1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 6

Discussion in 'General' started by EvenPit, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Superspacehero

Superspacehero Well-Known Member

If i was the company owner of sega, i would launch the vf6 as the arcade in japan is still generating income, and the franchise is still good and alive, but everything would be right since the profit is somewhat low because the demand is expected to be low:

low cost of making( cheap engine, cheap archecture, good deals)
    ease and low barrier of getting a new team to make it as the old team is split up
    Preferable launch title to give it a boost since it barely come by, but you would still wanna keep the franchise alive and not let it go completely vanish.

A big reason why it is popular in japan is because of of japanese localization and art design. Too much japanese cultural influences such as taka, pai,shun and so on. You would need to skip the traditional art design and have more flashy characters like tekken, to appease the mainstream.

You would need more strings, and maybe a new attack button to incease the perception of randmness nad thus incease flashiness and noob wins due to people less amount of people perfecting the increased knowledge of more strings and attacks.

Increase the randomness and increase the noob winnings, by perhaps having less solid defence, or having supercharge attacks that increase the randomness.
    Increase the number of characters and increase the customization level to appease to everyones tastes and overall coolness for the mainstream

gido likes this.
  2. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I don't know where you got the original team split up , but up untill recently I read an interview and both directors are still in the team and that AM2 is still alive ?

Weak engine ? Low quality game ? No thank you, VF5FS is too good to have an inferiorly designed sequel. The series better dies at a high note.

Launch title ?
    No thank you... VF5 did that and sold less than 4. Unless Sony will market.

I won't bother with the last paragraph...

Just No

gido and Sonic The Fighters like this.
  3. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Why even call it VF6? Just play a different game at this point.

beanboy and Sonic The Fighters like this.
  4. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

1.Cheap Engine?: why even bother making a new engine? Just reuse VF5's engine and use higher poly models and higher res textures while taking advantage of all the other features the engine has like lighting and water effects.

2. Japanese localization and art design: AM2 don't even have a target audience they just put things they think are cool into the game, i don't see anything wrong with that.
    And what's wrong with having some Asian influence in the game especially Japanese? aren't there a bunch of weebs playing fighting games nowadays?

3.strings, new attack button? randomness? What?: Virtua Fighter 4 was a massive hit and wasn't a random game, explain that... also why a new attack button? people will start saying VF became a Tekken copycat, if something needs to be changed i think it would be the complete removal of hard moves to perform just get rid of timing on hit throws, and get rid of moves with hard inputs, but make the mechanics closer to VF4 like bring back stuff like string leading into stances, also bring back MTE but make it a double MTE only and keep FS's jumps and VF5's juggle system, make the blocking system like VF3tb's so punishing rising kick and all circulars and half circulars dead easy.
    I think no one should worry about execution and instead focus more on the mechanics.
    Also more advanced movement options would make the game more interesting, it would be cool if movement techniques like Korean Step from 3/tb and Baiagu Step from 4 were brought back together:

4.Increase the number of characters and increase the customization level:
    why not just the good old 2 more characters by then the roster would have a more decent size anyways not to mention with that many characters the game won't be a matchup nightmare to learn at competitive level.
    Yeah the customization system needs to be expanded, it would be great if you could change the color of each item you wear with no exceptions, it would also be cool to have more items related to other SEGA IPs like the Sonic the Fighters plushies from VF4FT or maybe even perfect costumes of other SEGA characters!

gido likes this.
  5. Superspacehero

Its my fault then, because i had some vague memory of having read online that the old team was dismembered. I didnt mean you should prioritize the cost of the engine, but that you somehow one way or another have access to a high quality engine without paying too much for it.

Im kinda confused why vf5 did so poorly, as it even launched with ps3 on launch day.

About the last paragrahp, i agree i dont want none of that, but it would still preferable to have it like this comparede to the franchise totally dying. It is a compromise of some sort that im willing to take.

6. Superspacehero

1 Yeah that sounds far more superior, as it would be the most time efficient and least costly option.

2 The game look unmistakably japanese too me, and that is also partly why i favor it so much. The whole game reeks arcadish atmosphere coupled with japanese mentality. Japanese characters are Shun, pai, lau,taka and maybe someone else that i cant remember on top of my head without looking at the character list, but the japanaese artstyle is still present throughout the whole game in an intangible way. To try point it out would be its arcadsh feel, and the asian mentality about focusing on martial art as the general theme, and the anime stylish over the top customization in conjunction with the traditional theme that is ever present

3 you make a soild point that virtua fighter 4 was a massive hit, despite being more of a hardcore game. My only explanation, since you asked me, that make sense is that marketing and what is currently trending are important factors as well. There seems to be numerous soft variables like this that impact how succesful the virtua fighter game is. Another soft variable might be the current fierce competion from tekken and street fighter and that fighting games already had their prime years.

I appreciate your indepth look at the mechanics. I totally agree about removing timing and make execution more easy. You had other examples as well, such as punishing circulars, and easing the exucution on other mechanic. More advanced movements, korean sidesteps, going in and out of stance from strings would make the game seem more complex,varied and ultimately fluid, that would not hurt, but the average player might get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things to keep track of. But other games like dota is thriving on the amount of complexity and the game is such a big hit, so it is a bit of conundrum on how it would be welcomed by the mainstreamer.

I think new strings and a new attack button, could spice it up further, and make the game more nuanced, fluid and maybe appeal to the maisntreamer more, but that is just a wild guess, but still nothing we we shouldy rule out, or refuse to completly explore a bit more.

4 I get your point about matchup nightmare, but if we look at tekken and street fighter, they are hugely popular and they have such a big roost of characters to choose from. Is this maybe why they are so hugely sucessful? It could be the reason, we cant it rule it out. At this point im willing to speculate on anything.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    gido likes this.
  7. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

LOL Virtua Fighter is godlike.

Why change what is already perfect ?

VF just needs a new game with fresh art style and graphics. Characters needs to have clothes from 2020, same for the UI.

And everybody love the fact that Virtua Fighter feels like a pure japanese arcade fighting game ! It wouldn't be VF if not !

I don't want at all that VF feels like a chinese or korean fighting game just like Tekken, sorry but no thanks.

Each game has his own way, we have to respect that and nobody will change it.

8. Sonic The Fighters

That guy is trolling.

He is telling Tekken 100% from what i just read...

Outta here man ! Get catched nasty troll !

Your BS would be true nightmare :holla:

9. Superspacehero

Im looking at it from the point of view that they will put down the franchise without letting us have a new version. And i was just giving out a perspective of what i would have been doing if i was the owner of sega, which isnt from the perspective of its hardcore loyal fans.

Of course, i wouldnt want them to introduce a new attack button or anything of that, but rather stay true to previous formula with some small tweaks, but we need to be real here.

10. Superspacehero

Im loving the franchise for the same reason as you, its japanese feel, and the seemingly perfect mechanic. Im with you and think that tekken feels rather shallow, without personality and sterile. And coming from virtua fighter, the games mechanic seems too simplistic.

I was mainly doing an attempt on how change vf5 to please the mainstream, and what is the best sacrifice to do so, without going too far? I was just giving out my speculation on that topic, which may be totally wrong, and im expecting to be corrected, but wrote my thoughts so that we could elaborate on it, and discuss it more.

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  11. Sonic The Fighters

VF is already mainstream enough, everybody know this game even if we didn't get a new game for years.

Some Fightcad/GGPO games or even some Arc Sys games, that's what you can call fighting games really not mainstream.

12. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Appealing to mainstream gamers, who are more into hype and trend, can be a very risky thing, especially in the gaming industry. It is more of a hype and trend thing, and like a fad it has a tendency to wear out. And in alot of cases, trying to appeal to an audience like that, can be very risky to your game franchise too, especially if the game is a well established game.

A good example, is Sonic the Hedgehog. After 2003, the Sonic games are a good example of what happens, when you try to please the mainstream, hype and trend masses.:confused:

Don't worry Sonic, you'll get a good game/3d game one day. Hopefully.:cry:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  13. Sonic The Fighters

The Sonic Adventure/Heroes games were great 3D games at the time (talking about the original versions console).

14. gido

gido Well-Known Member

I agree with @Superspacehero to an extent..

You see you really dont want to touch the gameplay of Virtua Fighter. It has its own unique fast paced experience that no other 3d fighter can portray...What I do agree with you is the flashiness factor. If they were to keep the gameplay intact and added a flashier look to the game..

That game would be one of the best fighters of all time.

Why do people consider Tekken 3 one of the best games of all time? Why do people consider MvC2 one of the greatest fighters? It cant be because of gameplay..because we all know MvC2 was broken af but because both oozed with content, flash and presentation.

I was also just looking through a recent thread of how VF has many more strategies and options than other fighters. And knowing about how the system works is a pretty daunting task to take in..there's just so much to know to 'git gud' in VF, that alot of people just want to press a few buttons to look good..(hence Tekken, DoA etc.) But if you are terminating options to play the game and making it solely a quick and intense rock, paper scissors setup along keeping in mind foot stances, weight classes, amongst other meta of the game, there's not so much of an incentive to go forward..it just seems like lot of work. Not to everyone as they are alot of high level players and are very dedicated to this game. But the thought of enjoying a game soley through gameplay is hard for me. I need a reason beyond "because I can eliminate my opponent's options" I need a simple reason like "because the character is so Goddman cool!" (hence Jacky :D)

If VF6 has more of a visual appeal, more casual content, and more characters. The game would be one of the greatest fighters next to King of Fighters 13 ;)

15. beanboy

VF characters need some more moves in VF6.

Akira should get more Ba Ji Quan moves, that move in a circular motion to the left and even to the right side. And he should get that move, where Ba Ji Quan users, hit people really hard with their belly area, and it pushes their opponents back.

Give Wolf a move, where he can roll forward. And then, do any of his crazy wrestling attacks afterwards. Like a roll into a scissors leg take down. Or a tackle etc. Or a spear tackle. Or he can do his df+P+K low hand sweep move from VF4 Evo, or any of his other normal moves after that.

And give Wolf a wrestler style scissors leg grab take down too. I saw some WWE wrestlers do that the other day. Apparently Muay Thai fighters, and other martial arts styles have that move too.

Give Wolf the standing version of the STF. With his height, he'll look good doing that submission hold on othe characters too.

Wolf would look good doing a spear move. Lol!

And Goh needs more judo grabs, and all of his grabs and throws from VF4, that were strangely taken away from him.

Jean Kujo needs some more roundhouse kicks, and jumping roundhouse kicks. Him lacking more of those moves, was always my major complaint against him.

I'll add more cool stuff and ideas as soon as I can.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    gido likes this.
  16. Dragonps

Dragonps Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83
    You're kidding right? VF has never been mainstream. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are mainstream, VF is running toe to toe with KOF for least mainstream game. You can't just make a new VF with pretty graphics and expect it to sell because I'll tell you right now it won't. VF sales have never come anywhere close to SF or MK or even Tekken. You can't just do what was done before but prettier. Fans will know and won't accept it, hell I wouldn't accept that.

17. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dreamiestboat
    XBL:
    tehmarcerer
    Arcana Heart, that juggernaut of pop culture

18. Sonic The Fighters

"Virtua Fighter has never been mainstream" So that's new now...

I don't care about Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, or Tekken.

How can you say VF is not mainstream with VF1 and VF2 ?

How can you say not mainstream with VF3 and VF4 ?

How can you say Virtua Fighter is not mainstream when it defined the 3D fighting game and everyone copied it ?

How can you say it's not mainstream when every VF games sold more than 1 million copies ?

How can you say it's not mainstream when everybody in the world know this game ?

How can you say not mainstream when some VF games were consoles launch titles.

How can you say VF is not mainstream when it was in the arcade for years.

How can you say VF is not mainstream when it had a TV show.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    noname, SUGATA and Mister like this.
  19. beanboy

Hmmm. For real? Or are both of those games hyped and overhyped, to be categorised as mainstream for a certain group of gamers, and certain gaming media people? And besides, even if it works, that whole mainstream branding thing, seems kinda fake though.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  20. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

Not everybody in the world knows Virtua Fighter tho... like many people around the world don't even know what Tekken is but do know what Street Fighter and MK are..
    Just saying..