1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 4 first impression.

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2001.

1. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    "but the graphics are in line with the fighting games of today"

HAH!!

Even through the blurry mpegs, i can see that the graphics are vastly improved over the best that current consoles have to offer. TTT (arguably best looking fighting game around) has gorgeous character models and all, but Naomi 2 is a texture and lighting BEAST!! If PS2 has to work hard to replicate the DC level of textures, let alone surpass them, how the hell is it going to compete with 30-something megs of textures within Naomi 2?!

Im just saying that the down-grade in the visuals will be very apparent to nit-picks like me....

Fuggedabout it!!

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Who knows... maybe VF4 on PS2 will mean Vector Fighter 4/images/icons/tongue.gif JK of course. We'll see how it turns out. Just be glad it's not like they're gonna make a PSX version with all the texture shifting (I can't explain the headache I have right now/images/icons/tongue.gif). Don't worry, we'll all be nitpicking it most likely/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai

P.S. No offense to vector-heads, I like vectors myself (damn I miss the old Star Wars game).

3. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

i got a mate who dont like vf3...

becuase he said it was to easy to complete HA HA HA . my mate doesnt get the point of fighting games

'Strong body but a weak mind' Sam Seed from Drunken Masters

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Correct if I'm wrong, but I thought that the sloped and multilevel battlegrounds in VF3 were a huge selling point from the early buzz efforts. There was some initial promo attention paid to the snow stage and the island, both of which appeared to be quite clearly non-flat areas.

I guess I'll see the betas soon enough in Tokyo.

PS Your newbie comments are unwarranted.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Yup I mean the graphics, your timeline is correct, but what im trying to say is that is Sega wanted too they could have produced the same evolutionary jump in grpahics at a cost, which there ten year history suggests that they would have if they were not in such dire positions.

I mean VF1/2 came out in the days of genesis, VF3 came out in the days of Saturn/PSX. VF4 is coming out in the days of a PS2. Vf 1/2/3 were all produced on expensive model 1/2/3 hardware, if they wanted too Sega could have taken this approach. If the developers wanted too they could have developed Virtua Fighter 4 on a custom designed board giving you the x10 looks factor that we have come to expect. VF4 may look good but like the person before said, its really evolutionary from current games not revolutionary. If sega spent the money they could have produced a game like that, its definately not the limitation of the developers...

CrewNYC

On a side note Namco has never been to one to release the first game, but how come every game they have released looks worse than the VF series? Tekken 3 looked considerably worse than VF3, it would not surprise me given the history for Tekken 4 to look worse than VF4.

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree with you completely. If Suzuki had his way he would have made the hardware as powerful as he could but unfortunately economic constraints forbid otherwise. Again though, on a technical level Naomi 2 actually goes beyond what Suzuki promised for VF4. Three times the polygon output of VF3 is 3 million pps; VF4 on Naomi 2 definitely goes beyond that. However, we are at a point of diminishing returns (at least to the average person's eyes) and so I am not at all surprised that the leap doesn't seem to be quite so large.

As for Namco, the reason why Tekken often looks inferior to its VF counterpart is simple--they are made on inferior hardware. I don't think this is going to change if T4 is released under the PS2-compatible arcade hardware. I guess the real point of comparison would then be the home ports of VF4 and T4, despite the probable fact that VF4 comes first and that Namco has much more experience with the PS2 than AM2.

ice-9<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ice-9 on 2/26/01 03:56 PM.</FONT></P>

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Yup it coincides with my theory that sega is operating to generate revenue which is a smart move for the company. If sega were the old sega, the law of diminishing returns would not hold weight. simply, like you said, because of this law of diminishing returns we cant see the changes unless some super hardware were to be developed, I think Yu Suzuki would not settle for anything less. History would seem to suggest so.

CrewNYC

CrewNYC

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Sounds silly: but what was first VF2 or tekken 1

The saturn and the playstation came out at the end of 1994(november,october)
    as you can see in the link below Vf2 came at the same time.
    as far as i know there wasn't a system 11 around at that time the only 3D fighter that co-existed with VF2 was: Toshinden1.
    I had a discussion with a friend about this 'primitive'topic(A:"i was right"B:"no, you're a liar" A:"I'm better then you are!" B:"mine is bigger then yours" hehehe)
    Can someone confirm that VF2 was about half a year before out then tekken? please!!

http://www.sega-rd2.com/prof/work_e.html

9. adamYUKI

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    "...unless some super hardware were to be developed"

Umm....This "super hardware" would cost an arm and a leg - which means that most arcade will shy away form carrying it. The arcades that do get the game will charge you $2 to play it - which means less people play the game, and that means NO competition, Andy. This is what happened to VF3 in the U.S, doood.

Sega had to find the right balance and they have succeeded marvelously with the Naomi 2 (offering kick ass visuals at low price).

10. adamYUKI

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    AMEN, brutha!

I loved the added variables in vf3 - so much shit to think about while playing.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Shaolin martial arts are not only learned in China. The government persecuted martial artists, and religious people, during the Cultural Revolution in the 1970's. Duringthis time, many martial artists, including the Shaolin practitioners stopped showing their skill, and tried to move to other countries, such as USA, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea, etc. Basically anywhere they could go to escape persecution and execution. Lao Bun and Kuo Lien Ying are definitely the real deal when it comes to Shao Lin arts, though Kuo favored Xing Yi and Tai Ji later in life, and they both lived in San Francisco China Town. So your statement is not a fact, it is only that which you believe. Do some searching in non-peoples republic sources and you will find that their was a huge exodus during the Cultural Revolution. Not only Shao Lin and family stylists left, but intellectuals and engineers that the government valued FAR MORE than martial artists were executed and imprisoned for fears of them stirring up insurrection. They also feared martial artists for inciting rebellion, which happened in the late 1800's with the various chaun shu schools that rebelled against foreign powers. Ever wonder why the shao lin temples were destroyed and rebuilt?

12. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

I agree.

I also might add that has anyone considered Naomi2 to be the "super-hardware"? What I mean is: Naomi2 is Model4, imo. Look at the videos. They speak for themselves - the game is a massive leap from VF3. A zillion more lighting and texture effects, as well as a significant jump in the number of polygons for both the backgrounds (especially) and the characters. I'm not quite sure what people were expecting, but...

The changes and 'revolutions' in graphical quality become more and more difficult to notice upon first glance as technology progresses. Of course the change in VF4 from VF3 won't be as noticeable as the leap from 2 to 3 - we've come so far in graphics quality since then. Now, looking at VF4, the textures and lighting and incredibly well designed backgrounds make it the next generation of VF.

Kbcat said it best: You started with a block. You then got a block with shading. Next came a shaded block with some detail. Now, we've got the same block with an enormous amount of super detail. This is VF4.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

13. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

beta pai looks lovely but beta shun looks werid

'Strong body but a weak mind' Sam Seed from Drunken Masters

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Re:Chang Quan!!!!!!!!!.

I'll send you a link to the whole chang quan form video. it's in poor quality, but you can identify it with the monk.

http://www.csupomona.edu/~ssgao/ywq1.mov

watch and see the similarities, and differences.

15. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

dude
    em link don't work~~!

<font color=red>SummErs' 'mibu's lone wolf'

16. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

it worked for me...

man that looks just like the monk did, i always get a kick out of seeing game moves done in real life.

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>
    fuck spelling!

17. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
    DID NOT WORK FOR MEEEEEEE!!!!!

FUCK!

<font color=red>SummErs' 'mibu's lone wolf'