1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 6

Discussion in 'General' started by EvenPit, Oct 28, 2012.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Tekken 7 sells 5 million units.
    FIFA sells 20 million units in less than a year.

Fighting games can sell decently and make money, but let's not go nuts.

Look at the sales of fighting game franchises over the years, they've all been in decline since the golden ages of the 90s, Virtua Fighter is no exception and it peaked with VF2 IIRC.

I'm sure they can be profitable, but it's probably not a high priority for Sega right now compared to relatively low risk investments. I just hope they don't farm the IP out to a different publisher/dev like they did with Panzer, Streets of Rage and House of the Dead.

2. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

We shouldn't compare FGs sells to other top selling genre, i mean it's cool and all but what matter is that FGs are doing well, even very to some, and are profitable for the games makers enough to assure a future to those. That's all what matter.

What's annoying about VF case is that Sega didn't do any efforts for the franchise, releases VF5FS only digital with barebones single player content (despite the game took 4 years to come after Arcade). No VF5FS port on new gen consoles. I mean how the F**** is the franchise could be successful with such a poor handling right.

VF had a great developers team, but some of the worst marketing team ever.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  3. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

SEGA marketing and decisions are part of the mysteries of this planet.

But VF5FS released on consoles 2 years later after the arcade version.

SSfox and Shinobi like this.
  4. Shinobi

Shinobi Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Spiros_1978
    As long as they keep the same fighting system intact and the roster of our beloved fighters, they can name it whatever they like. I don't care if the next VF is called VF6. The world of fighting games needs a new VF. My God, it's been ten years since the last version of VF!

Sorry for the off-topic, but the next issue of EDGE (issue 343) has an article about SEGA's AM2. Is it a retrospective article or about a new game from the top SEGA developer team?

beanboy and Sonic The Fighters like this.
  5. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    VF should never be outsourced. Either internally developed by AM2 or dies with them.

6. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

Oh you right indeed, it was VF5R that released on 2008 arcade. VF5FS was 2010.

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  7. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Sad but true.

Not trying to sound depressing, but I will admit, I do miss the 90's golden age of fighting games though.:unsure:

I think this worries alot of people including myself.
    Let's hope they don't do that.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  8. faster 10 lightning

faster 10 lightning Well-Known Member

Virtua Fighter should NOT be outsourced to a third party developer, Sega always did disasters with outsourcing, panzer dragon remake for example seems like the work of amateurs and it's really disappointing for an old fan of the series.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  9. faster 10 lightning

Virtua Fighter 6 in my opinion, should be the next step in evolution of fighting games.
    A simple "more of the same" would not work, not after all this wait, btw the system already reached its peak with Final Shodown, there sin't much space for improvements.
    We need something really new, but respectful of Virtua Fighter legacy.
    Also they should avoid e-sport and GAAS at all costs.

I'm ok with Sega taking time to make a new revolutionary VF6 (if that will be the case case), what I don't understand is why they don't make other fighting game?

We already have the VF5 engine ready, they could made Fighters Megamix 2, Last Bronx 2, Sonic The Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers 3...

I think VF community should start to spam Sega with these ideas just like other Sega communities (Shenmue, Sonic) regularly do.

gido, masterpo, beanboy and 1 other person like this.
  10. beanboy

Yep! I've been saying that same thing for a long time. Even on this forum.

faster 10 lightning likes this.
  11. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Yes!!! all very good points. And keep in mind VF5FS is already running on this Gen Consoles as a part of Yakuza 6, so the engine is there. The question is do they have the courage and the vision? Can they avoid the temptation to make a glorified Tekken:eek:
    Do they realize there is bigger market out there than the one currently being dominated by 2D fighters and 2.5D fighters such as tekken?

Its possible we might all be in for a pleasant surprise:sneaky:

beanboy and faster 10 lightning like this.
  12. faster 10 lightning

Nice, I'm glad I'm not the only one who want the return of other 3D fighting games from Sega.
    We should really start to request those directly to Sega and AM2 and show our support.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    beanboy likes this.
  13. faster 10 lightning

Thank you :)
    I discovered that VF5FS is also included in Judgment! More way to play it on current gen!
    Yes the engine is there, and it's still one of the best around (even graphically Tekken 7 seems worse).

VF6 needs a brand new engine, but other Sega fighting games could use VF5 engine without problems and with amazing results.
    Imagine for example a Fighters Megamix 2 where Ryo Hazuki, Kazuma Kiryu from Yakuza, Sonic and many others Sega heroes are included and rendered with that amazing graphics together with Akira and the rest of VF cast, it would be great.

Yes, current fighting games are all 2.5D fighters unfortunately, even DOA started to suffered because of this.

This need to change and VF can lead (again) the way to new real 3D fighting games that don't need 2.5D mechanics, e-sports and other annoyances to be good and survive.

beanboy and masterpo like this.
  14. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Wow, didn't now that VF5FS is also included in Judgment. Is it exactly the same thing that's in Yakuza 6? i.e. basic arcade mode?

How do you get to it? In Yakuza 6 you can get to VF either through an in game arcade or play it from the menu without entering into the game.

I'm thinking I should probably get Judgment I've been holding off. Does Judgment have microtransactions?

15. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Please use the multi-quote feature instead of making multiple posts :)

Otherwise yes, we're all keen to see a return of VF style gameplay. I'm sure Sega Japan already knows the demand for VF, they would see the arcades, tournaments and online activity in Japan and around the world for the game.

I think the best thing to do is keep it up and support the existing games. I'm still holding out for a VF5FS port eventually too!

16. beanboy

I would love to see that for a Fighters Megamix 2.
    Sonic vs. Ryo Hazuki. Bahn vs. Ryo Hazuki. Big Mahler vs. Kiryu.
    Those would be dream matches to dream for. :D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  17. ChiepTrash

ChiepTrash Member

The "Virtua Fighter 6" I am waiting for is hopefully VF6 by SEGA. But doesn't have to be VF or SEGA, just a really good fighting game. Recent fighting game trends are really weird, I think basically all fighting games from the last few years are unplayable garbage.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  18. gido

gido Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but coming back to this thread and seeing this made me think you are hella entitled :p. Why would a company care about a very small community when they like money? o_O

You can easily do both. Prime example FF7 remake is targeting both new ff fans and old. Same can be done for VF.

If all you want is a re-release of FS. Then VF is just not gonna go far brother. And if you also just want every mode from the old VFs. Thats not being very innovative either. Everything is still the same but the graphics..why would you want a game to make a comeback that only a small community would want to play? That really mind boggles me.

Thesch28 likes this.
  19. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Yes you're right companies do have to keep marketing and trying to make money with new fans. So your point is made.

But some of us liked the original versions of VF. And the issue is old consoles die, the blu-rays stop working, hard drives fail etc. So some fans go out and buy the next gen console but they really want to continue running their existing games. I play as much VF4 and VF4 EVO today as I do VF5FS. I'm lucky enough to still have previous gen consoles around.;)

Think of it this way. pacman is pacman is pacman. Many people don't want a new version they like to play the classic game as is.

https://www.webretrogames.com/

There are people who would play the old school classic pacman on current gen or next gen consoles.

Sry for even mentioning this old cliche but newer is not always better. Sega/AM2 already have produced VF1 thru VF5FS its a lot cheaper to port an existing game than to make a new one from scratch. VF1 thru VF5FS will sell on current gen, next gen, and the gen after that. Like pacman, Virtua Fighter is a standard and a classic in fighting games. It could be sold as is for a very long time to come. AM2 could just port VF to whatever the current gen is and sell however many copies it would still mostly be profit because all of the initial R&D has long been done already.

And as money and profits go, 100% of a small guaranteed pie, is better than nothing, And right now Sega/AM2 is sitting on VF licenses that they could be making at least small money on;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  20. beanboy

Yep.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020