1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 5 Update

Discussion in 'General' started by Jeffahn, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Jeffahn

Jeffahn Well-Known Member

Virtua Fighter 5 Update
    A new character, plus some gameplay details.
    by Virtua Fighter 5 Update

October 26, 2005 - Following its unveiling at the August Amusement Machine Show, Sega went quiet on Virtua Fighter 5, putting games like House of the Dead 4 and Psy-Phi on test while leaving the Lindbergh arcade board's killer app locked away in its corporate offices. The details are slowly starting to come out, though, with this week's Famitsu shedding new light on the game's characters and gameplay.

The magazine shares first details on one of the two new characters to be featured in VF5. The masked wrestler character from the Amusement Machine Show trailer is called El Blaze and he uses the Lucha Libre fighting style (also performed in Dead or Alive 4... by a similarly masked character). El Blaze uses acrobatic movements and throws to fight his opponents. Story-wise, there appears to be a connection between El Blaze and Wolf.

Gameplay details are still being kept under wraps, but the Famitsu story does reveal that we can expect a few new gameplay systems. One new system is hinted at by some of El Blaze's moves, which allow the wrestler to leap over and beyond downed opponents.

Don't worry about your favorite fighting game being tinkered with by inexperienced designers -- VF5 is being developed by veteran AM2 staffers. Serving as "game director" is Daichi Katagiri, who's been with the series since the start. The title's "overall director" is Makoto Osaki, who's worked on the development of Daytona USA and various other racing titles out of Sega.

The creators reveal that Virtua Fighter 5 will not feature Online fights. While it's technically possible, they feel that doing so would create something other than Virtua Fighter. Instead of allowing for direct fights, they hope to build upon the network functionality featured in VF4, allowing for greater player communication and building up a strong community.

Specifics on a few of VF5's new gameplay systems will be revealed soon, so VF fans, stay tuned to IGN.

Source

2. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jeffahn/Famitsu said:

The masked wrestler character from the Amusement Machine Show trailer is called El Blaze...

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? That's not a name. VF characters have first and last names. If they follow the same conventions I see in previous VF's, are there going to be fights titled "Pai vs. El" ?! Bah.

3. Jeffahn

[ QUOTE ]
    Plague said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeffahn/Famitsu said:

The masked wrestler character from the Amusement Machine Show trailer is called El Blaze...

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? That's not a name. VF characters have first and last names. If they follow the same conventions I see in previous VF's, are there going to be fights titled "Pai vs. El" ?! Bah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently he says: "I think I'm gonna stop stealing hubcaps!", when he wins.

4. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

i dunno it fits in tune with
    WOLF HAWKfield and
    jeffry mcWILD not to mention
    brad BURNS!

el BLAZE to the max!!

its also interesting how the developers take the "community aspect" of the game into development consideration.

5. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    yeah, the Japanese community...

Talis, you just have to be like Method Man and proclaim: "Blaze in the cut!"

Bryan

6. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Listen, sega has made it painfully obvious they care about Japan and the ugly step-sister known as Korea. If they cared about the global community they would invest the time and money into developing a solid online fighting ability for the game.

7. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

I hope this new character dosen't play like that guy from T5, I can't quite remember his name; Blade it was I think, you know that guy that resembles Wesley Snipes in the Blade series. I hope that he dosen't just jump in the air, dissapear, and then re-appear out of nowhere and beat the sh*t out of you with crazy arial combos.

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Why should "Sega" care about the global community when it doesn't care back? You think the 100 or so users on this site can impact a business decision? It has always been clear that players outside of Japan won't get the same level of service, and we probably never will. If it bothers you so much that Sega aren't doing things the way you want, then why are you still around? Fuck off already and leave the rest of us in peace.

Online VF would cease to be "VF". Shadowdean may enjoy randomness in his game (to make up for his own shortcomings), but hardcore VF players won't. It may end up being fun for different reasons, but it won't be as the original game was intended.

And, I'm not sure how Koreans would take to Shadowdean's comment about their country being Japan's "ugly step sister".

9. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    [ QUOTE ]
    Akira_PH said:

I hope this new character dosen't play like that guy from T5, I can't quite remember his name; Blade it was I think, you know that guy that resembles Wesley Snipes in the Blade series. I hope that he dosen't just jump in the air, dissapear, and then re-appear out of nowhere and beat the sh*t out of you with crazy arial combos.

[/ QUOTE ]

The character's name is Raven. I think his aerial attacks are cheesy too but I love the character design and the rest of his movelist.

10. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

i dunno it fits in tune with
    WOLF HAWKfield and
    jeffry mcWILD not to mention
    brad BURNS!

el BLAZE to the max!!

[/ QUOTE ]

How about:

Emilio BLAZE
    Esteban BLAZE
    Pablo BLAZE
    Jose BLAZE
    Julio BLAZE
    Che BLAZE!!!!

Bryan: Sadly, I am far less cool than Method Man /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeffahn said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, if you were a video game character, you'd say "Bwahahaha! I use racial stereotypes as humor!" when you win.

11. RagingSilver

RagingSilver Well-Known Member

El Blaze, lol. Wonder if his P2 custume is some gansta look.

12. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

"Gameplay details are still being kept under wraps, but the Famitsu story does reveal that we can expect a few new gameplay systems. One new system is hinted at by some of El Blaze's moves, which allow the wrestler to leap over and beyond downed opponents."

Jumping over downed opponents certainly isn't new. How do you interpet this? Maybe a redesign (towards a more dynamic way) of Oki?

How do you guys interpet this quote?

/KiwE

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Maybe new style off-the-wall down attacks when either you or your opponent is against the wall.

Or maybe the ability to forgo a down attack and instead jump over the opponent from greater range.

14. PhoenixDth

[ QUOTE ]
    Plague said:
    How about:

Emilio BLAZE
    Estephan BLAZE
    Pablo BLAZE
    Jose BLAZE
    Julio BLAZE
    Che BLAZE!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

geez might as well call him Juan Tapatio with that selection

spicy taquito is a better ring name than those

15. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Myke said:

Maybe new style off-the-wall down attacks when either you or your opponent is against the wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes a lot of sense to me. Ty. Can speculate further but better to just wait ^____^

/KiwE

16. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Myke said:

Or maybe the ability to forgo a down attack and instead jump over the opponent from greater range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering if they'll include tekken style grounded hit properties this time. Maybe the removal of "invincible" frames during wakeup? I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I wish there was more information right now. /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif

17. PhoenixDth

ya i can see akira players button mashing [K] for ground damage, not a pretty sight.

i rather not have tekken ground oki - imagine the terror lion would cause.

18. Jeffahn

[ QUOTE ]
    Plague said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeffahn said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, if you were a video game character, you'd say "Bwahahaha! I use racial stereotypes as humor!" when you win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak to Dok Hendrix.
    Vega

19. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    DRE said:
    I'm wondering if they'll include tekken style grounded hit properties this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Nothing good can come from Tekken. Ground hits on Tekken are stupid, and the ruin the game. I think they should leave everything the way it is, but make Jeffry's entire moves list have advantage on guard properties...

20. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jeffahn said:

Speak to Dok Hendrix.
    Vega

[/ QUOTE ]

He did not come on here and post that comment. I don't think it makes a difference whether you secretly quoted someone else or came up with it on your own. I read it in a post with your name on it.

I don't like seeing that kind of stuff.