1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Release System Info

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Pai_Garu, Jun 30, 2006.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    and not only that, but the opponent plays exactly the same choice game as you there is no advantage or disadvantage~

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I think the above is the key thing. That's why it's still better to be +1 or +2 than 0, because the opponent also gets the chance to 0-frame you.

You know what 0-frames do? It weakens the delay game. This means that if the opponent does delay (by holding G) attack, a 0-frame throw will win. If the opponent does back dash attack (I am assuming you can 0-frame throw backdashing opponents), a 0-frame throw will win. Thus going for throws can be an effective defensive tactic at disadvantaged situations.

Cool.

2. nin

nin Well-Known Member

In addition, 0 frame will not occur after a throw escape too.

3. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

hmm, ic`~~

but ~if an akira ~ did P, K to me, i'd already have fuzzy guard buffered by the time he finishes~i think

i think in that situation, delay would only occur if the opponent attemps to ETEG~ which then you'd get the 0 frame throw?~

but even so~ fuzzy guard would easliy be strong in that situation~~ i think the -0 situation would be instant guess~ but as i said before, i really dont know what would happen if both players entered a throw`~ o__o

i think +1 block P would cause a freeze moment tho,

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    [ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:
    i really dont know what would happen if both players entered a throw`~ o__o

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmm. I think the same as if both players entered a throw in even situation in VF4?

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hmm, the 0-frame tactic is for the defender. I.e. if Akira hits you with [6][6][P], Akira may expect you to do ETEG, ARE, or reverse nitaku. Thus Akira would choose to delay attack such as shoulder ram, beating most of the above options. In that situation if you, the defender, goes for the 0-frame throw Akira will lose if he's just standing there or back dashing. In VF4, the 8-frame throw execution might be too slow for it to work well, but in VF5 it'll be "instant."

6. nobody

nobody Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Unicorn said:
    Hmm. I think the same as if both players entered a throw in even situation in VF4?

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's a coin toss, right? I remember getting some random results when testing the priority of neutral versus command throws in training.

7. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Unicorn said:

[ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:
    i really dont know what would happen if both players entered a throw`~ o__o

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I remember reading a document somewhere here, where if it's exactly the same frame that both players inputted a throw/different direction the cpu randomly chooses the thrower, there is a programmed outcome for it like in vf4.

8. Taiyoken

Taiyoken Member

[ QUOTE ]
    BiakkoSoShoda said:

gulp, long time no see... I think about 3 years. ANY NEWS ABOUT NEW MOVES FOR AKIRA? Ican't wait to play it on PS3. The two new characters, REY MISTERIO AND FEMALE KUNG FU SEEMS CRAP TO ME... Do u agree?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Trying to kill the Caps Lock? Whatever. I think Eileen is pretty nice character. She has kinda funny fighting style. But El Blaze? I dunno... I don't like him too much. Too cocky for me... /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif And he shouts: "Heavyweights are nothing to me!" Not bad. But after beating Pai? Crazy.

9. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Article - Arcadia 76 System Changes
    Author - Yanaga
    Source - Myke
    Translation - Noodalls

[P]/[2][P] changes
    The basic moves too have big changes. Firstly the standing [P], most characters execution has increased speed. The heavy weights [P] is now the same speed as a [2][P], and the middle and light weights [P] are a little faster. The new characters Blaze is a middle weight [P] and Eileen is a light weight [P].
    The advantage after a [2][P] hit has changed. The advantage on a minor counter has increased, to make there a difference from the recovery on a normal hit. Also, on counter hit the advantage is longer, slightly more than that of a standing [P] normal hit. They may be small changes, but their influence on the art of war is great.

- The execution on lightweights [P] makes it a great abare move. After eating a standing [P] it will beat a middle class move.
    - Lion's [2][P] advantage on hit has been changed to be the same as other charactes, making it easier to attack with.

Tidbit - Various system changes - counter hit [2][P] into tsukami cannot be evaded by ducking. Also, it will double hit with most standing moves, so when you get a [2][P] on counter hit use tsukami throw lots.
    If [2][P] hits on minor counter, a tsukami throw can be ducked, but depending on ** if it's a zero frame throw you can throw them before they duck. But, the timing is quite strict.

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the translation Noodalls! Is this for Revision 1?

11. noodalls

This probably applies to both. It was in article 76 which is when they also noted the changes in Rev1, but under the section where they discussed changes from FT to VF5. This makes me think there weren't changes to these aspects in the upgrade. The other sections were wall splats, bound juggles and changes to ukemi.

12. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Have tsukami execution time been sped up again? Looks somewhat faster in newer movies.

13. noodalls

Topic - VF5 System Points Pickup
    Author - Yanaga
    Article - Arcadia 77
    Source -Myke
    Translation - Noodalls

Let's introduce the small piece of information that relate to the fine changes to back turned stance (BT) and the difference between characters in ducking status.

From BT status using guarding, [6][6] or [3][3] to turn around is slightly changed from how it was in VF4 FT. It's a important system closely allied with your winning percentage, so understand it fully.
    Firstly, turning around using [G], unchanged from VF4 FT, turning around has a bit of time lag, and once you have turned around there is still a period during which you cannot block.
    The biggest cahnge is ducking and guarding to turn around. In VF4 FT you would duck in an instant, but in this version it takes about the same amount of time to duck as in a normal ducking situation. Because of this, when in a largely disadvantaged situation in BT, you cannot duck to avoid throws. Conversely, while using [G] to turn around you can switch between standing and crouching, meaning that in small disadvantaged situations it is easier to use. Another change is that in the time until you enter into a guarding state, the amount of time when you will eat a hit from the front has increased.
    Evade, [6][6] and [3][3] inputs still put you into forward facing in an instant. However, [3][3] does not instantly put you into a ducking state, but rather puts you into a ducking state in the same amount of time it would take as if you were facing forwards. It's not a panacea against throws, but rather can be used in a number of situations to avoid tsukaimi throws.
    What's being used recently in offence/defence from BT is an ASAP tsukami throw following moves like kage's [6][P]+[G] or Shun's [3][P]+[G]. Even if you try to abare against the throw to avoid it, normal moves will doublehit, and if the thrower attacks he will score a counter hit, so it's high risk. Against this, not guarding is the recommendation.
    *Didn't get this sentence?*
    ALso, during the non-guarding time, holding the lever down only will allow you to duck, meaning that even if [6][2][3][P]+[K] or [2][3][6][P] connect, the float will be relativly low.

- The disadvantage is such that Lau cannot block a middle-weight's [P] after having [6][6][P]+[K] blocked...
    Using [3][3] motion allows you to avoid a tsukami throw. Use it wisely against tsukami throws.

- After Shun's [3][P]+[G] into tsukami throw, a guaranteed [2][3][6][P] makes it rough to abare out of.
    - By not guarding and ducking, you can evade the throw and reduce the height on [2][3][6][P].

The slow characters to reach crouching status have been found!
    Using [2][G] to enter crouching status was thought to be the same across all characters, but it has been found that a small portion of characters are slightly slower. Of the old characters Sarah, Jeffrey and Vanessa (Offensive style), adding the new Characters Blaze and Eileen for a total of five.
    These characters crouch is slow so, after a standing [P] hits on normal hit they cannot duck quickly enough to avoid a tsukami throw. In this condition, anything up to a middle kick class of move will double hit, so going for a tsukami throw is a powerful option. Make attack strings agains these characters where they won't be able to duck tsukami throws. However, their crouch dash time is unchanged compared to other characters, so they can still use a crouch dash to avoid a tsukami throw.

- After a standing [P] on normal hit, normally you can crouch to avoid a tsukami throw,
    - but a subset of characters cannot crouch to avoid it, so you have a powerful mixup.

Tidbit -

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It's strange/surprising that five characters have different crouch frames. I wonder if this was on purpose, and if so, why?

15. noodalls

Topic - The art of using OM
    Author - Chakki
    Source - Myke
    Translation - Noodalls

Without OM, you can't say it's VF5.
    On first inspection, OM could be thought of as hard to use, but if you can think of places to use it, it is very powerful. In this version, put it into your attacking!

In disadvantae defensive move (DM), conversely in advantaged situations offensive move (OM) has it's best effect.
    For example, after blocking an opponent's mid-hitting move, use buffering to input OM as fast as possible, and if the opponent attacks (abare) you will avoid it, and can slam them with an OM attack during their recovery. In the event that the opponent evaded or did nothing, you can do OM to throw for a powerful mixup. In advantaged situations using it can lead to strong options.
    The OM [P] has very little recovery, and is strong in that you can really not care about the recovery even when it is guarded. On the other hand, the OM [K] on guard is quite negative, but conversely on side (or back) on minor counter or above it will give a crumple and then a combo.
    But, pressuring in advantaged situations with mixups is more effective. So, try using it in small advantage situations, particularly where even the fastest throw can be duck guarded and avoided. In the box (Myke, box please?) you can try to pick up the most useful places in fights to use it, so reference that.

[ QUOTE ]
    1. From Standing [P]
    Just by having it blocked, standing [P] creates an advantaged situation and is the easiest to create situation. Firstly, you can do it without hit confirming, just do standing [P] to OM to set it up is fine. After this, become used to the OM openings. Of course, other moves that yield advantaged situations on block can also be used.

- On guard or normal hit, both into OM is useful, on counter you can pressure with nitaku.

2. From [2][P]
    Because [2][P] is negative frames on block, you need to hit confirm. Of course, in disadvantaged situations [2][P] will often hit, so going from there to OM is not bad. Or, after [2][P] evade, and if it hits press [P]+[K]+[G] ... is another way.

- After [2][P] on normal hit you areslightly advantaged. You can use OM to create options.

3. From [P][K]
    Often used as a retaliatory attack, [P][K] for most characters will give slight advantage on hit. Because it is easy to see the hit situation, it is easy to apply OM. Otherwise, moves that hit in a string, or moves that on hit give a littl advantage can be used to your liking. Check out and try the moves that your character possesses.

- Because the advantage after [P][K] is normally small, OM works well.

[/ QUOTE ]

- If you use OM in an advantaged situation, you can easily avoid your opponent's attack. Using it in a disadvantaged situation is X.
    - Evade the attack, and split between the small-opening OM [P] or big return OM [K].

- You can use it as a strategy against strings of moves, where they continue the string or stop in the middle and use antother move as well.

Using OM to attack side ukemi
    After knocking the opponent down, you can use OM to attack their tech-rolls. Because OM [P] is very fast to attack, you won't get off axis against ukemi. Afterknocking them down, use OM to approach them. Then, watch their timing in rising, and use OM [P] to target them. If you get the timing right, they can't use evades or atemi to avoid the hit. Which is to say, OM -> throw becomes a perfect mixup. Of course, if the character you use possesses a crouch throw you can add that to the mixup as well. Because the risk after having a OM [P] blocked is low, it is a fairly powerful attack against side ukemi.

- After knocking them down, quickly enter OM and if the opponent opts to ukemi,
    - match the timing and input [P]. If you can accurately pressur them, they can't avoid it except by standing guard.

Attack rising with OM.
    There is no definite success or fail method to using OM in avoiding full circular attacks. For example, even with full circular rising attacks, if the timing is right you can avoid them.
    What you are aiming for, is to pressure the fastest rising attacks that don't allow any followups. (Not entirely sure about this bit) Facing up feet towards and facing down head towards go for stomach side, for other conditions go for back side with OM. However, evade directions and opponent character's attacks change, so you'll just have to remember the specifics. On the other hand, they can delay and go for a rising attack, but an OM [K] will stuff this. Also, against opponents who rise and don't attack, OM --> throw is a good nitaku to apply.

- Connect a OM [K] to crumple to slam combo while avoiding the opponent's rising attack.
    - The direction to avoid depends on the situation of your opponent on the ground. Try to see it as quickly as possible.

16. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

Very nice info. Thx a lot! ^____^

/KiwE

17. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Awesome info--what I've been waiting for. Thanks Noodalls and Myke!!

18. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

Thanks for that post, it was really good...

Thinking about it, I think one of the reasons I wasn't having luck with OM in advantaged situations was because I wasn't buffering it right... Just like we had to get used to buffering DM in disadvantaged situations in VF4 days, now I'm going to have to get used to buffering OM in advantaged situations... I'll try it out!

-Alex

19. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

[ QUOTE ]

What's being used recently in offence/defence from BT is an ASAP tsukami throw following moves like kage's [6][P]+[G] or Shun's [3][P]+[G]. Even if you try to abare against the throw to avoid it, normal moves will doublehit, and if the thrower attacks he will score a counter hit, so it's high risk. Against this, not guarding is the recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused by this... After Kage's [6][P]+[G] people are using 0 frame throws? Was this Kage using it for more damage or the opponent using it to escape? How come I always see Kage just do [9][K] after that throw?

What about Shun? If he could get a 0 frame back throw after [3][P]+[G] it'd be -sick-...

-Alex

20. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    supergolden said:

I'm a little confused by this... After Kage's [6][P]+[G] people are using 0 frame throws? Was this Kage using it for more damage or the opponent using it to escape? How come I always see Kage just do [9][K] after that throw?

What about Shun? If he could get a 0 frame back throw after [3][P]+[G] it'd be -sick-...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen movies where both Kage and Shun have gotten 0-frame back throws against their opponent after the throw, but it's not guaranteed and requires the opponent to cooperate. That's why they go for the guaranteed [9][K] instead.

The 0 frame back throw will only work if the opponent, if I understood the translation correctly, does nothing but hold [G]. Holding [G] from BT won't turn you around instantly and I'm guessing this is considered an idle state where 0-frame throws will result.

If the opponent enters a crouching dash input instead, they'll be in the motion of crouching, which isn't considered an idle state, and a normal throw will result which the opponent may end up ducking.

Against this, not guarding is the recommendation
    I think this sentence, which noodalls says he didn't get, is saying that if you hold [G] after those throws, you'll be susceptible to a 0-frame back throw, so turning around without using [G] (using a dash input instead) is the recommendation. Again, attacking from BT does stop the throw (clash), but there's a risk of a counter hit.