1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 6

Discussion in 'General' started by EvenPit, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Well when it comes to popularity both MK and SF are leading. Tekken comes close behind them ( in some regions of the world Tekken is the most popular thanks to the PS1 popularity) and then the rest of the games including SNK and VF.

Here is the deal now, why do we assume that VF needs to have a fanbase that is as large as MK or SF to survive ? There is a market share that's saved for VF players. As small as that market it, it was profitable for the previous VF games. I don't think it's even wise to bring VF to try to get the biggest market share.

SNK knows this very well that's why they are thriving.. when they released Samsho19, they focused on the essentials and brought back the game that's targeted to Samsho fanbase and it's doing well and it's easily one of my favorite games this gen.

Journalists will play the idiot part in the process... They slammed Samsho with having light single player material and I am telling you the game had a story and had endings ( VF never had any) and you will always read it's devoid of MK like story mode, but that's ridiculous.. as much as I love the campy MK story modes... I don't think every game should attempt one. Tekken and SF had flat out very bad attempts at getting ones.

VF4 Evo had amazing single player content and a training mode that's still unmatched. I want SEGA to pursue single player material the way they did that game.

If SEGA was afraid of releasing a new VF because they are afraid of being expected to deliver an MK like story mode then that's a shame. I want them to stay in the "Blue ocean market" kind alike SNK and maintain the old formula of pure fun and authentic fighting game experience than flat out fail with a DOA 6 like story mode. Not like Tekken 7 or SF5 did any better but you understand what I am trying to say.

It's again such a shame... If SEGA wasn't acting cheap, they could have made AM2 do the fighting engine and designs and just assign Yakuza team to do a story mode with their style of direction... I think it will sell in West and even in Japan as team Yakuza seems to have good reputation in both.

But it's SEGA.

Edit :To SEGA credits, they never tarnished VF with any crazy failing experiments. It's the only pure fighting series who never really had poor made up games in attempts to imitate other games ( 3D MK games, 3D Samshos, SF Ex and others). Virtua Quest sure comes to mind but that's a soft spin off And I finally remember my little brother loving it back in the day.

2. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

Everybody in the world ("in gaming and with a brain"), that's what i really meant to say.

So we need to be GTA or Fortnite to be mainstream now ?

LOL Virtua Fighter is mainstream af, we are talking about one of the biggest IPs from SEGA here, not the ID game that no one could never see his whole life.

Any publisher would only dream to own or to create a fighting game that has as much respect as Virtua Fighter.

It's just SEGA fault for not releasing a game to this current gen.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  3. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

The famous Virtua Quest.:p
    As I saw that name, I remember the disappointment many years ago, when people were expecting sega to release VF4 on the gamecube, and then it turned out to be, an rpg type game for the gamecube.:cry:

It still hurts to this day.:cautious:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  4. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dreamiestboat
    XBL:
    tehmarcerer
    lmfao

5. Dragonps

Dragonps Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83
    Groundbreaking and revolutionary do not equal mainstream.

See answer above.

I think you're confused with the meaning of the word "mainstream".

Because not every VF game has sold 1 million copies. In fact SF4 on it's own has outsold the entire sales figures for every single VF game released. Let that sink in a little bit.

People may know of it but that's a completely separate thing. Once again knowing something exists doesn't make it a mainstream title.

This makes a difference how? Only two VF games were launch titles, VF on the Saturn and VF3TB for Dreamcast. Once again you need to understand what makes a product mainstream.

Bruce Lee Game of Death Pachinko game has been in arcades for years, but I bet you've never heard of it.

A TV show where only the first season was dubbed into English and only had two seasons in total. A series hardly anyone apart from VF fans knows about. Alf had a TV series but where the hell is he now?

I get that you love VF but you really need to understand it's not a mainstream title, far far from it in fact.

Tricky likes this.
  6. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    VF5 vanilla on PS3

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  7. Dragonps

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83
    My apologies, for EU yes not Japan.

8. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I think we have to differentiate between VF having a rather excellent reputation and respect and being mainstream.

Compared to the closest game, VF has always had a small demographic presence. Which in our case should make things easier... SEGA's targets are never going to be 11 million copies ( MK11's feat) and even might be less than the 4 million copies Tekken 7 pulled.

Thesch28 and Tricky like this.
  9. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    PS3 release date - nov 2006

VF5 release date - feb 2007 (JAP, US)

VF5 was the FIRST fighting game on PS3 almost on its launch.

So, only ONE VF4 was not on platform launch (after 2 years).

Tricky and Sonic The Fighters like this.
  10. Dragonps

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83
    The discussion was VF being launch titles and VF2 was also not a launch title. So it's VF2, VF4, VF4 EVO and finally VF5FS that are NOT launch titles. Hopefully we can move on now.

11. Dragonps

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83
    In total I think VF has sold around 5 million copies. The issue here is VF being mainstream which it certainly is not. VF has so much depth to it that I think some fans overcomplicate it and it keeps casuals away or stops them wanting to get better.

It's so weird that VF is one of the simplest FG's to play but people think you need four hands to play it properly.

I love VF, I've always loved it. I just think sometimes it's good to see things from a business perspective and not a fan.

12. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

Yes maybe i have a problem with the word mainstream ?

In France, mainstream doesn't mean just big sales or all about money.

It's something for everyone and very known, something popular.

Mainstream =/= hipster

Virtua Fighter is not hipster at all. It's a game for all (kids and adults) and for the general public.

Virtua Fighter is still very popular after years without a new game, everybody from the FGC know Virtua Fighter.

Yakuza has not the GTA sales or the same success at all, but to me it's still a very mainstream game.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  13. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Just chiming in the definition of mainstream, it doesn’t change based on where you are in the world. Words actually have definitions and meaning. Perhaps there is a better word to translate into Francais to represent the English idea of mainstream. I think based on the fact Everyone here is arguing with you on this definition you’re working off of, you are probably misunderstanding the word use in the “mainstream” case. Pun intended

beanboy likes this.
  14. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I think the biggest portion of a franchise's fanbase is actually based on how popular it was previously in the 90s with new players joining in with each successful release wave of popularity the genre gets ( SF4-2009 resurgence). MK is a wild sort of "outlayer" in a since it sells better with recent releases with 11 probably destined to sell the best again. But I don't think it wuld have done that if it was a newly launching franchise in 2019.

What I am trying to get at is that, it's expected that VF as a series to never really beat the sales of MK/SF or even Tekken despite how arguably being the best and again the word "best" is highly debated. Yes VF4 was probably the best in it's time but even when it comes to scores and professional reviews, Tekken 3 and SC1 are the highest rated ones.

So... Yes as a whole VF probably has the best reputation of "quality" but sales wise and individual release-score it's so far off from being the mainstream fighter.

15. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    Strange that you are counting a NOT vanilla games - of course VF4 Evo and VF5FS are not launch titles. Launch titles on new platform always means something REALLY NEW, a revolution.

16. Dragonps

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83
    Perfect. I think we can all move on from this particular discussion now.

Ultimately with a potential VF6 you can't just make VF5 with pretty graphics and say that's enough. It simply won't be enough and I feel that is an insult to VF fans.

Tricky likes this.
  17. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

That's what a lot of people would like including me. Just a prettier VF5 with of course updated roster animations and modern technology.

I just fail to see how a story mode will benefit the series. Use resources to make the gameplay better.

Sonic The Fighters and beanboy like this.
  18. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Most people who buy fighting games play the single player more than multiplayer.

beanboy and Tricky like this.
  19. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I think we need more data on this MadeMan...
    Like the percentage of people who truly finish the story mode ? I think we might be surprised. I don't think people play stories to finish especially in non NRS games.
    Cause honestly , I just don't know how people find that interesting.

Unless we agree that single.player content doesn't necessarily mean a story mode ...

I kinda think an online mode where you play and if you win the loser has to give you an item and then you can join clans and take the fight online and you know a little of grind and VF4E quest mode like features would be better than a cheesy story mode.

20. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Agree

beanboy likes this.