1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VIrtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown - Netcode

Discussion in 'General' started by Shensun, May 31, 2021.

1. Shensun

Shensun Active Member

Will do some more testing but so far I've had 20 matches in the room lobbies

No laggy matches so far

Will investigate further in the morning

Zekiel likes this.
  2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Cross posting from the Console forum:

After over a decade of not playing VF, was excited to get VF5US and played a few dozen ranked matches today. I was mostly matching against Japanese players which is bad considering I'm in Singapore -- and the lag is unbearable.

It's not as if characters are teleporting all over the place but inputs seem delayed and it feels like I'm moving in quicksand. I dropped most of Kage's TFT -> knee combos, and I can tell some of my opponents struggled as well.

Is this level of lag normal? Or is it just a reflection of my area? I'll try tonight and hopefully have more locals playing.

SSfox and Rulakir like this.
  3. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Maybe it’s because you haven’t played in a decade

4. gl0ry

gl0ry Well-Known Member

The netcode doesn't feel like anything special to me. Some games run fine, others have noticeable delay. It seems pretty similar to the old netcode, give or take.

nou and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
  5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I did play the CPU five minutes before though...combos were working fine.

SSfox likes this.
  6. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Thank you
    Thank you for your honesty. A lot of people forget VF5 vanilla netcode was better than FS. In FS no matter how good the connection was between 2 people the character always felt heavier

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    beanboy and gl0ry like this.
  7. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    This is a good thread to have. We need to keep talking about the netcode in the future ro see if it stays consistent or not.

SSfox, cobratron and Jotamide like this.
  8. gl0ry

gl0ry Well-Known Member

Yeah man, honestly I think people are just really excited about the game and not being critical enough about the netcode. I'm surprised it is getting as much praise as it is. To me it's the same old story and every game has completely different delay. It's very noticeable when you're moving around in VF.

Once you try a really good rollback and there is literally no difference in delay against someone local and someone in Europe or Asia, then you get jaded with delay based games.

9. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Also possible people are having different experience with the netcode based on their location. I live in Ohio now and I've had very good online experience so far with maybe 3-4 matches that felt sluggish and 1 unplayable. But most were very good and close to my best experiences with Parsec.

Now I don't have rollback experience and I'm not doubting how good it can make online feel, but comparing to my Parsec and offline experience, the VF5:US netcode has been very good for me.

Zekiel and masterpo like this.
  10. nou

nou Well-Known Member

SSfox, Zekiel, gido and 2 others like this.
  11. gl0ry

gl0ry Well-Known Member

Hey Oioron, Monty, right? I think that was you, but it has been a long time, forgive me if I'm mistaken. My experience hasn't been bad so to speak, but the standards for netcode has changed a lot since VF5/FS days. Global competition is now possible with rollback if implemented well.

12. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Yup, that's me. It has been a long time. I took a long hiatus for career reasons and have been semi-unretired the past two years. Hope to see you around online or maybe in future offline events?

I have seen reports (twitter/twitch) of other people having bad experience, and those issues would probably be fixed if we have rollback. Here's to hoping we get it in a future patch or hopefully for VF6.

13. gl0ry

gl0ry Well-Known Member

Good to see you, I have not played VF since 2012 or 2013, but I am glad it has had a resurgence. Trying to get back into it now!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Oioron likes this.
  14. complexz

complexz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    mistercomplexz
    Hey long time no see vfdc!

I played my first few ranked matches in this one and I have to say they were the 2 laggiest matches I've ever played in vf5fs. Both matches full green bars no less... I hope I was just unlucky and got a few people on wireless or something.

I've seen so much footage of people having great matches in the last few days so I know there is still hope... but shit.

SPINMASTER X likes this.
  15. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Played about 50 matches str8 this morning. Only played one slightly laggy match.

Miles better than PS3. Feels like Parsec or better. Almost as good as XBL.

XBL is still the best imo. I'm really close to one of the Google relay servers though. I'm about a 15 min drive from Google headquarters!

Zekiel, Oioron and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
  16. Jotamide

Jotamide Well-Known Member

Chilean FGC is still doing some tests (not many people own PS4s with an active PS+ sub) so I'll post impressions from other regions as well. This is from the Middle East

Zekiel and OniwabanCL like this.
  17. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

nou, SSfox and Zekiel like this.
  18. OniwabanCL

OniwabanCL Member

I'm chilean and I hope to test some online connections tonight

jimi Claymore likes this.
  19. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

I'm in Ohio not to far from Cleveland. Netcode is good. I've played a few dozen or so matches had one laggy connection. The rest were very smooth. If I could just turn off the Hit Effects i'd be in total bliss.

20. DurViener

DurViener Well-Known Member

Apparently there's an issue with ranked match where the connection bars aren't displaying properly, it always shows green no matter what. It also pairs you with any region, which would explain why people are having laggy matches.

Rooms seem to be a pain to set up too. Hopefully Sega are aware of this and patch it quickly.

Shin ZAKIRA and Zekiel like this.