1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 6

Discussion in 'General' started by EvenPit, Oct 28, 2012.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

How is it at the expense of game play? Making the game less complex is in aid of the gameplay.

2. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

Making a game less complex can sometimes lead to it becoming less interesting to play. It's happened in other fighters and is becoming a trend in fighting games. In VF's case most people aren't even aware of the changes including many of the reviewers of VF5FS so it's done little to change the intimidating image of the game.

If they were going to make it easier they ought to try bringing the dodge button back. It made complex 3d movement easier and less tiring while keeping the depth.

3. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

It's interesting that you brought up the dodge button. I know that there are still, a good bunch of VF fans, who want it back.

4. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    Just click ONE button (up or down) at right moment - what is difficult in this?
    Side step defense in VF 4-5 is the most brilliant, clear, awesome working feature - no need to change anything in it at all. VF4-5 side step is the best realized side step among all fighting games b/c of it simplicity, right balance risk/rewards and stability at the same time.

Citrus likes this.
  5. Citrus

Citrus Well-Known Member

a good bunch should just go play Tekken(and I don't mean it's a bad thing), what's so difficult? It's basically a continuation of VF3.

There is a reason they got rid of dodge button and that no 3D fighter has one, it's because it's redundant and it was just complicating what at the time was a new mechanic, I'm sure they simply didn't think of tying the input to up and down when the game made you jump and crouch for doing so.

6. MadeManG74

.[/QUOTE]
    How?

Yes, but I don't think any of Virtua Fighter changes has negatively affected gameplay. I also think the current solution to evading is much more easy to understand and execute than an extra button.

7. MadeManG74

How?

8. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

It's not the sidestepping that's difficult (as I said much easier to understand than Tekken's) but the advanced movement of VF4 which is something I really liked but was a barrier to new players. The dodge button wasn't just for dodging but could also be used for dashing and crouch dashing. Dodge + f or b or dodge + d/f or d/b. It's when you start chaining or cancelling movements that the dodge button option really starts to make a difference.
    You can see some of this in the VF step history vid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCWVabhdTSE
    VF4's was amazing and one of my favourtie aspects of the game. I think it had the most advanced movement of any fighter but even basic movement was difficult for new players.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCrSUr-WcH8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcdDFn8if70

9. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    1) I dont see less ergonomics in pressing ONE button tiwce than pressing TWO buttons simultaneously + this is easier to keep free finger on face button for strike than to move it from Dodge button to strike button.

2) Some strikes in VF are performed through twice pressed directions (fwd, fwd for ex), so it is easier to implement them into directional button only steps than directional with dodge button steps.

So, the current VF steps controls is the most ergonomic and easiest for the current move lists. Also, more difficult input = more rewarding move = requires more skill (Akira) = balance.

10. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

As someone who played VF3 as a beginner and then VF4 as a beginner I found VF3 much easier to move around in and yet it still had a deep interesting movement system unlike VF5FS. I remember looking at the opinions of other beginners to VF4 and they also struggled with that. The extra movements with the stick without the dodge button really add up when your chaining many movements together. It's not hard to cover 4 buttons, I do that for Soul Calibur and SNK games with their arcade layouts. Also using the dodge button for movement (apart from sidesteps) is an option not a requirement. You could still dash or crouch dash the usual way when you prefer.

Thesch28 likes this.
  11. Citrus

Citrus Well-Known Member

it's a game
    where you back dash cancel and crouch dash, a lot more than current FS. :D

12. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

I also find the concept of an evade button a lot more intuitive than evading with joystick also Korean Step is fun, my little cousins struggle with evades in VF4Evo but they use evading just fine in 3tb.

beanboy likes this.
  13. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

SEGA's new triple A game is not VF6 but Yakuza 7. No hope for VF.

14. Citrus

Citrus Well-Known Member

I think the message Yu Suzuki sent through his interview the last time makes it clear that there is no VF in the works at Sega but they are thinking of outsourcing it to Suzuki.

Thesch28 likes this.
  15. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

beanboy likes this.
  16. MadeManG74

You're linking two completely unrelated things.

Not necessarily, read the interview. He's still a consultant with Sega too.

Yeah seems fake, but nice mockup either way. Wonder how it was done?

Tricky likes this.
  17. beanboy

Now that is quite interesting. And the post was made on segabits too.

I agree, the pics could be fake, or maybe it could be a real prototype.
    Or maybe a VF fan(s) made those pics, to garner interest and motivate sega, to make a new VF game. I guess we'll have to wait and see, if they're really or not.

Wait ah minute,.....davieboy1980?
    Now why does that name, sound so, so familiar?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  18. beanboy

Another Yakuza game? No surprise there.

The big joke will be, if there were VF6 references in that trailer, and no one noticed them.:ROTFL:

19. Citrus

Citrus Well-Known Member

Yes, in a way that's what I meant.
    At least that's what I understood from his statement, that he is in talks with Sega for an eventual Virtua Fighter.
    But rethinking it, you may be right, VF6 may as well be in development and Suzuki already working as a consultant or will get outsourced material to work on.

About that picture, are you guys being too ironic? Because I don't see anything special other than extremely fishy, it's just VF5 characters pasted on a modified Aoi stage, is this supposed to be a leak now?

20. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Early prototypes use assets from the last game .. and as fake as those pictures look .. they might end up being true.

beanboy likes this.