1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Apr 2, 2021.

By Myke on Apr 2, 2021 at 6:20 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The game title of "Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown" has just been rated by the Game Rating and Administration Committee of Korea for the PS4 platform, and, interestingly, the rating lists "Virtua Fighter esports" as the original title. With recent news of the PS3 store shutting down, and no current, stand-alone way to play VF5FS on a PlayStation 4 or 5 console, could this be SEGA's move to kill two birds with one stone? Officially bring the latest title in some kind of updated "ultimate" form into the esports scene, and playable on a modern console?

Virtua Fighter x esports.jpg

Junosynth, cobratron, Coroo and 9 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Apr 2, 2021.

1. SSfox
      SSfox
      It's not about underestimating stuffs, we have legit 0 official information about the game from Sega, obviously anyone here would want it to feel super fresh and new (and mean why somebody would like to have the same game with different name), but it's simply much better to while speculate about things and stuffs you want, but also keep everything with grain of salt, because again, there is literally no official information about the game, even the subtitle of the game is actually a leak and not communicated by Sega officially.
      Last edited: May 14, 2021
    2. Ali
      Ali
      Well it's a fan site, you don't commit years of your life on a fan site and then expect to read no fanboy-ish wishlists.

Of course this game could turn into an even inferior port of VF5FS, but honestly SEGA of 2021 is better than SEGA of 2010...
      Zekiel and beanboy like this.
    3. Carlos Lenz
      Carlos Lenz
      I think this game is related to SEGA leaving the Japanese arcade business. They have earned a good amount of money with VF in the Arcades there but the pandemic could reduce it substantially. So maybe just trying to attract the JP market may be enough for them.

So I don't think they will invest a lot of money in the new game (otherwise it would be called VF6) nor will it have much new content (otherwise they wouldn't keep "showdown" in the name in the West). Given that the Japanese name contains eSports, at least the new game should support different tournament modes like Mikado does.

Another point that I expect they'll invest on is costumes, as a way to add additional revenue. To replace the money they were getting from arcades they need to add new content on a regular basis and that's one option.

Another traditional option is DLC chars + season passes. I don't think even SEGA is crazy enough to charge 60 or even 40 USD for only some of 19 chars in VF5FS, even if they update the models and add half a dozen new moves to each one (like some are fearing). So I think the old roster should be available for the initial price, including costumes 1 & 2 only. But I wouldn't expect more than 3 chars in each season (in a good year).

My last guess is that they might charge tournament registration fees in the eSports/JP version, to make up for the prizes and make some additional income as well. Maybe there'll be a built-in spectator mode as well, including commentators and advertisement. Since they are not as confident they can pull this off in the West, the name is different.

And now the worse part: it might not have proper rollback netcode if they decide to invest mainly in JP.
    4. Ali
      Ali
      F*CK roll back netcode. I am tired of how.overrated it is.... It drives me insane when people are like "oh this better have rollback netcode or I am not buying" when they can only do a single combo and they have a 1 bar wifi connection.

@Carlos I am definitely not referring to buddy. Just tired of this.
      Zekiel and beanboy like this.
    5. Carlos Lenz
      Carlos Lenz
      No problem, I just thought I should comment about that as well since so many want it.

Personally I'll buy the game if I get at least what I have mentioned (same chars, 2 costumes each) and slightly updated graphics for up to 40 USD. Specially if it's clear that they'll keep supporting the game. I have FS but my PS3 doesn't boot anymore so I need a new copy. A PC version where I won't have the same kind of problem again would be the ideal.

Living in Brazil it would be much better with rollback netcode since the player base probably won't be enough to find someone near me. But it's not a deal-breaker.

Now regarding wifi: let's hope there's no switch version or no cross-play then. :LOL:
      Last edited: May 14, 2021
    6. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      Imagine if SEGA doesn't give any news about VF at E3 lol...

And waiting again until TGS 2021 :holla:
      Zekiel, Coroo and beanboy like this.
    7. beanboy
      beanboy
      Dude......:eek:
      Zekiel and Sonic The Fighters like this.
    8. Manjimaru
      Manjimaru
      Zekiel, Sonic The Fighters and Coroo like this.
    9. Ali
      Ali
      Good.

Going out of the financial abomination that is the arcade would only lead to more games as SEGA won't have to operate those.

Welcome back AM2.
    10. SSfox
      SSfox
      Sega mentioned VF with their mouth, i'm shocked.
      Zekiel, Sonic The Fighters and Coroo like this.
    11. Carlos Lenz
      Carlos Lenz
      Unluckily for VF and other franchises, SEGA's brand management can be as bad as their business plans :cry:. They produced many gems over the years, only to smash them into pieces.

Those 2 areas (brand & business plan) are very important for an eSports version of VF. I believe they should let AM2 handle the development as usual but hire an outside company to help in those areas.
      Zekiel and Sonic The Fighters like this.
    12. Tha_FeauchA
      Tha_FeauchA
      1. Easier and faster way to save and/or watch your own replays.

For how old VF5FS is. This game does have a pretty good replay bank system (I guess you could call it) where people can upload their replays and we can watch them. Even sort by character. On top of that, we have the options to have Input display, frame display and command display on during replays. I have a lot of hours in this game and only now realized how good it is, now that I'm trying to remember some frame data. For the most part, I've just been winging all those years, lol. We just need to be able to save our own replays more efficiently.

2. I'm not too sure, but. I feel like some movement options were taken away when going from 5 to 5FS. Be nice to have those back. Unless I'm tripping and it's all still there. The way you can move around in VF is part of what makes me like the game so much. I have a blast just simply playing it. Wether I'm winning or not. FS still feels cool. The older stuff (that I know of) just felt a little better.

3. Getting Akira's wall throw back would be cool.

4. Adding/bringing back throws. Either by giving inputs like 464, 446, etc. Or bring diagonals back, yet still able to escape them with 4 or 6p+g respectively to keep the throw escape system.

I think the current throw escape system is pretty good and makes for more exciting matches since the chance to escape is 1 in 3. So it's not as rare. However, I feel lazy TE can be too advantageous on defense. So, seeing that gone would be cool. Bringing the old throw escape system back wouldn't bother me either.

5. Saving my dojo settings would be nice.

6. Training mode while searching for a match.
      Last edited: May 15, 2021
      MarlyJay, beanboy and Zekiel like this.
    13. Tha_FeauchA
      Tha_FeauchA
      Oh yeah. I'd love to be able to hop in and out of training mode and choosing to spectate while in a room and a match is going on.

4 player rooms is my limit, and it'd be nice to stay warm in between matches. Sometimes I get cold, next match lost in under 2 minutes and I'm like 'fack'. Lol. Big rooms are a double edged sword for me. Cool a lot of people are playing, but I'm not waiting 10-15 minutes after each L. I'm trying to do more playing than watching. And winning more often isn't an option, lol. I just wanna bust some moves on the dance floor.
      Last edited: May 15, 2021
      beanboy, SSfox and Zekiel like this.
    14. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      Would 4 player rooms still be your limit if multiple matches could happen in the same room?

My dream with training mode is the feature added to GGAC+R. You can view a replay and just take control of either character at any point to test things out.
      Tha_FeauchA likes this.
    15. Tha_FeauchA
      Tha_FeauchA
      I was actually going to say that, but realized I was in line with the ranked lobby. But, definitely a good idea, bro. To be able to turn a room into something similar to how the ranked match lobby functions in this game. And able to put your name to the side/uncheck it (etc.) if you need to step away.

That replay system sounds sick. I don't know why I feel video replay will help me remember frames. But I do. I think it's the laziness in me, lol. Instead of creating the situation, I can just kick back and watch it (Which reminds me to add pause, rewind and fast forward for replays). What I'm interested in/really after is other characters frame data, mostly on block. I'm just not motivated enough to go into training mode with em all, lol. But. That's what it takes, and that knowledge separates players. That stuff messes with ya when you block something and you don't know wtf to do after, lol. Or if you even can do anything.
    16. erdraug
      erdraug
      At the risk of becoming repetitive:

Having an option to make the frame data appear in a player/lobby match would replace learning while watching replays (passive learning) with learning while playing (active learning, which is more engaging and thus a more efficient way to internalize said frame data).

Make it optional and have it only work if both players enable it, in order to address any fairness/purity concerns.
      Last edited: May 18, 2021
    17. Tha_FeauchA
      Tha_FeauchA
      Solid idea. As of now, I think the only to play with two players with frame data on the screen is offline in the dojo. Would be cool to have a online training mode like that.

I'd like being able to see the frame data while spectating/waiting for my turn in a room, too. That way it would separate the two modes. If one wants the data while playing, they can use online training mode.
    18. Tha_FeauchA
      Tha_FeauchA
      Ah. Another good one would be to choose the music for each stage.

And/or the option to put it on random so it can pick the music anywhere from VF1 to the latest every time a stage is played.
      MadeManG74 likes this.
    19. Ali
      Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2021
      KrsJin, Sozos, Shinobi and 4 others like this.
    20. Emptyeyes
      Emptyeyes
      Sonic The Fighters likes this.