1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown Trailer

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 25, 2021.

By Myke on May 25, 2021 at 9:05 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Just when you thought it was safe knowing there was some kind of announcement happening on the 27th of May, followed by a couple of leaks that VF5US would be available for free via PlayStation Plus, IGN goes ahead and finishes off the 1-2 combination with an absolute uppercut of a trailer! Wait are you waiting for! Go watch it now!

More information here:
    https://www.ign.com/articles/virtua-fighter-5-remake-announcement-news

Highlights from article:
    • New background music for every stage
    • New user interface
    • New opening cinematic
    • New lighting and shaders using RGG's Dragon Engine
    • Spectate online matches in real-time
    • Ability to build robin-robin style online tournaments
    • The private and public lobby system will support up to 16 players
    • Include new communications tools like stamps

Release Information
    Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown will be available free on PlayStation Plus for the months of June and July, and also available on PlayStation Now in June.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Tiripsem, Meison, nou and 20 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 25, 2021.

1. SSfox
      SSfox
      I noticed most characters looks close to their CG in-game. Sarah looked a bit weird in the trailer but maybe was the angle. And the trailer could be from an old build (It said work in progress)

I also won't mind some change in the lifebars design.
    2. Zekiel
      Zekiel
      They'll be more info Thursday. They should reveal more info then.
      SDS_Overfiend1 likes this.
    3. Shin ZAKIRA
      Shin ZAKIRA
      It’s been ages since I last posted here. Forgot my old password so I just created a new to avoid all the hustle.

Like many of you guys I’m excited for announcement and at the same time I have many concerns. I’ll give my opinion from being in the gaming industry in general and a 3D character artist in specific.

Some guys here liking what they’re seeing and some are disgruntled with the looks of the game. And this is pretty much understandable. So let me explain why (how) the game looks the way it looks now. What can be fixed and vise-versa.

First, the original game is over 15 years old if we put into account the time it took to develop. So many of the tools and techniques are outdated. ZBRUSH wasn’t wildly used at then and SoftimageXSI was still the main tool to develop on. Autodesk stopped support of XSI around 2015, so many Japanese companies moved to Maya as their main 3D tool. So if your hoping for a whole new models and animations, most likely not gonna happen, due to the fact of the character rigs and joints are outdated and the knowledge of using XSI is mostly lost. Unless you’re an old geezer that is. Which brings me to the next point.

Looking carefully at the character models, it’s clear that whomever worked on them probably 2~3 people, maximum. They didn’t build new models, they just sculpted on the originals and backed the normals and probably they added few vertices here and there to smooth the jagged edges. Although I somewhat know the reason for the to do so but still I was disappointed of the end result.
      beanboy and Carlos Lenz like this.
    4. faster 10 lightning
      faster 10 lightning
      The renders are pretty good, but looking at Dural one

"Dural character is not playable in this game"

The first victim of the so called esport :(
    5. SSfox
      SSfox
      Personally i'm glad Dural is no playable. One of the thing that I love most about VF is that it's grounded with realistic looking characters using real martial arts without being over-the-top. Making Dural playable would have break a bit this core aspect imo.
    6. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      I hope so much for Sarah that she has a better face because that was a bit shocking lol.

I don't know what is the problem with people for the lifebar ? I think it's good and modernized, it's a bit Yakuza style and it fit well for VF. It reminds me the one of GG Strive too.
      Zekiel and SSfox like this.
    7. Shoju
      Shoju
      I'm not that bothered about the way it looks, it's the gameplay that concerns me. If there not going to change anything it makes me wish they'd stopped at VF5R. R is touted as the best in the VF5 series and the one I most wanted to play but we never got it on consoles. This would've been a remaster of VF5R.
      Zekiel and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
    8. SSfox
      SSfox
      Lifebars looks a bit too basic imo, but it doesn't look ugly either.

But I will be quite annoyed if there won't be costumes options tho.
      Zekiel and Sonic The Fighters like this.
    9. SSfox
      SSfox
      I have never played VF5R, why some people say it's best vf5? What made it better than FS? I can say for sure that FS was huge improvement over vf5 vanilla in many ways.

You never know, vf5us may and will probably surpass vf5r and vf5fs for sure.
      Sonic The Fighters likes this.
    10. Ali
      Ali
      The lifebars look kinda generic, basic and low quality. VF always had, in addition to high end graphical quality, top quality UI that feels leaps ahead of competition. If you looked at VF4- onward life bars you will understand.

VF5R's UI was top notch... Look at the life bars of that game to understand what we mean.
      These things tend to grow on you. I'd not be surprised if people call for these lifebars whenever a higher end one ends up being shown for whatever next VF project. People tend to un-hate and change their minds about a lot of things.
      Zekiel and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
    11. Shoju
      Shoju
      The old throw system and movement system were much more interesting. You can't even back crouch dash cancel in FS. I also personally liked the idea of throw attack clash which used to be there even if it may have needed a bit more refining.
    12. faster 10 lightning
      faster 10 lightning
      I don't know, nowadays it seems that "fun is not allowed" in fighting games, thanks to esport.
      Dural was very fun to play even in VF5 vanilla, especially to wind down after more serious VS matches.

The single player content is already barebones in VF5US, if you get rid also of the classic unlockable Dural what remains?
      beanboy and SSfox like this.
    13. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      I never really liked the VF5FS lifebar so...

I always tought it looked weird and dated.
      Tricky likes this.
    14. SSfox
      SSfox
      If they make her kind of Mokujin or eleven without the broken stuffs I don't mind her much. Or if they keep her broken they can make her playable is solo modes, like Inferno in sc6.
    15. SSfox
      SSfox
      I see, can't speak really as I haven't play R but if it was this good and a lot of players like it this much, they may bring back some of its unique aspects in US maybe?
    16. Ali
      Ali
      Yes I believe you.

People will have different opinion about things. People say the new life bars are cheap... I don't think of them this way personally. I prefer the older more sophisticated ones, but they are fine
      Sonic The Fighters likes this.
    17. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      VF1 VF2 VF3 lifebars were simple af.

VF5 lifebars are just VF4 lifebars again with that art style from the 2000's, so i'm ok for some change and evolving a bit.

Why no one didn't shit at all on GG Strive lifebars ? It's kinda the same style of lifebars...
      Tricky and SUGATA like this.
    18. VF2011
      VF2011

Thanks for the link, those images do look better and even the screenshots look nicer than what we saw in the video. I'm not sure why they would put out a video that looked so bad, but after seeing these images I'm going to be hopeful that it will look better than what we've seen so far.
      Zekiel, Sonic The Fighters and SSfox like this.
    19. nou
      nou

The infinites are awesome in it, lol. It's a game that didn't release anywhere outside of Japanese arcades, so it'll maintain mythical status based on that and it helps people trying to gatekeep the series.

I'm ready for next week. I'm hoping for rollback. Game is looking nice and I want to see more. Excited to hear the music, too!
      smbhax, Sonic The Fighters and SSfox like this.
    20. Feck
      Feck
      Pointless to remake FS, but seeing as they have it's especially pointless to not release it on modern consoles and P.C.

Looks like it was developed by interns :/