1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 6

Discussion in 'General' started by EvenPit, Oct 28, 2012.

1. JCnextinc

JCnextinc Well-Known Member

Tekken Sold more than Street Fighter 2 turbo. I don't know the sales of Smash or mortal Kombat but it's HUGE!

And I understand people complaing about SEGA saving money and doing non ambitious games when Capcom Square are taking risks and doing gorgeous remakes.

Reviving old Ips was supposedly SEGA's policy...
    SEGA Sold more games in Europe than SquareEnix. Now it's time to watch what these direct challengers are doing and step to the next level.

And yes this a new era for Fighting games. And SEGA missed the FGC train. A revival nowadays with Evo twitch and this new FGC community would be something big. IMO.

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  2. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Evo twitch ?

Hahaha

Evo and it's community will not benefit VF by any means. The only way for VF to find its place again is to retain the similar quality it had for 5 and 4. The Evo community don't support games they don't usually support and showcase. They even dropped MK11 when that game played the best in the series and has better netcode than all of their games... Guess what.. Evo got axed this year and it's a good karma.

There will always be a market for VF.. I think SEGA has the capital and the manpower at AM2... They just need to time it right.

There is no train to miss, VF shouldn't aim for this train anyway.

Sonic The Fighters and beanboy like this.
  3. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I heard about MK11 not being at evo.

It's possible, that some evo management, some evo fans and evo gamers, didn't want MK11 there. But there is also an opinion, which I suspect might be true, that midway/netherealm pulled out of Evo, because they wanted to do, their own tournament thing for MK11. Even Max had a similar opinion to this. But if this is true, business wise, that was a smart move.

To be real, Midway has been making fighting games, longer than most companies, and despite some of their silly nerf patch decisions, they would in most cases, know beforehand how the fighting game audience, and market works. Well to a certain extent that is, because they have done some silly stuff, to their fighting games, which pissed off some of their fanbase over the years.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  4. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Tekken 7 has sold 4 million copies
    Street Fighter 2 on NES alone sold 6.3 million copies.

While the fighting game 'boom' is overstated, I think he has a point that tournaments and the advent of twitch means there's new avenues to promote the game. I definitely think fighting games can and should be leveraging tournaments and streaming for exposure.
    Evo will support whichever publisher pays them the most, while it might not always be the best option, Sega has many avenues they could promote the game through tournaments and the community.

5. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

Tekken 7 sold more than 5 millions now.

When Virtua Fighter with 5 and FS was still here on PS360, Tekken didn't exist.

I bet with VF6 on the same level of VF4E or VF5FS, T7 would be another story.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  6. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dreamiestboat
    XBL:
    tehmarcerer
    ??????

7. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Are you claiming that T6 and Tekken Tag 2 sold less than VF5 or FS? I'm pretty sure both of them outsold Vanilla and FS. It's not like it matters, but lets not pretend Tekken hasn't always been popular.

MadeManG74 and Thesch28 like this.
  8. beanboy

That is such a bummer.:confused:

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  9. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Tekken almost certainly outsold Virtua Fighter, but there's a lot of reasons for that. I still think that the primary reason is that PlayStation was the more popular console than Saturn. If you look in Japan where the figures were reversed and Saturn was outselling PS, Virtua Fighter was outselling Tekken. As time went on and we had the Dreamcast and then ultimately the death of Sega hardware, Tekken pulled away.
    That's not to say that Virtua Fighter isn't still viable and profitable!

Eh it is what it is. Evo is so huge now they kind of rely on that publisher injection.
    They run plenty of side-tournaments, including VF for the last two years and there's other big tournaments out there supporting all sorts of games still :)

10. Sonic The Fighters

No, i'm saying that nobody cared or talked about Tekken at the PS360 era and when Virtua Fighter was still here.

T7 sold 2-3 times more than T6 or TTT2.

11. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Nobody cared about a more popular higher selling game when a less popular lower selling game was out?
    Honestly baffled as to where you're going with this, unless you mean in the 18 or so months before Tekken 6 was released? In which case, i guess. shrugs

And T6 sold over 3 million units. T7 is doing better but has yet to double it.

12. Sonic The Fighters

T7 sold more than 5 millions, so it's nearly 2 times more than T6.

I remember at the PS360 era when i didn't have much time for gaming... T6 or TTT2 it was completely silent and no cake in comparison with the T7 of now, and absolutely nobody talked about Tekken like it's the case today.

In fact at this time i was more aware that VF was around than Tekken.

Isn't that true that no one cared about Tekken the last gen ?

T6 and TTT2 were ass, they got destroyed by VF (quality and reviews).

That's why i say, if Virtua Fighter was still here today and at least of the same level of 5, Tekken 7 would have never sold as much. The game is overrated.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  13. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Personal opinions aside, I don't think the current or past success of Tekken has anything to do with VF's future. In fact I am glad Tekken is as successful as it is today as I don't want it to be absence for as much as VF. Healthy sales may eventually convince SEGA that 3D fighters are still alive and can do well.
    Both series can exist. They did in the past.
    I don't think VF will ever outsell a Tekken release ... There are places around the world where Tekken is even more.popular than MK and SF.

SNK's current position is what I think SEGA would end up achieving. Not that I don't want them to sell more.

14. beanboy

Interestingly enough, people strangely seem to forget that, or they like to pretend, that never happened. Good thing it happened though.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  15. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

Maybe most people just don't care about how well games do in Japan?
    Like do they really matter that much? maybe not, Afterall despite doing horribly bad in Japan Microsoft still is a big player in the console business with their Xbox consoles.

16. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I am not sure how relevant these events as of today, but the Japanese market was way way different back then compared to now. It was so much healthier. So, I'd say it might have mattered much more back in the day than you think.

People like to think that VF5 tanked in sales which in fact it didn't. I remember seeing the greatest hit lable release for vanilla and I remember SEGA commenting favorably on VF5FS sales. Their lack of total confidence was obvious with the digital-only release but in the end it did well.

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  17. beanboy

No surprise there, because Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, is not the SF2 game, that put capcom on the map, and made them alot of money in arcades, and consoles. The games that did that, and were the height and peak of SF popularity, were actually Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition, and Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting. Those games were like the hardcore Street Fighter games, and "even I'll admit," were probably ridiculously too popular to a point, that they were great, but super overrated. And they got more popular, when pro champs like Tomo and many, many others, came onto the SF scene.

Final Challengers, moreso Super Turbo, were the partially watered down SF2 games, that came out, when Street Fighters popularity was literally sinking, and on a rapid decline, due to alot of factors. Some of them were due to unwanted nerfs, to alot of fan favourite characters, Ryu, Ken, Sagat, Blanka etc, and the inclusion of super moves, which was received as a mixed bag by alot of players and fans etc.

And the fact that people got fed up, of literally having to buy a new version of SF2, like every dang year. And the fact that many popular characters were nerfed, was a major turn off, and more than enough reason to leave SF behind. Because of that, the SF fanbase became ridiculously smaller as well. Like way smaller. Back then during the SF2 Championship and SF2 Hyper Fighting era, had alot of SF players and arcade pro gamers. Nowadays, it's just like a handful. But Final Challengers did sell well on snes, despite that game and Super Turbo, being criticised afterwards, by fans of the older games.

The sad thing is, capcom and Street Fighter, never really became super ridiculously popular and super overhyped, after SF2 Championship Edition and SF2 Hyper Fighting, which are the games that put the SF series, at the peak of ridiculous popularity, and are categorized as the hardcore Street Fighter games. Also, because of those 2 games, capcom was like making more money in arcades, than on consoles, and arcades were a major huge business back then. Like literally.

I think this is a good lesson to aspiring game devs, and current game dev companies, on what makes fighting games super popular and makes big sales, and what brings them down. And the thing is, some of those old fighting games and others, didn't really need nerfs, missing moves, watered down gameplay, or spend tons of money to put cheesy guest characters, to help sell the game, or make that kind of big money back then.:p

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  18. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I think every series can follow it's own path... I hate guest characters but NRS does them right and with great passion. They go to the extra details and make sure to stay true to the source material with adding enough of their touches.

Also, NRS changes the gameplay and moves with every MK game and I think love or hate it, it's a working strategy and their game's sell well and they listen to their fans.

I am not saying VF should have guests, but if Harada is trashing on Kiryu ( which I think is a better character than all the Tekken cast and is actually more iconic in Japan ) then he can find home in VF.

He won't have special moves.. he won't have projectiles... He will be play just right in the roster.

Also, I watch the VF tournament that you guys do every now and then... I like how the game is kept alive and played decently. I think SEGA knows we exist. The game plays well and I think it.still has tons of life in it. It plays different and excellent thus it will just stay alive for a while.

19. Sonic The Fighters

Kiryu would work very well in VF, and it would be a massiv hype !

But once again SEGA has to do it before it's too late...

20. Dragonps

Dragonps Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83
    Ultimately we can go on forever regarding sales but the truth is VF never sold the kind of numbers overall that Tekken did. In any case because a game sells more doesn't necessarily mean it's better. I mean games like Fortnight and Apex legends have millions of downloads but I played them once and hated it.

VF is niche and I don't mind that, in fact I rather like that I play a game that others deem too hard or not rewarding. It means I can educate them on just how fun the game can be on any level.

We can sit here all day talking about how pretty the game should look etc I think we need to talk about the system more.

So how about this for a question:

What mechanics one from each VF game would you bring back for a potential 6th iteration?