1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 6

Discussion in 'General' started by EvenPit, Oct 28, 2012.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Apart from online that's not really a fair criticism. The game was a port/remake not a sequel.

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  2. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

Yes i know, and it's a good excuse if only seen as a remake, like it is the case.

But still SEGA made a mistake and missed an opportunity (for a game that had 10 millions downloads), this could/should be so much better and so much more.

They made so much effort in the menus/lobbies and the intro...

They really could used VF5US as a test to try new things before a VF6 (animations, new/old moves, balancing, characters, online/offline features, DLC).

They didn't try enough and they didn't take any risk.

Look at the support of PSO2NG ? It should be at least the same for VF, wich is easily a bigger IP.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  3. Dragonps

Dragonps Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83
    They're not going to take a risk on an IP that may not make them revenue. 10 million downloads is great but let's face it the game was free with PS Plus, how many of the 10 million were actual sales?

I love VF, you love VF, we all love VF but it's a game that has a very old formula, a formula that simply won't cut it in a world of Tekken, SF, Mortal Kombat etc.

Look at Tekken 8 it looks so clean you could eat your dinner of it, it looks incredible and that's what casuals are going to see.

Look at SF6, you can run around the lobby and sit at an arcade for goodness sake whilst you wait for an opponent. It's stuffed with single player content to keep casuals happy for months on end.

If I had the money I wouldn't want to go head to head with Tekken or SF6 unless I knew we had something that was going to at least break even.

The difference is PSO clearly makes Sega some decent revenue but when was the last time VF made Sega some decent numbers? Again 10 million downloads great but how much of that was actual revenue? How many of those actually bought the damn game?

VF needs something mighty special to stand toe to toe with the biggest fighters, and the amount of cost that would take for single player stuff, customization, good netcode etc is clearly too much for Sega to gamble on.

With SF6 Capcom are going all in and it shows, with Tekken 8 Namco are going all in at least in regards to the look.

I love VF like many of us here but from a business standpoint it's just not feasible.

GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
  4. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Games that are 'free' on subscription services are paid for via a lump sum from the subscription provider. Sony would have paid Sega a tidy amount for the game to cover development and some profits, and then DLC would be additional revenue for Sega I imagine.

5. Sonic The Fighters

@Dragonps I agree we all love VF, yes !

But losing 99.9% of the playerbase after 1 month only, because an inferior online/netcode and unfunctional menus/lobbies, it's just terrible (a shame, 10 millions lol).

10 millions downloads is HUGE ! So huge, i couldn't believe it, VF was so out of radars and a long dormant IP.

What a missed opportunity, i would have abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz customization DLCs if i was SEGA, and at least 1 new character and maybe a guest.

They did almost nothing outside of graphics and music ! An inferior version of VF5FS, with no new animations, no new/old moves, no rebalancing...

And btw Virtua Fighter was always "so clean" as well. Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 didn't exist and were ugly in comparison with VF5 and VF5FS in the PS360 era, when these games released.

So you are telling me that the Yakuza Studio can't make high quality faces now because VF ? A legendary 5 billions dollars video games company like SEGA can't produce a new great VF game anymore ?

Also Why VF5US was not multiplatforms (and still not) ? Why not already trying to get familiar with crossplay at the same time ? They celebrated a SEGA 60th anniversary only with Playstation, big LOL ! What about Xbox, Nintendo, and PC ? These platforms have been releasing SEGA games for decades.

VF5US is wasted potential. Gimme the next one quick because it's average, SEGA can do better.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
    EmpNovA likes this.
  6. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

Most people only play single player. Stuff like online modes, netcode, lobbies, do not matter to the majority of fighting game players. Most people who purchase SF, Tekken, MK, and whatever just stick to single player. You can see on Steam that even multiplayer trophies/achievements like "play one online match" are often times not even complete by half of the players. The masses want story modes and deep single player content.

The game lost its playerbase because it has nothing at all really. No real online or offline modes that are satisfactory. Quest Mode? Whatever happened to that? That Special Sparring mode? Anything?
    Unfortunately SEGA has not done a quality VF port since VF4:EVO. Maybe VF5:ver.B if you are generous. They need some new managers for this franchise. Maybe even an American or European company.

7. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I agree there was a missed opportunity. But the 99.9% of players abandoning the game is just an exaggerated number to reinforce your POV? After the first month, the player base in South America region alone had more players playing the game online than the suggested 0.1% (10,000) player base that remained to play the game. South America region is a distant 4th with players playing the game online.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    WolfKing and Sonic The Fighters like this.
  8. Sonic The Fighters

99.9% is a bit exaggerated yes...

But i don't think 10% (1 million) were still playing VF in july either, and after this chaos launching.

1% of 10 millions is 100 000.

0.1 is 10 000, and the number of players remaining is lower than this 0.1% today.

MadeManG74 and akai like this.
  9. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    This is exactly the case(y) Many ppl who play fighting games online believe that the majority of the people who play fighting games primarily like to play on line. These people are wrong.:cool: The majority of people that play fighting games are far more into the single player content than online and online ranks. Every popular fighting game MK, Tekken, SF etc have significant offline, single player content. VF5US has none. VF5US has the least amount of single player content since VF4:eek:

@EmpNovA you are right, the reason the primary reason why Virtua Fighter has a small player base is the lack of significant single player and offline content. That is why Tekken, MK, Soul Calibur, SF are always more popular (it has absolutely nothing to do with their netcode) It has everything to do with the fact that they have more and better single player and offline content than VF. Basically they always have.

Single Player Content costs more than implementing netcode, & lobbies

• Convincing AI programming is both difficult, expensive and time consuming.e.g developing the AI for Quest Mode in VF4EVO and VF5, and developing the AI for the underground tournaments in VF4EVO and Event Square in VF5 was costly, and took at lot of skill and time

• Cutscenes , Motion Capture, Animated Shorts, and Voice Acting for story modes also add significantly to the cost of developing A Fighting Game

• Developing and Testing Interesting and Fun Single Player modes is, costly, time consuming, and sometimes tricky.

• Sony charges also based on the size of game's binary, download time, server size requirements etc. The more features a game has, the bigger its footprint, the more Sony charges.

With the exception of VF4, and VF4EVO Sega has been either unwilling or unable to spend the necessary budget on significant Single Player and Offline content. This is the primary reason the Virtua Fighter player base has always been smaller than other fighting games, and it is the reason that the Virtua Fighter player base remains smaller than any other 3D fighting game to this day.:whistle:

Its not that Sega doesn't know how to do massive or significant single player content or can't understand investing big dollars in single player content, just look at the Yakuza and Judgment games:eek: Its just Sega (for whatever reason) has deliberately decided not to invest any more than the bare minimum in the Virtua Fighter series.:mad:

As players of VF we've squeezed more out of the game than it actually had to offer. We've kept an empty shell of a fighting game alive for over 2 decades with hopium that one day Sega would do the right thing. But for Sega, their objective has apparently been to spend as little investment as possible and get back as much as possible with the least amount of effort and time.:oops:

Its possible Sega might do the right thing with VF6, its just not probable:(

10. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I think it is highly exaggerated.

For a long time, I surveyed every day the ladder board of VF5US. And up to June 2022, on a weekly basis. Just to get a rough idea of players' activity level (which would be an undercount).

Africa and Oceania region are the two smallest region with players playing the game online. It is small enough that we can actually measured the total number of players that play the game (at least online); thus a sample representation of VF5US worldwide.

Actual numbers I have surveyed -

Oceania Region Online Ladder Board - Total Player Accounts
    • July 1, 2021 (1 month after game release) - 11,987
    • July 31, 2021 - 16,057
    • Oct. 10, 2022 - 18,292
    Africa Region Online Ladder Board - Total Player Accounts
    • July 1, 2021 (1 month after game release) - 2,285
    • July 31, 2021 - 3,203
    • Oct. 10, 2022 - 3,711
    The assumptions in the percentages listed below ignores all the players that had played before, and only takes into consideration "new" players. Thus, it is an underestimate of how many players actually play the game:

At the end of June 2021 to the end of July 2021, in Oceania region at least 4,070 players play the game online. At least 25% of Oceania online VF5US player population played the game online during this time window.

At the end of June 2021 to the end of July 2021, in Africa region at least 918 players play the game online. At least 29% of Africa online VF5US player population played the game online during this time window.

Since the end of July 2021 to October 10, 2022, in Oceania region at least 2,235 players play the game online. At least 12% of Oceania online VF5US player population played the game online during this time window.

Since the end of July 2021 to October 10, 2022, in Africa region at least 508 players play the game online. At least 14% of Africa online VF5US player population played the game online during this time window.

So I disagree with the percentages you have presented. I also think a good number of the 10 million downloads (I do not have quantitative data on this) have not even played the game. I myself have downloaded many games that I still have not played (just downloaded because it is free, and maybe play in the future).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    Sonic The Fighters and ToyDingo like this.
  11. Sonic The Fighters

Effectively the numbers aren't too bad.

Daily 5k players worldwide would be perfect for VF.

A fresh new great VF, with a good netcode/online would probably make it.

12. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

If we take a look at the state of fighting games, and the audience being catered to, for close to 2 decades, it would take more than netcode, or online, or hit sparks, or balance patches, or simplified gameplay, or catering to being accepted by main stream casuals, evo and the evo FGC, for VF to make it.

VF is a game, that will have to sort of take a different route, from those mentioned above to make it. And it might have to follow it's own course, as it did at one time, to be successful.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
    masterpo and Sonic The Fighters like this.
  13. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Amen Bruh....

14. Sonic The Fighters

VF needs a great netcode/online (wifi and ping indicator as well), multiplatforms, cross play, new characters, new balancing, new animations, new/old moves, new game modes, regular content and updates.

Everything that VF5US doesn't have.

What would be sick in a fighting game, after the costumes creation, it's the stages creation (or customization).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
  15. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

16. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Yeah, stage creation is a good idea. I remember that it was possible to do that in SoulCalibur 3.

17. ShawnK

ShawnK New Member

They often announce something at such events. But it will be soon, we'll see!

Sonic The Fighters and SSfox like this.
  18. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

They really need to adjust animation to make sens. Shun literally has a move where he hit in the head and it's ... Mid, and other move where he hit much lower and it's high

19. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

I agree Mademang74 but I think his point still stands; real sales are better when they are in high enough volume

20. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

Unless you are talking PC mods, it may not be that great (curated stages with night/day, weather could be better). I think effort should be spent where there's a solid Unique Selling Point, something to make people want to play continuously

beanboy and Sonic The Fighters like this.