.5 Million Units</font color=white>

Money usually goes to where money is... However, globally, DOA3 has sold over 1 million copies: that's a very impressive Game to Console ratio. And considering VF's heritage, Sega would have no problem eclipsing 1.5 million units sold with a XBox user base. MS would have to put up a sweet deal with Sega/AM2 to get that delivery. That, too, is not an improbability. It may yet be in the mix seeing that Xbox needs something to pull itself up out of this hole...