1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown Trailer

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 25, 2021.

By Myke on May 25, 2021 at 9:05 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Just when you thought it was safe knowing there was some kind of announcement happening on the 27th of May, followed by a couple of leaks that VF5US would be available for free via PlayStation Plus, IGN goes ahead and finishes off the 1-2 combination with an absolute uppercut of a trailer! Wait are you waiting for! Go watch it now!

More information here:
    https://www.ign.com/articles/virtua-fighter-5-remake-announcement-news

Highlights from article:
    • New background music for every stage
    • New user interface
    • New opening cinematic
    • New lighting and shaders using RGG's Dragon Engine
    • Spectate online matches in real-time
    • Ability to build robin-robin style online tournaments
    • The private and public lobby system will support up to 16 players
    • Include new communications tools like stamps

Release Information
    Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown will be available free on PlayStation Plus for the months of June and July, and also available on PlayStation Now in June.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Tiripsem, Meison, nou and 20 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 25, 2021.

1. smbhax
      smbhax
      That's definitely what it says on the scheduled YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_4kfIDD6AA

The US trailer says "Official Announcement" in its title, so it sort of seems like they jumped the gun of the JP announcement a little (maybe because the PS Blog thingy was coming out Wednesday, or because of the "free on PS+" rumor that had just started going around?). I guess we'll find out if this now slightly belated Japanese announcement reveals any more details, or if it's just the same trailer in Japanese.
      Carlos Lenz and SSfox like this.
    2. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      It seems like Sony paid the exclusive in the last minutes...

The Sony exclusive just make absolutely no sense with a project for the 60th Anniversary of SEGA.
    3. BeastEG
      BeastEG
      Was there any information on whether the net code would be improved or is it standard SEGA delay-based?
    4. VF2011
      VF2011

The difference is that when he made those earlier games he was at the forefront of game development and was able to make something new and different, but with Shenmue 3 he made a game so similar to Shenmue 2 that it felt like 20 years haven't passed. Now this is good if you want more of the same, but Shenmue was ground breaking when it was released while Shenmue 3 was not.

Shenmue 3 was slow, full of filler and gameplay mechanics that we have moved past in the time since the last game. Ultimately it is a game that does not respect the time of the player. I don't buy the budget argument because if he had less money then he should have made a smaller game. And don't get me started on how little happens story wise.

So do I think Suzuki could make a new VF that would feel modern and would keep up with the industry? No, I think he would make a game from 20 years ago, and games have changed a lot. I truly believe if we got a new VF created by Suzuki it would kill the franchise for good, just like Shenmue 3 killed the franchise for good.
      Zekiel likes this.
    5. VF2011
      VF2011
      It might be that they just have those images on all their pages by default so they can use whichever ones are necessary. Maybe someone can check on the page for another game?
      smbhax, Sonic The Fighters and SSfox like this.
    6. Superspacehero
      Superspacehero
      In a previous VF title, i think it was vf4, you hade the option to remove hit sparks. But in a later entry, vf4evo, the option was removed.

So was i was reflecting on the reason why the team at sega removed that option. My conclusion was that they were either comparing vf4 to tekken and other fighters and they tried to find the reason why tekken was more popular, or become they wanted to have hit effect in all areas of the game, even in tournaments, since lot of newbies who may like hit effects may watch tournaments, streams and other medias and be let down in case there is no hit effect.

Well, im just speculating, and i cant really tell how much of an impact hit effect has no the average joy. For me, i prefer without. And the reason why tekken may be more popular may be down to the the more flashy artstyle, and the huge rooster of characters, and flashy moves and combos as those are the only two things i find in common with tekken, soul calibur and street fighter. I havnt studied all three fighting games, but i think they have some hit flash effect as well, which goes hand in hand and is one component of flashy moveset.
      smbhax likes this.
    7. Cheribam_J
      Cheribam_J
      1. Customization is back AND we get the old VF1 models back! Nice!

2. I wonder (hoping for, anyway) if the item win poses from Final Showdown will be kept.

3. I'm perhaps overthinking it, but the character select screen, suspiciously, looks like it could easily include two more characters (next to Akira and next to Jacky) to make it appear complete. Could we start hoping for a surprise reveal of yet another set of newcomers?
      Last edited: May 27, 2021
      SSfox, Zekiel and gido like this.
    8. Emptyeyes
      Emptyeyes
      Hopefully, I can choose random select online, instead of shuffling through characters. I don't really have any mains in fighting games anymore. Besides, random select option preserves it's genre's life for me and get more out of the games I play no less.
    9. TexasLion
      TexasLion
      Graphics look really good. Better then I expected.
      KrsJin, SSfox, nou and 2 others like this.
    10. Ali
      Ali
      I loved what I have seen.

I loved how crispy the game looks. Sarah does feel better on today's presentation than on screen.

Loved the intro and how traditional it felt. Very VF-y.
      Loved how they kept the soundtrack directions.

Absolutely hated the character select screen and the theme. Very T7/DoA6.

F*CK Sony exclusivity
      nou, Zekiel and TexasLion like this.
    11. Ali
      Ali

I think Suzuki is a legendary developer who had no resources to do a sequel to a nich game. He ended up delivering the same nich game.

If Suzuki will do a new VF with AM2 then he will do amazing. If it's with the fellas he worked with on Shenmue 3 then no we are good.
      beanboy likes this.
    12. Zekiel
      Zekiel
      Wait they said customs?
    13. nou
      nou
      Game looks great! Liking the new tracks and interface, too. I'm glad this is only a week out, but it still feels like forever.
      Sonic The Fighters and Zekiel like this.
    14. Zekiel
      Zekiel
      The music sounds cool too
      Sonic The Fighters and nou like this.
    15. Cheribam_J
      Cheribam_J
      It was briefly shown during the first video they showed after the intro. Like two seconds, though, so for now, no words on any potential new content. But at least it's there.
      SSfox and Zekiel like this.
    16. VF2011
      VF2011
      After seeing this reveal I'm much more hopeful for the visual look of the game. The characters' faces still look off to me, but the UI doesn't look quite as bad and even the hit sparks aren't bothering me. Plus the visuals looked great in motion and very sharp. Regarding the hit sparks, yellow=regular, red=counter, blue=side.

I wonder if this means we will get future revisions of the game again with each bringing new characters? Or maybe even new characters as DLC since we know there will be costume DLC and as much as I hate DLC, the game will be free so I'm definitely going to be buying some costume packs.
    17. KrsJin
      KrsJin
      Man, I thought it looked great in real-time. Better quality than the IGN trailer for sure. Surprised how quickly some of visual changes felt familiar near the end of that exhibition.

So.Damn.Excited.
      Titantony, TexasLion and SSfox like this.
    18. Carlos Lenz
    19. Titantony
      Titantony
      https://youtu.be/g_4kfIDD6AA

Its around the 17:39min mark.. It shows the custom screen and a few items. Cats are sleeping on the gameplay here.. Looks good to me!
      Last edited: May 27, 2021
      Zekiel and KrsJin like this.
    20. Ali
      Ali
      This game is NOT free. It's offered for PSN plus for free for limited time then will be priced ?