1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 6 (General Discussion)

Discussion in 'General' started by def, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

There are other people, like you, who also favor multiple throw escapes, as if the loss of these is somehow detrimental to the game. However, I think that instead of looking at what has been removed, we should look at what has been put in its place. Virtua Fighter's main element, at least in my eyes, is its emphasis on guessing through reading the opponent. Not only has limiting the throw escapes possible to one emphasized the need to read the opponent, the other system changes have as well.

Evading in the wrong direction now results in a counter hit with the possibility of a combo.

Using a half-circular attack in the wrong direction can result in side pressure.

Incorrectly backdashing leads to a counter hit and possibly a combo.

The big damage in combos has led to a greater importance in reading the opponent's next move. Some have complained that these combos make the game too much like Tekken. I disagree. The damaging combos, along with the aforementioned points, have emphasized the value in properly reading the opponent. Yomi is now more Virtua Fighter's standout gameplay element than it has ever been before. It is now as far removed from Tekken, or anything else, in its history. Final Showdown marks the most evolved form of Virtua Fighter yet.

I feel that returning to multiple throws escapes will undermine the yomi game along with placing more emphasis upon manual dexterity.

2. nou

nou Well-Known Member

I'm over the loss but I would like to see it return, regardless.

It's fun to do and having 3 inputs be the most you can POSSIBLY input, is far from having emphasis on manual dexterity.

The throw game is too homogenious right now, and I would like to see it mixed up so it's, for the most part, different depending on the character and player.

3. JackyB

JackyB Well-Known Member

I don't mind the loss of MTE, but the loss of some throws and the homogeneous of the throws is a little sadden. I trust in AM2 tho and I'm sure what they've done is for the best.

4. Solidus

Solidus Active Member

Pretty much agreed with Femto, the regular throws could also do with some variety put back into the game itself. And i'd also like to see the return of the older character moves from the series return, like Jacky's; "Lightning Storm Kicks", Lau's; "Double-Stomp" and many of Wolf's VF4 Evo wrestling moves for example. Not to mention all the noise of Jeffry recently losing his; "Splash Mountain" and many of the innate gameplay changes or deletion of certain attacks and special moves, VF players who have played FS didn't agree with after many updates VF5 been given with; VF5-R and VF5:FS since they came out that we VF players overseas have always been hearing about.

Even if the VF series has shown great depth and growth over the years with the character tweaks to their moves and whatnot, surely they should at least retain and be able to also pull out some of those older moves and throws they had earlier in the series. Rather than have them entirely eliminated from their arsenal altogether? If the character's gameplay styles has seen many changes over the various VF games, overall though they still all rely on what they originally debuted with far as their 'fighting styles' go overall. After 5 games in the last 18 to 19 years, i figure all the Virtua Fighter characters should basically have a sheer ton of moves/throws already viable, with also a ton more (old/hidden moves) needing to be "unlocked/time released" once you've been playing VF5:FS console version for quite a while or so?

This move, would surely require Virtua Fighter players to also adapt and change their gameplay uniquely as their characters have access to their older attack moves and throws thus forcing you to mixed up strategies constantly, so as everything doesn't remain so "homogenous" as some players might fear no-matter how many games you've had in various; Vs battles with all-sorts of opponents online. Then hopefully that way, your always forced to adapt and change-up how you've always played VF. Then throughout all of that the main emphasis would then be, to push and stretch the system of VF with many; option-selects when it came down to the attacks and throws so nothing ever feels homogenous as it were.

True, i think it'll be crazy to return absolutely *everything* the game either once had at one time or another in terms of all the VF character moves and throws and for poor old VF5:FS to juggle everything we're lobbing at it currently. But i also don't think it would initially hurt the series to return several elements the VF characters formerly once possessed and generally needed rather than removed them outright and claim; "the character(s) evolving now cos we (Sega) took this out and now you must play [insert name here?] differently? etc.

Lesser moves and being restricted to a boring 'throw game' shouldn't be what VF should fall into, agreed.

5. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

If you're talking about his old [1][P]+[K] series then it's back in FS, actually think it might have been back since R.

6. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    This.

The new throw system, side turn, combo, etc., everything feels better than all that has come before.

Yes, throw variety is great, but there is no need to bring back more throw directions, just add more inputs, like [2][3][6][P]+[G]/[​IMG][6][P]+[G]/[4][6][6][P]+[G]/etc.

MTEs (among other things) made explaining, teaching, learning, and playing more difficult, and with the removal of that barrier the game is more accessible and puts in more in line with VF`s logical system.
    -----
    LOL, already talking about VF6.

In VF7 I`d like to see Siba nerfed, the system returned to FS-style, but keep the uneven stages, remove most of the stances, etc.

7. xTank_Girl

xTank_Girl Active Member

I think VF6 will be Next Gen rdy

8. Solidus

Solidus Active Member

Thanks for that info Feck! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Didn't know of this, since most of us outside of Japan haven't even touched VF5 R (and probably never will?) or FS yet. Thats good to know as i always liked those kicks of Jacky's and tried buffer them together one after another back in VF4.

Cheers!

9. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Seems to me like his Dragon combination ([1][P]+[K]) is just like it is in Vanilla. He can now finish it with Rage kick, but it's still not the 5 hit string it once was (Lightning combination). His Lightning Kicks are still there having also been present in Vanilla.
    He has a couple new strings added since Vanilla though. Maybe you mean one of those, Feck.

10. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

The move I meant was his Lightning Kick variant from VF3, maybe 2 as well. Pretty sure it's there in FS even if the move doesn't start with [1][P]+[K] now.

11. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

He has a [4][K] string now that ends with a high spin kick, if you're referring to that.

Also, weren't the Lightning Kicks useless?

12. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Lightning kicks arent imo, the old lightning combination string (VF4E [1][P]+[K][K][K].. was completely useless imo)

13. Burning_Typhoon

Burning_Typhoon Active Member

I want a customize option like Soul Calibur. Use the same item across multiple characters... There doesn't need to be character-specific clothing.

14. Plume

Plume Well-Known Member

SC5 was a botched project. There are a lot of items with clipping issues or looking puffy and weird.
    Most of the stuff is plain too, probably to reduce clipping issues...

There's a way around it, but I think it doesn't warrant the effort needed...
    The S costume allows you to mix together items from any of that character's costumes, so that's already good.

(Ah... I had not noticed it was the VF6 thread... Why do we even have a VF6 thread anyway, now of all times?)

15. Solidus

Solidus Active Member

Cos with others games like; Tekken Tag 2 and Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, SFXTekken on the market etc. A notably brilliant game series like the Virtua Fighter series shouldn't end at number 5? And should at the very least make rather vast improvements with yet another entry in the series with a number 6 titled VF game.

Thats why to me a Virtua Fighter 6 sequel game is always been a topic thats been talked about around gaming fandom! Its something the fans would love to see where SegaAM2 takes the VF series next with its; 'Model 6' board innovations and gameplay series change ups.

16. omegamarth

omegamarth Member

My personal wish list for VF6.

-Release an arcade version, then a version for next gen consoles.

-New characters: 2 in the early versions, 2 more added in an expansion that comes out about 6 months before the home version, which includes all 4 new characters. First character is Siba from Megamix, and uses Krav Maga, instead of a sword. All around type character who has powerful defensive tools. Second is a new character from Korea who uses Taekwando. Easy to use character with long range, maybe a rival of Sarah. The expansion will include an MMA fighter from Brazil, who'd be a complex character, with a "mount" mechanic like Vanessa, but more focused on submissions and arm break moves. Last would be a Military Self defense style character, who'd be extremely strong defensively, but wouldn't be easy to go on offense with.

-Console version would update the same way the arcade would, same week. Arcade version's cards would be USB drives instead, and the data can bring your character to the home version.

-Change the grapple system dramatically. No more directional grabs, but instead once you grab, you must input a grab command afterword. If the opponent guesses the correct grab command, or you don't input a command, they break the grab. If they guessed the same command BEFORE YOU INPUT IT then they get a counter grab, in which they grab you instead. To make it harder to guess, the grab commands have 4 different breaks, instead of 3 like FS, up down left and right. Some characters will have grabs that move them into different grab stances (Wolf, Goh, Vanessa, MMA guy, El Blaze, Aoi), which do no damage, but put you in a stance where you can do grabs that deal more damage (The opponent would have to try to break the second grab as well), or allow you to position the opponent. An example is that the MMA guy's Down grab command would put him on top of the opponent, with 4 options, a high damage arm bar, a high damage leg lock, a back mount which would do no damage but takes a while to get out of for time outs, and a mid damage triangle hold which would put the opponent at a huge disadvantage on wakeup.

-Keep improving the air attacks. Make jumping moves seem more fluid, and realistic.

-Keep making the stages unique, but no Tekken style destroyable floors, or DOA style crazy ****. Just make it so they aren't all squares, and we're all good... Maybe add interaction with half walls, like letting Wolf climb up one and then come down with a body slam, like a pro wrestler would climb up the ropes.

-Add a "Create a Character" feature, to put the fact that the characters aren't important, the player is, into new players heads. But created characters couldn't change the size of the character, so that you can't have midgets that fight like Taka, with weird hitboxes. Dural's fighting style would be off limits.

-A revolution of online features. Teams (Like in Tekken Tag 2), Live streaming matches and replays, online training mode, rooms like SC5's Global Colosseum.

17. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

No. No to all of that; except the part where they release it for console.

18. dapheenom

dapheenom Well-Known Member

The last time I did this I said some good things and some bad things, but whatever.

Animations:
    • No animations older than VF5. In particular, many of the universal animations are outdated. At the top of this list is the default float animation (Taka's falling animation highlights how static and lifeless it is). The knocked down positions should be reanimated to look like people who are down, but not unconscious (ie buttscoot/all fours). The current knocked down positions should be kept for KO animations.
    • Even more diverse KO animations that relate to the last hit received.
    • Bone breaks reanimated to be submissions that apply pressure for a while and have the opponent escape out instead of the attacker releasing the hold. Only on KO will the bone break animation occur. Apply this philosophy to any current grounded animation where the attacker has control and simply releases the opponent. This is purely a cosmetic change.
    • Jeneric mentioned this first, but the throw animations could stand to be sped up a bit to match up with the rest of the fast animations.
    Graphics:
    • Sweat on the fighters to go along with the sweat hit effects (which I love).
    • Light dirt effects.
    • *Very* light bruising/cuts after every round lost. No lost rounds, no bruises. One round lost, small bruising. Two rounds lost, trickle of blood (forehead, nose, or mouth).
    • Light motion blur.
    Sound:
    • Characters speak in their native languages. Stop using the corniest voice work imaginable. This is the biggest complaint people have about VF's presentation.
    Characters:
    • Three new characters for the initial release, then another two for the updated version. I say three characters because we got Taka back after he was removed, so in a way we've been short a character since VF4.
    • All entrants have a theme (except for Vanessa and LeiFei). Chinese martial arts in 2, Japanese martial arts in 3, sportative martial arts in 4:Evo, agile martial arts in 5, and Japanese martial arts again in 5:R.
    • I think boxing (USA, England or Russia) and capoeria (Brazil) would be a good theme because they're primarily hand and foot styles. I would add some amateur wrestling and Brazilian juijitsu techniques to each respectively as well. The boxer could inherit the slip, sway, and duck from Brad, as well as dirty techniques (bites, kicking dirt, headbutts, groin shots). The capoeira fighter could have the ginga as a rhythm based stance where each foot position was it's own stance (utilizing varying entry points and speeds), in addition to the various other stances.
    • Siba (India) would be the third fighter, using a flexible, odd version of kalaripayattu. Although he was originally to be from an Arabic country, we all know that's a sensitive subject for companies these days.
    • As for the two remaining characters, I have no idea what styles to use. TKD or Savate techniques could just go to Sarah, Panantukan or Wing Chun would fit in on Jacky, etc etc.
    • I think Brad should be more of a Muay Boran type of character instead of the kickboxer he is now. I'd reanimate his kicks to have more hip torque and cutting action to look more like Thai kicks. He should have a truly devastating low kick. I'd drop the slip, sway, and duck stances and relocate those moves between his normal moveset and a new Wai Kru (abbreviated) stance. I'd give him the ability to enter clinch from attacks as well as the new stance. Finally, I'd give him a low throw where he jumps off the opponent's knee and delivers an elbow to the back of their neck.
    Gameplay:
    • Attacks that don't hit grounded but look like they should still bugs the crap out of me. Even if the damage was reduced significantly and/or produced a stop hit for the attacker (so glad these returned, BTW), I hope this is changed.
    • There are some universal techniques I would prefer be character specific (orthodox/southpaw switching, crouch dashing, and offensive moves), but I'm cool either way.

19. biggz316

biggz316 Well-Known Member

Give Vanessa a real black girl booty this time around. They re did her look A lot from VF4 to VF5. I have no problem with the bleaching just ad some booty.

20. Ry4n4t0r

Ry4n4t0r Member

If there were two new characters in VF6, I think their fighting styles would be Capoeria and Mixed Martial Arts.