1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 5 on Avoiding the Puddle

Discussion in 'General' started by AlexMD, Jun 14, 2010.

1. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

And You don't Say lol!!

Qft!!! Ya Dunn Know, Mi Bethren ah gwan fi eat cuh dem nah wah us fi ave eet!!!

2. PandaXpress

PandaXpress Member

I completely agree. It's too bad though. And you are right I will just have to suck it up. This was the point I was making but I wasnt really clear. Thanks Flyingguillotine.

3. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    If I'm reading the command lists correctly, as far as VF is concerned, since 1993.

4. SDS_Overfiend1

SMH!!!

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    *sigh* somebody please shoot me.

6. SDS_Overfiend1

For him Myke? Puh-leeze!!

7. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    I volunteer to shoot Erdraug [​IMG]

8. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    You'd also shoot Myke! No validity in your statement [​IMG]

9. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    My post was unecessary, officious, unfunny and wrong and I apologize to Myke and everybody else who wasted their time reading it.

10. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

SF4 is one of those games that no matter what the matchups are, random things happen too often... Not to mention people can mash out on reversals, so even if you're on point with links, sometimes you can still get screwed over...

The same goes for Tekken, but its more or less the system screws you over, like doing a combo, and the axis changes (especially when its a wall combo) or getting thrown way after the initial frames of the move you just did (like an ewgf)... Sometimes the characters recover from the wall ridiculously faster than they should have...

11. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Actually if your links are on point they can't mash out.

Vf can screw you over as well you know. Especially when you use a character with really mad hitboxes like Blaze. Teleporting all over the place and shit.

12. jinxhand

I might have to expermient with some links and see what the window is... I haven't been too in-depth into SF4 as much since its simply not 3S... But I do know that my Ken links have been stopped once or twice during offline play and I normally can hit them consistantly... Maybe I just suck, but whatever...

VF does have hitbox issues... I personally know because I still get sweeped when I'm at the peak of [6][K], or even [9][K] and even [9][K]+[G]... There aren't axis issues like T6 though...

13. SPINMASTER X

SPINMASTER X Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SMX-001
    I don't think he was referring to the difficultly level of the execution.

14. Sharp7

Sharp7 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Sharp J7
    SF4 does have some depth for sure, but the thing is its still VERY ANNOYING TO PLAY, and half the time it feels like your fighting inputs not the opponent.
    The inputs may not even be that hard, but when you play many rounds over and over doing quarter circles etc gets REALLY tiring.

the pacing is just awkward in SF, there are no air dashes and other movement options that makes things just awkward. Going from SF to blazeblue is like getting your legs back its just SO MUCH SMOOTHER and easier to move around. There IS NO RUNNING FOWARD either in SF, and the back and forward dashes take too long and don't cover much ground.

All these things really make me feel like I'm fighting the awkward or tiring controls and lack of movement options than fighting an opponent. its SO awkward ugg I really can't emphasize that enough, and its just not fun to play.

15. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    He still referred to mere techniques, not their usage. Above techniques are all essentially input tehcniques, which could have simplified inputs and it wouldnt change the game in any way strategically. High jump cancelling is just another move in the repertoire. Ergo, they do not equate to depth. They are width, in essence.

ps. Im not against these as such, because fighting games need such techniques in my opinion. But in my eyes SF doesnt have as much depth on in general interesting things overall as people make it out to have. VF is going to the other direction, with fewer and fewer input-intensive techniques. Why cant we have best of both worlds?

16. jinxhand

Fewer input-intensive techniques = more casuals playing = more money in Sega's pocket...

The only example of having both input-intensive techniques and "depth" in one character would probably be (drumroll) Kazuya... I'll use wgf and ewgf as an example... Casuals can do wgf even on accident, but ewgf (which is a just-frame move that launches higher and allows for better combos) requires some practice, even if alittle. And on top of that, you have to be able to do that while "stair stepping" (or Korean stepping)...

And yes, its just an input, but the actual motion within the input allows for some depth, such as using wavedash to close in, and mixup (twin pistons, ws+4, df+2_ws+2, delayed ewgf, etc), or using wavedash to get in under highs (and some mids can be wavedashed under I believe)... Ok granted, its not much depth, but wouldn't it be safe to say that certain inputs do allow for depth??? Not necessarily the move by itself, but when it can be used, how its used, and what the benefits are if move 'a' is used against move 'b'...

17. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

Are you of the older fighting generation? I imagine younger guys would feel this way. SFIV to me is just....SF...with sparkles. I don't like sparkles.

18. jinxhand

If you want mobiliy, play KoF... It still has depth... I'm surprised Aris didn't bash this game yet...

19. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

http://www.buzzsprout.com/3308/27943-bryan-fury

19 pages coming up from the ATP podcast, and yet when TheDinosaur (one of the more knowledgeable players on Tekkenzaibatsu) makes some reasonable comments about VF and Tekken, not a word is said. Comments start from just before the hour mark.

20. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Really enjoyed listening to the podcast! It's fascinating to listen to TheDinosaur speak so positively about VF when compared to TK, but leaves me wondering why he doesn't play it? Well, I'm assuming he doesn't play.

BTW, where are these 19 pages you refer to?