1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown Trailer

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 25, 2021.

By Myke on May 25, 2021 at 9:05 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Just when you thought it was safe knowing there was some kind of announcement happening on the 27th of May, followed by a couple of leaks that VF5US would be available for free via PlayStation Plus, IGN goes ahead and finishes off the 1-2 combination with an absolute uppercut of a trailer! Wait are you waiting for! Go watch it now!

More information here:
    https://www.ign.com/articles/virtua-fighter-5-remake-announcement-news

Highlights from article:
    • New background music for every stage
    • New user interface
    • New opening cinematic
    • New lighting and shaders using RGG's Dragon Engine
    • Spectate online matches in real-time
    • Ability to build robin-robin style online tournaments
    • The private and public lobby system will support up to 16 players
    • Include new communications tools like stamps

Release Information
    Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown will be available free on PlayStation Plus for the months of June and July, and also available on PlayStation Now in June.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Tiripsem, Meison, nou and 20 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 25, 2021.

1. SUGATA
      SUGATA
      It is very strange that the same HUD interface in the upcoming 2021 GG Drive was not called "complete shit" and in the new VF, where an obvious reference to retro is suddenly called, and often those who are not familiar with VF at all and are not close... double standards they are so lol.
      [​IMG]

For the especially gifted who are not familiar with the series, I repeat-VF _one total number_ has never changed the graphics and character design in the entire history (just special effects do not count). Therefore , it is just strange to see that the new REVISION of the 5th part is made on a new graphics engine and a redesign of characters! Learn matchmaking. Fans were expecting max upscale and HD textures, so for them the game just exceeded expectations.
      And this is NOT VF6, which is probably already in development and will be on the new generation (PS5)on a new engine with super graphics and, as always, it was previously shut up all competitors. Ipr)

And as for the alleged "absence" of rollback codes, singles, quest mods, etc., the fact that this is not shown in the 1 min trailer, as if it never means that this is no longer there or will not be in the dlc.
      Tricky and Sonic The Fighters like this.
    2. celsowm
      celsowm
      By the way:
      [​IMG]
      KrsJin and SSfox like this.
    3. SSfox
      SSfox
      Please don't fuck up the netcode Sega.
    4. Shin ZAKIRA
      Shin ZAKIRA
      Continuing from my last post,

There is a huge inconsistency of how the characters look. Some looks good (Lei-Fei & Vanessa), some didn’t change much (Brad & Goh) and some downright weird and ugly (Akira & Pai). It feels like there is no one in charge of supervising the designs.

Now to be honest I’m not a big fan of VF5 character’s art style. Their bodies feel like a lump of wood. No interesting shapes in their silhouettes. Faces looks somewhat generic. And so does their facial animations. It is a downgrade from VF4’s amazing visuals.

Having said that I wished the artists of Yakuza just took the pre-rendered models of VF5 and just corrected some of the anatomical issues while adding some minor tweaks to the models to left their shape and resolution up. And this can be done even after launch. It’s not difficult task.
      gido and smbhax like this.
    5. Shin ZAKIRA
      Shin ZAKIRA
      Lastly,

Put in mind that VF5US is just an appetizer for what to come. SEGA are actually working on VF6. And is helmed by Yu Suzuki himself. And most likely it’s gonna be released 2023 celebrating VF’s 30th anniversary.

For the first time in decades SEGA being smart (although their are still dumb at the same time) and making a good decision by releasing VF5US for free. This way people will at least try and download it and see what the fuss about. Not everyone wants to play the game but some people might just want to watch its tournaments. This will garner revenue from viewers.

I have a friend who although not interested in playing VF, he loves watching the tournaments and the hype behind it. Many people watch football but the majority of them don’t play it. So the VF x esport mentality is mostly like this for the time being.

So what we should do to make the game that we all love succeed?

Get the game (it’s basically for free). Keep playing it all while praising or politely complaining in the right Social Media channels. Hell, start with the upcoming official VF YouTube announcement. Even if it’s in Japanese. Show your enthusiasm. Voice out your opinion and concerns but be polite and stay away from negativity. Words like (No X= No Buy) just show developers that you’re not really interested in their game. Thus they’ll disregard you. Be positive even when you don’t like what you see.
      gido, Superspacehero and b4k4 like this.
    6. Superspacehero
      Superspacehero
      From the available information so far, i just want to point out that the netcode isnt confirmed. PS4 has generally better netcode than ps3 so that is a good point.

We will se a surge in new players and perhaps sparked interest, which is good.

All the facial modes were better except sarahs ingame face that looks too manly, and akiras nose need improving. Aois was great. She really look lilke a japanese woman which was the original purpose. Vanessa look great, and looks less generic and more like a filipino, south american. Lei fei look harscher, like he have undergone lot of hard exersize. Lion looks more muscular with less body fat, which suits him as he look cooler. Jacky looks more human and less generic. Jean and goh looks more japanese style in a good and cooler way. Lau looks markedly more older and therefore a bit weaker. Taka look more slim which i think is a good thing. The cast generally looks older, and shun looks more fragile as well.

I hope they implement the option to turn off hit effect.

Spectator viewing matches is great. Big big improvement that will increase the enjoyment for us idling in ranking for ages.

Im not sure whether they had the effort to remodel all the customize packs. Its a bit sad if they are gone.

The game looks too dark. I hope they update it and improve the lightning.

The ui is a joke, but luckily, it isnt game breaking part of the game, and it could have been worse if they were using some silly frame like pink roses or something.

In general im staying positive, as this game may be free, and we shouldnt expect more from a franchise that is almost on the verge of dying, and it may be used as a tool to gauge interest.
      Carlos Lenz likes this.
    7. b4k4
      b4k4
      This is exactly the point I was making with my earlier post.

New users are about to flood VFDC in a bigger wave than this site has seen in years. Possibly ever.

The sentiment of legacy players matters a lot to impressionable new players. If vets are calling it trash, we're shooting the scene in the foot right out of the gate. People will read those comments and think "oh word, back to DBFZ then lol." The game isn't trash - it can't be, because it's VF. It will have flaws, like every other FG ever, and we need to embrace what's good, tolerate what's bad, and show Sega our enthusiasm for the series while also letting them know which design choices aren't working, and what features we want to see implemented.

[​IMG]
    8. Krish
      Krish
      Awesome to hear Yu Suzuki working on VF6 ? Hope this really will come true.
    9. Attorney4Hire
      Attorney4Hire
      As someone who's been playing FS on Playstation Now (whatever it's called), this is a very welcome addition! Not the game we all wanted, but improved visuals were desperately needed...the PSNow version is so blurry even on a PS5 and it's very hard to find a match.

I will be sad if there are no customization options though. Say what you want but it's very important in today's fighting games. If they give me the game for free I guess I would pay for the costume options that we already had in the past. I'm just happy and hopeful that this will breathe new life into my/our favorite fighting game franchise.
    10. Ali
      Ali

The reaction from the non die hard VF players is very positive. Twitter is flooded with positive comments. People are loving the graphics, the sparks and the designs (usually lauded for being generic and boring).

If you go to Tekken fan sites, MK fan sites and SF fan site, you will read tons of critical and negative comments about any new game. That never killed a series. Those are healthy criticisms. When a series reaches a certain number of games, fans start to have favorite and they start to point on what they are missing.

I don't think this looks cheap. I don't think this was developed by interns. I have things I don't like about it the same way I do with VF5FS and the same way I thought VF4 had better facial graphics than VF5. I will probably play the sh*t outta this game forever just like how I do VF4-VF5FS.
      Attorney4Hire likes this.
    11. gl0ry
      gl0ry
      Pretty much everyone dislikes the GG Strive HUD, so I'm not sure where you are hearing differently. They've made several adjustments to it (the one you linked seems like a very early revision) and people still hate on it to this day.

The biggest difference is that Strive is a completely brand new game so people are trying to be more open with changes, where as VF5:US is a port or remaster of sorts and people were hoping for more substantial things rather than a graphical update. This is to be determined once the game is released, but from what has been made apparent, it seems like a PS4 exclusive without an improvement in their netcode.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. VF huds have always been clean and simple. The new one is definitely my least favorite so far.

On the note of negativity, some can see the complaints or criticism as such, but I believe it's justified and this type of feedback is what can help grow the series. I appreciate the love and remaster of the game, but if they aren't going to do it properly then I will say something.

GG Strive was delayed a year because of the pressure put on them in regards to the netcode.. and they decided to listen to the players. Strive (Beta) now has the best netcode out of any fighting game I've ever tried.
      SDS_Overfiend1, smbhax and Zekiel like this.
    12. Ali
      Ali
      I don't understand the impression that the netcode will be the same as VF5FS and that it will be bad....

This was made on a different engine all together... PS4 usually have good netcodes (especially later 1/2 of it's cycle). I will wait to try it first before I jump into conclusions.

Remember VF5FS was fully functional and had better netcodes when Tekken, MK, Injustice and even SF were struggling at a period when netcodes where sh*t.

Some faith won't kill.
      beanboy likes this.
    13. gl0ry
      gl0ry
      That isn't true. If that were the case people wouldn't be playing it on Parsec. The reason why it was tolerable is because VF has such a forgiving buffer system that even in lag you can punish.
      Shag and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
    14. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      You never played it.
      I have... what makes its better than FS. Its a speed up version of Vanilla with a hint of FS with the original classic VF structure. Grapplers have 6 throw directions still. MTE is Valid af, Jeff and Wolf are S-Tier because of their Strength, height and skill. You can’t keep fishing for launchers. Clash system was a thing of beauty, Step movement was more free with more directions, It’s just the better game. That just the minimum.
    15. b4k4
      b4k4
      As a Jeffry player I do miss the old throw system making grapplers more threatening. That said, the current system is probably much better for intuitive adoption by new players. I took me forever to make my hands stop doing MTEs in FS while my brain was catching up...
    16. Ali
      Ali
      It's true. Even reviewers at the time gave it high remarks on the basis of good netcode.

People play on Parsec cause they don't have a pool on console.
      Tricky likes this.
    17. Zekiel
      Zekiel
      Not to mention the showcase tomorrow should show more of what the game us about right? We should see changes if any
    18. Zekiel
      Zekiel
      Exactly... if there's nothing new gameplay wise then what's the point? Played FS 9 years ago in 2012.

They gotta bring something fresh. If not I doubt I'll even care to play it for long.
    19. Junosynth
      Junosynth
      I for one didn't play VF5FS as long as I should have (Just a few months really) so I will be playing this for awhile this time. Cannot wait!

Is this something that is confirmed?

I did find this interview where he mentions "Looking back at competitive fighting games"
      Are you referring to this?

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2020/12/yu-suzukis-plans-for-2021-shooting-rpg.html
      Mackfactor, Zekiel and smbhax like this.
    20. Zekiel
      Zekiel
      Source?
      smbhax likes this.