1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter Carnival Japan

Discussion in 'Console' started by uk-guy, Feb 3, 2002.

1. uk-guy

uk-guy Well-Known Member

Hi All

Just got back from an awesome day at the Virtua Fighter Carnival. Kyasao kindly managed to get guest pass' for us and we were sitting behind Yu Suzuki!

There were two massive tourneys, one was the big arcade battle featuring winners from 64 players from regions all over Japan. The other was a PS2 tourney.

Anyways the arcade tourney was packed with Emperors. Astro (famous Jacky who lost to Kurita Taka in a VF3 tourney) turned up with an awesome emperor Wolf. Others included Segall, Chibita, Neotawah, Gueria, Iron-Elbow. The level of play was breath-taking, my fave match being the emperor Wolf battle between Astro and Segall. Anyways I managed to film all the main event so I'll post a more detailed analysis soon. The final was between Segall and an awesome Jacky player called Napolean(?). Sadly Segall lost, he was the crowd favourite, but alas it was not to be.

The PS2 tourney also featured heads like Ohsu, Haksun, PK, Kurita, Dark Saliva. The final was between Ohsu Lei-Fei and Kurita Vanessa. Kurita came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 in an epic VF battle. But Ohsu wowed everyone with some abolutely amazing Lei-Fei play, including dazzling movement featuring dodges, dashes, stance changes and screen walking, you have to see it to believe it.

Anyways the video that is being played in various arcades of the first VF4 tourney is available to buy (1500 yen), and also there is a Dreamcast disc being released on Feb 7th featuring plenty of awesome matches. Lastly the VF Carnival matches will be available on a DVD soon apparently. Oh and I managed to get a Kage blue bunny rabbit that you can attach to your shoulder!....well I was excited about it anyway. Also Kurita and other heads are working on a PST VF4 mook to be released by media works so keep your eyes peeled.

We're all going to an interview with Famitsu on Wednesady where we'll have to challenge Kyasao, Bun Bun Maru, Shu, Shin and possibly Chibita...wish us luck!

I've already challenged, and lost many times to Kyasaos Emepror Kage and Jeffry, as did others (One of our team now has a VF.net Lion with an Eifel Tower attached to his head for losing to Kyasao with a couple of excellents ;]). But when you are blown up by Kyasao it is still a pleasure because he just dazzles with his amazing VF skills.

Also there will be a massive 3 on 3 tourney in the summer so if anyone is planning a VF4 themed visit that is probably the best time to go.

If I can get access to the resources I will try to post some movies of the best matches (so many to choose!), including some I taped on the famed 'f**k me he just beat 5 emeprors to get Fist King!' night in Shibuya Sega Land. But I can't make any promises sadly.

Oh, Napolean(?) Jacky also got a special ranking for wining the tournament. He is now know as 'Pheonix', and Segall won a cool Jacky replica jacket.

Anyways by for now /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I am so green with envy right now if I was in a jungle somewhere I would just totally disappear from sight. !@#$!@#$!^#%&@! you lucky mofo!!!!

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Mo, sounds like you're having a blast! We really appreciate those reports, so keep 'em coming!

4. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

I dun get it...

you guys are in Japan to PLAY VF4 for like how long??? really jealous... I mean dun you guys have to work or something...

5. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Dun ye always use old english? :p

6. dynamic-league

dynamic-league Well-Known Member

Hi Mo,

If I give you the contact could you bring back a version C chip from SEGA Japan?
    We need a courier to bring back the chip.

SEGA Europe will be too slow.

7. number 6

number 6 Active Member

8. uk-guy

uk-guy Well-Known Member

Yeah sure Derreck.

BTW the version B that we have is the same as the one in the US. It is NOT the version B that was in Japan, I think that one was like version B.1 or something. There was some stuff that could be done on Jap ver B that could not be done on the US or other ver B. Kyasao said so.

I will try to make sure I get the EXACT Jap ver C or it is not worth bothering.

9. uk-guy

uk-guy Well-Known Member

BTW here are the Kage version C challenges in full:

f+P+K:
    No longer bounces in juggle hit. No longer floats on stagger or block stagger hit, ot it is much harder.

f,f+P+K:
    Has more delay.

f+K+G:
    Gives old MC ver B hit on close range mC (i.e. normal) hit. Makes combos like f+K+G - P - f+K+G - DP doable.

b,b+K+G: Only knocks down on MC. Damage increased from 19 to 21pts. Kage has +2 frames advantage if move connects in mC. Kyasao does b,b+K+G (mC) - TT PKG - TFT for example.

[JM] f+K:
    Damage increased from 20 - 28

[JM] P+K:
    Causes Stomach Crumple on nornal hit.

[JM] K+G:
    Cuase Head snap back crumple.

[JM] P+K+G:
    The reverse window is now longer so it is easier timing to reverse kicks.

[JM] up or down dodge:
    Is more reliable in ver C. Dodges better.

[JM] f,f,n,K:
    Causes block stagger.

[JM] G:
    It is quicker to cancel Jumonji now.

HCB or HCF+P (shinsodan) rolls:
    Straight attack, does not track dodges.

d+P+K,K:
    Sometimes this move (i.e. both hits) are guaranteed in mC after blocking certain moves...not sure which moves yet though /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

TT P+G:
    Damage increased by 10pts

uf+P+G:
    Damage increased by 10pts

Lastly after [JM] P+K+G the following are guaranteed:
    [JM] P+K+G - G - uf+K+G - d+P - DP or b+P+K (depending on CS or OS)
    [JM] P+K+G - f,f - [JM] P+K (hold) - ub+K+G
    [JM] P+K+G - f,f - [JM] K+G - [JM] PKK
    [JM] P+K+G - dodge towards opponents front leg - DP or d+P+K,K

L8rs

10. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Good to hear that you're having a blast, Mo!

Question: What format do they use in their tournaments? Is it single elimination, double elimination? Is there a round robin?

How does it work man!? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

cheers,

11. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

you are so lucky to be in japan. enjoy!

12. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Re: Virtua Fighter DVD available Japan

the video that is being played in various arcades of the first VF4 tourney is available ]to buy (1500 yen),
    1.5GB of VF4 matches.
    two sets: one is 2,500 yen and the other is 1,500. awesome. I placed order today.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.joy.hi-ho.ne.jp/d13492/>http://www.joy.hi-ho.ne.jp/d13492/</a>

13. uk-guy

uk-guy Well-Known Member

Tourneys are usually single elimination straight through to the final. Sometimes there are 3 groups and the winners of each group have to play each other until there is one final champion and the two runners up. That is how Segall won the Ikebukoro tournaments to secure his place in the finals of the Vurtua Carnival.

Me, Dai and Ryan and in the latest Famitsu weekly, and our IV with Kyasao, Chibita, Shin and BBMaru should be up on Famitsu online soon.

Quite a few Taioh's (rank above what we call 'emperor') appearing now. I watched Chibita rack up 20 wins in West Shinjuku to get his Taiohs ranking, and then he rung himslef out 3 times so he could go to the toilet. I asked him which 'emperors' he likes to challenge the most. He said he'd only like to challenge himself if that were possible!

l8rs