1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 5 on Avoiding the Puddle

Discussion in 'General' started by AlexMD, Jun 14, 2010.

1. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I was referring to this thread, which on my screen is page 19 of 19.

The analogue/digital analogy is one I had in my head as well, probably around the time of looking into sidesteps in Tekken.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Oh, you're referring to the pages in this thread? [​IMG] Gotcha. Well, with all due respect I don't listen to ATP or any other Tekken related podcasts, and I'm not sure that many others here do, so is it that surprising no mention has been made?

While I don't go out of my way to look for VF mentions in non-VF mediums, I do appreciate you sharing the link!

3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    UK people tend to be quite educated *Puts on monocle. Sips earl grey*

He's definitely a Tekken head, but i imagine he's played VF at some point. Evo was pretty big a lot of people tried it. [​IMG]

4. smince82

smince82 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    wyliewood
    XBL:
    xsmincex
    yes! ive fixed my xbox only to find my internet is cut off grr lol hopfully be back on soon. i dint relise how much id miss playing online, it has become an addiction i dunno if i should bother with showdown, i think my girl will leave me lol. anway see you all soon hopfully i gotta find a spare 80 quid to get back online not to mention more live. sick as a chip!

5. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

He's said before that he wanted to play it but didn't have the time. Tekken 6 has an enourmous number of characters and data to learn yet he seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of it all. That's gotta be taking up all his free time [​IMG]

Thanks for the link Noodals I'll have a listen.

6. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I enjoy listening to TheDinosaur commentaries, it was very objective. I assume he prefers Tekken mechanics more so than Virtua Fighter mechanics, which of course, there is nothing wrong with.

7. Alstein

Alstein Well-Known Member

KOF to be is the best combo of mobility without insane execution requirements (there's some insane stuff in KOF though)

I think for strategy and 2D- AH is probably the most strategic 2D fighter, but you get some irritating execution to go with it.

BTW I separate strategic depth from tactical/execution depth. Two different, mostly unrelated facets of fighters. I love strategic depth and loathe execution depth.

8. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Yeah, TheDinosaur has a very firm grasp when it comes to Tekken, though I'm not sure how much he knows about Virtua Fighter. I started a thread on Tekken Zaibatsu a few years back I think asking some specific questions on Tekken's system. It was perceived by the way I structured my questions that I was a Virtua Fighter player, and at least one of his responses to me drew a comparison between the two games.

I think that he also worked on a strategy guide for Tekken. It may have been for Tekken 3, but I'm not sure. He's definitely a person to listen to if you want to hear an intelligent discourse.

Pai~Chun likes this.
  9. El_Twelve

El_Twelve Well-Known Member

Nice to hear some great and unbiased points on VF and fighting games in general there.

10. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

I listened to it all. Having played a lot of Tekken before I agree with much of what he said however the thing about reactions not quite. Both games test your reactions in different ways, in Tekken it's reacting to lows and being able to see and break throws while VF tests your reactions far more when it comes to hit checking. Counter hits and staggers play a much bigger role in VF and then there's the defensive options when your at frame disadvantage. In order to make the right decisions correctly you have to be able to react consistently to all those different hit effects and be able to use the defence system.

11. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Not voiding the puddle just another neat little thing about VF.

http://www.elive.pro/watch/D1dUQlUPdT22

Interview with Ryan Hart at round 20 minutes he mentions a funny thing about a VF tournament.

Haven't listened to the whole thing yet so far it's been pretty interesting dunno if he mentions VF again.

12. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Just a head's up - VF5FS and the VF community is again discussed in the latest ATP (N° 32).

13. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

what time stamp does the VF talk start?

14. soke

soke Well-Known Member

0:50:12

15. Macc

Macc Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SRKMacc
    XBL:
    Macc
  16. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    IcKY99 and Kamais_Ookin like this.
  17. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    He was referring to how people believe the brackets of last year's cup were rigged (some people getting plenty of byes, while others face pools of killers)
    But then again its Rip talking ...:p

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  18. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Listened the whole thing as usual.

If i understand correctly, Aris' argument can be summed up as: "The Tekken scene supported the VF scene when VF5FS was released. The VF scene did not reciprocate support when TTT2 was released. Ergo the VF scene is a bitch."

19. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    He is absolutely right though, when FS first came out most socal tekken players were playing VF, but when Tag 2 was released no vfers went to that game. Hell VF scene abandoned it's own game!!!!! Early WNF vf tourneys were 30+ entrants, months later we struggle to get a 6 man round robin. ...

cruzlink2 likes this.
  20. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    I think there is a misconception here...

For years VFers had nothing to play. Most Tekken players were on PS3. Most VFers were also on PS3, yet VF5 Vanilla had no online. Since the VF population was so spread out, we had nothing to play. Tekken was the next best thing.

PS3 VFers played Tekken for years, then FS dropped and we finally had a way to connect with other VFers across the country. So we went to play the game we loved and convinced our Tekken buddies to join us.

Tekken players played for bit then went back to Tekken for their own reasons. VFers were happy finally, and didn't care about TTT2, because we had a VF to play.

It wasn't that VFers didn't care to "reciprocate" by playing TTT2, we'd been playing Tekken for years. And now we had our own game to play finally. Tekken was just our midnight whore filling a hole left by VF suddenly walking out of our lives.

I don't know who this RIP guy is, but he sounds like an idiot.

As for VFers leaving the game? I'm not sure, but it certainly needs to be discussed...

IcKY99 likes this.