1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Apr 2, 2021.

By Myke on Apr 2, 2021 at 6:20 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The game title of "Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown" has just been rated by the Game Rating and Administration Committee of Korea for the PS4 platform, and, interestingly, the rating lists "Virtua Fighter esports" as the original title. With recent news of the PS3 store shutting down, and no current, stand-alone way to play VF5FS on a PlayStation 4 or 5 console, could this be SEGA's move to kill two birds with one stone? Officially bring the latest title in some kind of updated "ultimate" form into the esports scene, and playable on a modern console?

Virtua Fighter x esports.jpg

Junosynth, cobratron, Coroo and 9 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Apr 2, 2021.

1. JSM
      JSM
      Easy to please, if it's a straight port, awesome.
      My only "requirements": inputDelay <= FS on PS3/360 and game outputs native 1080p @ 60fps.
    2. beanboy
      beanboy
      I hope alot of this info reported is true.

If they are calling it Ultimate Showdown, I like many others, are expecting a game, that is better than VF5 Final Showdown. And hopefully, all of the moves, throws, and mechanics that were strangely taken out, are back in the new interation of the game.
      Zekiel likes this.
    3. Manjimaru
      Manjimaru
      The modern console versions will be CONSIDERABLY easier to port to PC compared to PS3. The new consoles are essentially already little PCs.

If this game becomes a reality by some miracle, chances are good it will also arrive to PC. The covid time brought forth a massive increase in PC gaming, and one can hope that the developers will see that as an opportunity.
      Zekiel and Myke like this.
    4. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      "E-Sports" = Dumbed down.

Since sony bought EVO. If this game is Playstation 4 exclusive.. Im not touching it. I won't support segregation in a game that does'nt have a lot of players to begin with. Sorry if i offended any playstation lovers. My Bad but damn that.
      beanboy likes this.
    5. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      eSports is a silly term, but I don't think it's going to have much impact on this game. It feels like it's just a buzzword that someone in Japan tried to latch onto. Don't forget we had Puyo Esports that just became Puyo Champions in the west.
      beanboy and Zekiel like this.
    6. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      “As its original Japanese name implies, this game is aimed at esports and thus focuses on competitive multiplayer, so it lacks the single player campaign prominently featured in the previous games.”

a description of Puyo Puyo champions. So... it’s safe to assume they might just add a new tournament mode to the options
    7. Myke
      Myke
      I think what a lot of people completely missed with the original "esports" announcement back in September last year is that it's more than just a buzzword in Japan. It's an official license that a game title holds enabling players to turn "professional" (that is, be sponsored) as well as permitting tournaments to pay out prize money.

Previously, gaming tournaments that awarded prize money was considered a form of gambling, and hence was forbidden in Japan.

The fact that SEGA have announced VF x esports shows a massive intent to bring the franchise into the pro circuit, and is not to be understated. A lot of clues can be gleaned from Puyo Puyo esports, which suggests that the recently leaked "Ultimate Showdown" might be the rebranding and modernisation of VF5 "Final Showdown" that enters the esports circuit.
      Zekiel, MadeManG74, Chanchai and 3 others like this.
    8. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      SEGA takes F O R E V E R ... and also SEGA marketing is terrible.

In 2 months, it is the 30 years of Sonic looooool, i mean WTF ??????

Are they gonna talk about their next big games and make some logical or good marketing to sell them one day or what/not ?

SEGA acts like they are some struggling ID devs.

Their next PSO is totally a new and different game, but they called it PSO2 again, it just makes no sense.

"Stay tuned" 7 months later, absolutely "0" talk about VF from SEGA.
    9. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      “Modernization”

That’s what I’m afraid of. From Vanilla to FS the community dwindled cause a lot of players couldn’t deal with change. The question remains. What is Sega willing to do and spend to appeal to E-Sports community while trying to please the current community? How much will they simplify from the original product? That was my main interest when they announced this back in September. I refuse to get hype off speculation. It’s been 9 years.... I need to see action and progress. I don’t trust Sega at all.
      Sozos, beanboy, Zekiel and 1 other person like this.
    10. Ali
      Ali
      I wouldn't call FS a simplified VF 5 Vanilla. It plays different amidst hardcore fans for sure, but the input still does need skills and timing as before.
      The fan base dwindled because of SEGA's marketing and lack of support in addition to lack of updates/games. I think it's a miracle that we have this site that remained active (or semi active) to get us together.

I expect VF5US to have different layouts, new clchanges to mechanics, improved graphics and new soundtracks in addition to improved online play. If this game managed to get new people or old people back online then it did what it needed to and I just hope that SEGA get it and learn a trick or two from Tekken's PR.

People are drawn to PR, engaging twitter accounts much more than they are to "actually great" games.

Oh and I totally agree, it's tremendously ridiculous that we haven't gotten no piece of news since September announcement.
      Zekiel likes this.
    11. VF2011
      VF2011
      Sega is currently working on a sonic colours remake which might be their anniversary game. We most likely won't get any info until this Summer though. And my guess is that the vf x esports game is so early in development that they don't have anything to show off.
    12. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      Simplified Vanilla. All due respect. Fans left... Even some of the most hardcore VF5 vanilla players left months after Final showdown released. I’m not trying to tell you that your are wrong. I’m just speaking from my experience. Lazy TE, Less throw directions, Movesets Stripped, Combo timings no longer strict, No more neutral clash, No more Elbow stagger on crouch opponents, Simplified stepping directions.. etc. even with all of that...... New players were far and few. If Sega wants to rebrand this game for competitive reason and to make it appeal. It will have to be stripped further to be more accessible to professional gamers. The ones who sell the streams and views. More players, more views more donations. It’s all a business. The joy been out the door with fighting games
      beanboy likes this.
    13. Ali
      Ali
      Don't get me wrong, I am totally against simplifying mechanics and I happen to prefer VF4/Evo/VF5 Vanilla over FS, but I deal with FS as a changed mechanics rather than simplified (think VF4 FT vs Evo vs Vanilla VF4).

I don't think the fans left because VF5FS was bad..in my opinion it's an amazing game. They left because it took a while to get ported and we had a budget release followed by complete silence and abandonment.

People leave if the game doesnt get regular updates or if there is no communication on social sites.

I don't disagree with you... I don't trust main steamers and current competitive scene. I don't agree with the devs' attitude at all...but I can't say VF5FS is a bad game when in fact it plays better than everything released after it.

The series needs a good community manager/PR as much as it needs a new game.
      Sozos, beanboy, Zekiel and 3 others like this.
    14. Ali
      Ali
      Double post:
      If I can come across a VF4/Evo + VF5 arcade machine, then I'd be set for life. Unfortunately, I have been offered a VF4 arcade in good shape for 300 dollars that I couldn't afford ages ago ... If only..... Oh well
    15. VF2011
      VF2011
      Most of the things you mentioned add nothing to the game, but create a difficult barrier of entry for new players. Having less throw escape directions and less strict timing on combos don't hurt the game at all. How does having the game be harder to play make it a better game? Take Akira's knee for example, why make a move so hard to execute? The moves should be easy to use so the game becomes about the player skill and not about perfect timing.

It all comes down to personal preference, but I think FS is the better game, better than any other vf game. And more importantly it looks the best when watching which will be very important to sell it as an esports title. I wouldn't even be surprised if Sega added more flash to the game for a rerelease, something like Tekken's explosions when you hit an opponent so it looks appealing to new players, though I would hope there would be a way to turn that off.
    16. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      ‍♂️ You really have no clue.
      Manjimaru and beanboy like this.
    17. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      Didn't they say they would start marketing and show some stuff every months 1 year before the new Sonic game release ?????? Only 2 months left until the 30th Anniversary LOL !

And who care and asked for a Sonic Colours remake ????? WTF is this bullshit again ?

Show some pictures, give a date, tell us the platforms, some details and news/informations, anything...

Even some music or concept arts. We don't know absolutely anything 7 months ? 8 months ? 1 year later ? How long ?

Outside of the die hard fans, everybody already forgot about VF x Esports, and the hype is already over.

"Stay tuned"
      Sozos, Zekiel and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
    18. Ali
      Ali
      I agree with you fully.

At this rate Tekken 8 will be announced and w will get nothing.

I am not a big fan of Tekken (played it mainly as a kid) but the way Harada handles the hype train is so amazing that I just purchased 7 and I hope I like it.

I was really sold when I saw Harada participate in the tournament...
      Zekiel and Sonic The Fighters like this.
    19. VF2011
      VF2011
      Sonic colours is most likely a quick remake since they have nothing else to show off. Sonic forces was a huge failure and Sega said at the time that they would be taking a more careful approach with their sonic games going forward. And forces was a failure despite taking 6 years to produce so I don't think we'll be getting a new game anytime soon.

As for VF, the original announcement did mention it would be Japan first, so only receiving an update at the TGS is the most likely option. With the pandemic still slowing down production they most likely don't want to start marketing until they have a fixed release window.
      Zekiel likes this.
    20. VF2011
      VF2011
      So let's say you're put in charge of Vf, how do you bring it back and make it popular? It sounds like you just want the franchise to go back to how you like it, which is fair, that is what we all want, but VF was never more than a niche game in a niche genre, so how do you make it successful as an esports title?

I believe the game can only be successful with an easy level of entry, but depth to master it and they need to add some flash to it. Too often you hear people complain that the characters look boring, or the gameplay looks boring, or they are intimidated by the perceived difficulty so these are things that need to be overcome.

To put things into perspective, Tekken 7 sales=7 million, entire VF franchise sales=5.4 million. Clearly something isn't working and I don't believe losing the current combo system and other changes in FS will help attract new players.
      Zekiel likes this.