1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 6 needs to be free to play

Discussion in 'General' started by Adamay, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

To attract a new generation of players make VF free to play. Not only will propel to the top of the most playing fighting games but to the one of the most played video games period. It can even compete with juggernauts like League of Legends and Fortnite in terms of overall gaming popularity regardless of genre.

There’s no traditional competitive online fighting game on the market and what better to be backed by a prestigious company like SEGA. VF is a respected name among gamers so it is guaranteed that game will be top quality. It’s extremely important that the game does not feel like a cheap restricted free 2 play indie game.

VF will be the ultimate version of VF to date. Being a competitive online game it will no longer need to make future games. The game updates will be endless in form of seasons and patches, this way VF will stay alive forever, everything with the support and approval of the VF community. Listening and respecting the community is the priority

Advantages of a LOL/Fornite marketing format:

Stay to date with the latest cultural trends that can come in form of new stages, skins, characters

Balance and gameplay modes

Graphical and artistic updates

Make an official app to check out ranks, promos, news, videos

Revenue will come in form of skins and intros that you can purchase if you don’t want to grind in ranked battles

You could grind your way to get that desirable unique skin that you want for your favorite main kicking butts online. The grind needs to be plausible without spending any money. Or just buy it if you want it instantly.

VIRTUA FIGHTER will not only by synonymous of free online fighting gaming, it WILL be THE online fighting game of the future.

That’s it SEGA I saved not only your franchise but your entire company.

Thank me later XD

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    I am afraid those last 3 words in the title of your article are completely redundant

3. Harpooneer

Harpooneer Well-Known Member

XBL:
    poisonhorse
    Isn't this what they've done with KI? And DOA 5 had a free-to-play model as well. I wonder how those two games were impacted by the model? I think free-to-play is great in games with lots of planned future content and vanity items like costumes, and honestly looking at Street Fighter 5 it would have been better off as a free-to-play title. The game is much less deep than previous versions, and the "flashy" factor is more important than in previous games, with a seasonal update pattern that makes me think of it as free-to-play already.

I am not 100% sold for VF, though. In a game where stages mean so much (walls, ringouts), it would be difficult to make stages that only some of the players have access to. Does this mean that I can only play on my stages against people that have also bought those stages? It could be a problem. If you make "stage types," where most stages fit into sets of rules, you might run into problems of new stages not being compelling enough to purchase. Locking characters behind a pay / earn wall with a free rotation isn't actually the worst thing, as most hardcore players will just buy all of them outright, and grind-loving people will want to play more.

At the end of the day, though, Unicorn is right. The important thing is Virtua Fighter 6 may not even happen. If updates come very infrequently it isn't a problem for the quality of a game overall, but it would probably negatively impact a free-to-play model if people had a bunch of grindable currency and no new content to purchase. It's obvious that most people on this site would buy any form of VF6, but if a high-quality and deep experience is the primary focus of the game it may not lend itself to free-to-play. I do think that the model is promising for fighting games, but not sure about 3D fighters because of the stage thing.

Tl;dr: Please make a new one. Cool idea, but what about stages?

4. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

KI and DOA have a very limited free to play release where you can only play as one character or six characters and not all the modes are available. SFV kinda has this model after the backlash of the launch fiasco they had with a very incomplete game with a full price. This is why they are compensating the fans. SF is the most popular name in the FGC and casual audience and they'll remain as the main event at EVO in years to come. If VF wants to have some success to appeal the masses it needs to be completely gameplay free from the get go. No exclusive content that affects gameplay. This way for sure people will at least try to download the game and try it. Specially with such a strong brand name SEGA and VF have. There's no traditional 3D fighting game or fighting game in general that is backed by such strong names in the gaming industry.

No gameplay mechanics will be exclusive to certain people. All the payed content will only be cosmetic and will be in form of presentations, intros, quotes, dances and skins. And most of these things will be also acquirable via playing the game and winning matches. Some items will be exclusive to some special holiday season. New content such as stages, characters and modes will be completely free for everyone.

I think VF since being in the forefront of 3D fighting games it would be cool to take this model and revolutionize the FGC and of course this needs to be cross multi platform for Xbox One, PS4, PC heck even Switch if they don't want to go hardcore with the graphics. The graphics can be updated in the future in the next generation of consoles to come. This is the flexibility provides of having this model. You can go forward to add and fix stuff or backward if the community doesn't like it.

5. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    being free to play isnt going to automatically boost VF to the top of the crop of fighting games, being free to play does not equal success. We already have F2P fighting games and neither has gotten any more popular for it.

6. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I do think that F2P model is a very possible opportunity for fighting games and even VF.

I would imagine they could do either a rotating roster, or just make everyone available at once, and VF has more than enough cosmetic costume items, intros and win poses that could be unlocked via payments or grinding etc.

I think there definitely is a way to make it compelling to buy things without stripping away any of the complexity or integrity of the game. F2P doesn't have to mean it's a brain-dead game, and I think that Virtua Fighter as it is could be F2P with no changes to the core game.

I would rather they keep it in staggered releases than continual balance patches, but 'seasons' could be used for cosmetic items or new stages. As @Harpooneer said, 3D stages are important, but you could make visual changes like VF5FS. There's no real difference between Lion and Lei Fei's stage beyond aesthetics for example.

As for games doing this already I don't think it's really been done well yet, or a real attempt has been made.

KI - Xbone exclusive/GfW exclusive much later - I think it NEEDS to be on PC to be a major hit if it's F2P, and playable on a garbage computer.

Tekken Ultimate - some weird jank-ass tekken that nobody wanted with stat updates and 'coins' to improve your character

DoA5U - came out years later behind the original release with not much marketing. Otherwise I'm not sure why this one failed. Someone who knows more than me can say, I just wasn't interested in playing it.

7. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

Of course not but they are not named Virtua Fighter.

8. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

Definitely! VF could be the first top of the line fighting game to achieve this avoiding past attempts of making a half assed experimental F2P spin offs just to cash in with the brand of a franchise.

9. Technocrow

Technocrow Active Member

I don't understand why Sega is pushing the esports without having a fighting game to promote. People aren't interested in watching Puyo Puyo on a big stage

10. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Case in point: I've never even heard of this game.

11. MadeManG74

Future planning maybe?

12. MadeManG74

13. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

SEGA needs to avoid these mistakes at all costs:

ToyDingo likes this.
  14. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

DOA5LR and KI made a lot of money, that was some successful F2P.