1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 6

Discussion in 'General' started by EvenPit, Oct 28, 2012.

1. gido

gido Well-Known Member

Virtua Fighter needs to step its presentation game up. As crazy as it sounds, fighting games arent just for the fighting. People like the presentation of it and if it isnt up to par it gets blown hence MvC:I.

IMHO VF2 is the pinnacle of the VF series. Great presentation, great gameplay and character designs and quotes were sophisticated and on point.

Sega butchered a lot of the characters' personalities. Everyone look and sound hella generic its cringey. Also why no subtitles option for the japanese characters? Really loses focus on their personality if we cant understand what they are saying.

What VF6 needs is to be more fluid in frame animations during idle stances, hitboxes and attacks. The attack animations in VF5 seem basic and stiff and were not very impactful. Having it more exaggerated gives them the cool factor on doing certain moves with a character. VF doesnt need super finishers. It can do fine without it. Just make the fighting more trasitionaly smooth looking. Every match now and then would end up with a 2P which tends to lose excitement and gets bland after awhile.

Wolf needs his grapples they took from him and more. Makes his grapple game more viable in his gameplay.

Jeffry Mcwild does not have to be wild. His VF2 demeanor was fine. He didnt sound like a raging idiot, he was more of a laid back powerhouse brawler.

Smooth, cocky and sophisticated Lion from VF2 is better than the nerdy sounding Lion from VF3-5 (still dont understand why they changed his voice and style to some goof sounding kid.

Goh style of fighting is too technical and his design looks bland. Corporate more viable grapple holds or counter holds to make his Judo stand out more.

Brad and Vanessa's gameplay have the same problem as Goh, no real signature move or dynamics in attacks.

Storywise, in order to pull a fresh fanbase back, I think it'd be best if they reboot the series and go from the anime version of VF. It's a pretty good series and Akira is actually a likeable and entertaining protagonist.

And for the old time fans give us their legacy costumes from VF1-VF4 with new and better customizations.

The gameplay is fine but in order for VF to keep up in today's FGs is to make it more casual friendly and bring back the presentation and charisma it use to have back in the 90s.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
  2. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

No.

VF doesn't need supers. Doesn't need the crazy animation from Tekken and I honestly think VF5 animates tons better than all the other games in the market today.

Personality ? VF characters are iconic despite how bland you think they look. I really don't want to see wings on Akira's back or lasers or monsters and animals. Honestly Tekken stuff should stay as far away as they can.

beanboy and Tricky like this.
  3. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

lol at people who judge VF characters with a graphic art style (costumes and characters design) of 2006 VF5, and also make a comparison of animations from a 2011 game (VF5FS) with games from nowadays 2020. I mean we are almost 2 console generations now since the last Virtua Fighter ...

Just don't share your opinion cause you are completely wrong.

Don't forget we are talking about a PS3 game ! And PS5 is almost there !

VF characters are godlike and perfect.

4. gido

gido Well-Known Member

Its funny how I never mentioned one thing about Tekken yet you all get defensive on it. VF is my first 3D fighting series so I want it to be good because of nostalgia attachment. But even I can see where there are flaws.

The only iconic characters in VF are Jacky, Sarah, Kage and Akira hence the reason they were introduced in DoA and have several appearances in other games..once again..the ones I never mentioned.

A story can definitely help me care about certain new characters. Better quotes, and overall better presentation. One of the reasons why VF isnt one of the big 3D fighters anymore, besides trash marketing from Sega, is because it lacked charisma.

Animations and the flow of battle are just not impactful. Overemphasizing certain attacks is what gets people to look and play. And no I dont mean having "high and over the top juggle combos like Tekken". I mean adding more key frames to some character motions and stances to look like they actually breathe. This is a real thing for game designers to make characters look enthusiastically aesthetic as possible.

And its not like I've just noticed this lol. I cant stand what they did to Lion's personality its so generic and cringey. And he has a very unique fighting style, Praying Mantis, a style never really done in fightjng games.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

And boy I never knew some opinions were right or wrong..but it is okay to agree and disagree..

5. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I'm not sure what you mean here specifically, as Virtua Fighter animations are still the best in the genre, does anyone else even use motion capture for their games?

Tricky likes this.
  6. gido

gido Well-Known Member

Virtua Fighter has great animations during intros and outros but as far as gameplay wise aesthetically, its a bit clunkly and stiff. If you sit the controller down, you can instantly see that certain characters are still figures in battle. You can hardly seen any real emotion from them. They're all subtle, Goh, Brad and Vanessa to name a few. Not all characters have this problem. The ones that can get away with this are the chinese martial artists, since their stances are suppose to be strict and firm looking.

Not to steer away from the topic but this is not my only point for why VF is the way it is now. The technical part of it still applies as for it to appeal like the current fighters now, it has to be casual friendly. And for a fighter that you'd have to master to make matches look aestheticcally good isnt a good look for casuals. They want to look like they are doing something and if all they are doing are basic PPPs or KKKs and gameplay still looks mechanical, you can bet they will drop it in a heartbeat and pick up another fighter, like *gasps* Tekken or DoA.

Dont get me wrong I'm in for improving your game but there are ways around making even the simplest strings looks good.

7. MadeManG74

I still can't understand what you mean by clunky or stiff. Virtua Fighter to me seems far more fluid and life-like than Tekken or DoA. Just look at the movement in Tekken and the stiff stances that all characters adopt. Is this just a matter of personal opinion?

As for idle animations, again, I'm not sure what you mean. Wolf for example has a wrestling stance moving his open hands, cranking his neck etc. Vanessa herself has a lot of idle animation that differs between her two stances too. I'm not sure what more you'd want from it.

beanboy, FlawedFists and Tricky like this.
  8. gido

gido Well-Known Member

To each his own I guess. It's a matter of preferences anyways. I nitpick alot but small things like that matter to me.

I guess if you compare Wolf's older stances from VF1-4, you'd notice the subtle changes in animations too. You should clearly see the differences on Vanessa's though. But my point is that it needs to be more...lively

Look at Brad Burns and Mila from DoA, who are both practicioners of Kickboxing, and you should see where I'm coming from in that perspective. Lets just say if they were side by side and I'd have to choose, I'd be more eager to play Mila than Brad Burns.

9. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I am sorry but Mila is like the blandest design ever. A lot of the DoA5/6 designs are bland... The characters feel as if they were all based on the same model and then modified to build the characters.

Back to the thing, VF characters are great. I think they are very iconic and I dont think they lack presentation. Lion is silly but that's how he is.

Let's not forget that VF5 is 13 years old... Still.plays like a dream but it's really old.

Honestly, VF6 needs to be based on VF4Evo... In fact that game is probably the best in the series.

beanboy and Sonic The Fighters like this.
  10. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dreamiestboat
    XBL:
    tehmarcerer
    Don't agree. It lacks the overt flair of Tekken or SF or any other number of games, but that's not the same as lacking charisma. VF is visually more understated than those but still has great and consistent design that's all meant to evoke martial arts cinema throughout the decades (and succeeds). Charisma for days imo.

11. gido

gido Well-Known Member

That I agree. I do like what they did in VF3 with the stages though. Maybe take some old stages from there just for the oldschool vibes.

I honestly would prefer a remake of VF2. I feel like theres a trend goin on this year with that. Either a reboot or remake would be ok for me.

Its sad but I really do miss VF2 Lion. And yes I still have fun playing VF5, I switch between playing the vanilla and FS. It's just that certain things that characters say and do just bugs me. If there was a way to switch off intros and outros that would be great lol..

12. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I actually don't want to bring the game called Tekken up,.....but
    That is actually Tekken, you're describing there. If you look at tekken, you'll notice how horrible the animations in that game are. Tekken has always been known, to have horrible animations and motion capture. Even tekken fans, have complained for over 20 years till now, that tekkens animations, look jerky, janky, clunky and stiff, and unfortunately Harada still hasn't improved it.

Virtua Fighter has always been the fighting game, with the best animations. Some of the animations do look clunky, and need a bit of work, but not the majority. The only other game that has good animations, is the Soul Calibur game on the dreamcast. And rumour has it, that sega was behind it.

In the case of movement, Virtua Fighter characters can move freely, move backward, move forward, and can even run while crouching etc. Tekken characters have basic restricted movement, and their movements sometimes causes the tekken characters to lock up, and then they can't move at odd times in a fight. To be honest, namco literally needs to improve and upgrade their games animations and movements, especially the basic outdated combat system that tekken has, instead of relying on guest characters, and overhype to make money.

Well,...to be honest, making a fighting game casual friendly, doesn't necessarily mean, the game will sell. In most cases it does the opposite. And also, there are too many overhyped, sony styled, casual evo friendly fighting games on the market. Which is one of the reasons, why alot of people, don't play fighting games anymore. Almost just everyone else and evo pro's, plays those modern day fighting games.

Back in the boom of fighting games, you had games for almost every category of fighting game fans. People who liked restricted, basic, wacky casual level fighting games had Tekken, people who liked advanced fighting games had VF, and fans who liked fun, pop culture, jiggle girl ninja's had DOA. Nowadays, almost every fighting game is basic, nerfed, and caters to casuals, and pro gamers only.

Also, these so called modern fighting games, are so basic and bland, they unfortunately need character customisations modes, lame out of place baseball bat zombie destroyer dudes, silly old Witcher dudes called Geralt, Final Fantasy characters, SNK characters, jiggle boobie and butt physics, tons of nerf patches, bland, below basic combat mechanics and gameplay, (and more nerf patches), reduced moves lists, rage art super moves and even Akuma himself, to even sell or even sell well. Like literally. I'm looking at you Tekken, DOA and others etc.:ROTFL:

And a bit of a history lesson. Historically, VF never really tried to follow today's standard, or yesterday's standard. It was always a trend setter, and always did its own thing. It started the 3d fighting game genre, and even did stuff that Tekken 1 to Tekken 7, DOA and other fighting games, still haven't done yet. That is one of the reasons why it is iconic, and even outsold Tekken in Japan in the 90's, and even became the only fighting game in history, that was able to sell a game console system. Not even Tekken, DOA, Street Fighter, or even the Sony playstation, has been able to do that yet. Also, more non VF players and people to this day, know Akira's, Jacky's and Wolf's win quotes, way more than anything Kazuya or Heihachi says.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    MadeManG74 likes this.
  13. gido

gido Well-Known Member

Disagree with this part. Tekken is actually known for for its critical spacing gameplay something that VF lacks. VF is very "in your face". Not much neutral movement done, not much movement in general. Its generally a take turn basis. You attack, I defend, if I have advantage, I can attack you or you me, and so on and so on. I've never seen a VF fight where the two would wait patiently for the right moment to make a move. Every thing is fast paced. And outdated? In VF, 2P has been your best friend since VF2, which is a pretty safe universal low punch to the leg/chin area.

And whats wrong with relying on guest characters? They bring more people to the game and it helps others to actually play fighting games if they are connected with that guest character in some way.

I would love VF to add secret guest characters but only within the Sega franchise. I'd hate to see Batman in VF.

...Thats a bad thing? So in order for Virtua Fighter to prosper it shouldn't be over hype or casual friendly because there are already enough games like that? From what I've known people dont play fighting games anymore because they've become watered down. I dont condone with this and feel as you should learn the game if you like it. VF has this thing about it where its a very technical fighting game. And that is what scares casuals. You have to put in a bit more of an effort for attacks to land successfully, ex. Setups and mainly just mastering your character. Casuals just want to pick up a character press a few buttons and look good while doing it.

Yes and that can be a good and bad thing. They are one of the few fighting games that stick to the code of what they do. But that can also be stagnant. Think about it, what if Tekken or Street Fighter were to stay the same and barely did anything different? Will they be as big as they are today? Thats what VF missed out. It was too busy on sticking to "the code" if you'd say, and not evolving in terms of gameplay, substance or character. It was always the same modes. Versus, Arcade, Time Battle, Training, Virtua Quest. No real endings, no story, just the fight.

Not to say they didnt take risk, but it was a big hit or miss. Most were misses. Since the beginning, they have added about 2 characters per game. Removed Taka due to difficulties, reduced movelist for some and revisioned character models notably Lion and Vanessa, where they went as far as to lighten her skin complexation, (why they would do this is beyond me).

They did add environmental stages (which I thought was a step forward). But ever since VF4, everythings practically been the same up until now..One new character shows up and he's a Karate practitioner, Jean Kujo. Pretty dope character to say the least but they need more.

14. beanboy

Sorry. But being a person who plays Tekken myself, from the 90's up, I know that what you said there, is not true at all. You move when necessary, or when you need too. Critical spacing in VF more emulates real life, whereas in tekken, it is very inconsistent, inaccurate, randomly wonky and arcadey. In VF you do not always need to use much movement, to defeat opponents. You can break through opponents attacks, if the opponent is too difficult to fight against. That is something you cannot do in Tekken, but only in VF and Soul Calibur 1. Yet strangely, you can do it a bit in DOA.

Another thing, spacing and movement in Tekken, was always horrible. Tekken players complained about it for years, and when I started to play Tekken years ago, I realised that tekken players were right all along. Tekken needs to improve the movement in their game, instead of relying on cheesy, glitch movements, such as wave dashing etc.

That statement sounds like the gaming media. That is actually Tekken's basic combat, and wonky movement you're describing there dude. And....

This statement kinda proves, you haven't really played Virtua Fighter much. Because in VF, you can run under attacks, duck under and low punch and low kick attacks, evade and dodge those attacks and more etc. And even when characters do attack strings, you can actually stop it, or evade etc. Lau is a special case however.

Also, fighting especially in real life, is very much in your face most of the time. People don't dance around the arena, or glitch walk like in Tekken. If anyone wants to play a dancing game, play Dance Dance Revolution. :ROTFL:

This I agree with because it is true. Even Maximillian Dood said the same thing too. Another thing, the reason companies water down fighting games, is so to appeal to casuals and pro gamers.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    FlawedFists likes this.
  15. gido

gido Well-Known Member

Wave dashing isnt a glitch. If thats the case more games need fixing like Smash, MvC and Tekken. I suppose backdashing is also a glitch? Something that both Tekken and VF have?

Not to say VF didnt had that. Thats pretty much the essentials to any 3D fighter..movement however in that game is very subtle.

I mean that's great and all but none of that is going to help VF strive with today's games.

16. beanboy

Tekken's own fans, make fun of the backdashing and movement in Tekken. So what does that say about movement in Tekken?:p

Nope. Again you're doing like the gaming media, and mixing up VF with Tekken. Only certain 3d fighting games like VF, have proper movement. In VF movement is a normal natural thing. In Tekken, movement is stiff and sometimes hard to do, because of deliberate movement restrictions. I'm not trying to bash you or anything, but I'm curious, have you played Virtua Fighter much?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  17. gido

gido Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be here if I havent it sir. But from my own experiences and from even watching the best at this game through Defend the North and Beat-Tribe Cup videos, the spacing control part if VF is just non-existent. Your quick reactions on the fly and tech throws are what makes VF. But there's no other way of fighting. I guess you can say there's no "zoner" so to speak.

You could clearly see it in Soul Cal, Tekken and you see it a bit in DoA but VF its much harder to spot. Everything is quick paced and in your face type of play bro. I mean I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's just the style VF portrays itself.

18. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

A franchise should never change its direction to get more players... It never worked
    When MK went 3D it lost the way.
    When Tekken 4 went for a more realistic look and more 3D plain fighting it lost it.

You don't trade your long time fans to get more. I LOVE how basic VF themes and settings. It gives you an authentic arcade feeling to your home.. NONE other game does today and I just love it for that and I wouldn't trade it with the silliness of the other franchises. It makes the game mature for me.

I think a new VF that's m well marketed for what it actually is a,arcade spawned franchise will do much better than a Tekken rip off.

beanboy and MadeManG74 like this.
  19. MadeManG74

Do you have footage of Mila so I can compare to Brad? Are you talking idle stance?

Can you explain why you like 4Evo better than VF5FS?
    Unless you mean single-player content, which we know 4Evo wins easily. But all that can be replicated if Sega wants to pursue a full-price big-budget console release again.

20. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Yeah I meant single player content.
    Having said that, there are many who liked VF4 better than 5. It's certainly harder than 5 with more execution difficulties. Vanilla 4's Akira plays different than VF4Evo and onward Akira for example and was very difficult.

Also characters' designs were of different style... They were kinda more gritty than the softer ones of VF5.

Personally I like both.

beanboy likes this.