1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter - Character Ratings

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by HighKing, Jun 25, 2002.

1. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

A website that rates all fighting characters in all fighting games including virtua fighter. They rate them on overall appearance and personality. They don't seem to like Virtua Fighters characters, they favor more of the Tekken character designs though.

Check it out: GameGen.com

Click on the characters section.

2. MAXIMUM

MAXIMUM Well-Known Member

I kind of agree with some of these comments. Although AM2 make utterly fantastic games, they sometimes appear behind the times with visual style and character. The music in VF series and F355 challenge is a good case in point. Utterly terrible. I have the impression Yu Suzuki (who loves rock music) has perhaps too much creative influence over his games. He should leave some of the music and style decisions to younger people.

And despite the constant slagging of Tekken's style over substance approach, I think AM2 could learn a thing or two from Namco on visual presentation and style. The scripted sparring sequences they put into the attract mode in Soul Calibur left be speechless when I first saw it. That's the kind of thing AM2 should spend a little more time over. If they did, I feel their games would be an unstoppable commercial succes, blending incredibly refined gameplay with slick presentation.

3. HighKing

Maybe GC character intros, endings and things that help us know more about the characters? I kinda agree with the comments also, Tekken has much more style and flair as opposed to VF's dull, uninteresting characters.

4. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

i personally kinda like the music that sega has currently been cranking out in most of their games... it seems that it is a bit more creative...however, i will admit that i like rock slightly over other musical genres(which may explain how i can appreciate the music that they do in their games, and the work necessary needed to create it), although i do like hip-hop as well. but that's just me.

i do think though that storyline-wise VF just plain sucks. i've sometimes wondered why, but mainly it's because there's no variation; same old thing occurs over and over. boooring.

5. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

As much as I dislike Ken Ishii's music, I must say Sega did a bang-up job on the Rez soundtrack. Best game soundtracks ever:

Wipeout (PSX)
    Ghost in the Shell (PSX)
    JSR (DC)
    JSRF (Xbox)

6. HighKing

I think Goh could add an element of "coolness", I don't know if that's a word but you know what I mean. But Brad, straight outta Tekken, is just too plain in my opinion, although I do like his fighting style, his overall character design isn't very creative. He doesn't look as slick as Jin Kazama from Tekken, which in my opinion is the "coolest" character in terms of character design, no offense.

7. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Ghost in the Shell (PSX)

[/ QUOTE ]

Never knew there was a Ghost in the Shell game, but the song in the middle of the movie is one of my favorites.

8. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

I love this game, but I have to agree with the negatives. I love the gameplay of VF, but much of the character design really lacks the visual appeal imho. I mean, can Wolf look any more mundane? And what the heck is Jeff 2p wearing? Or Lion 2p? Real shame, since all of these characters play so well. And I never get tired of looking at entry and winning poses in SC, but VF? Sigh. I think some of the VF characters must have the dumbest entry and winning poses in the game. "Why am I so great?!" Uhm, yeah.. I mean take a look at Ivy, Voldo, Maxi, Astaroth, and compare them to VF characters on the basis of visuals alone. Sigh.

9. Clumsy_Mohel

Clumsy_Mohel Member

The LEAST they could do is get some new voicework for Jack, Lion, and Jeffery, and get better translation for guys like Wolf (How else do you end up with the line "If you feel the real power, go back to school!"). Hell, he might as well say, "All your base are belong to us." In Shenmue the bad translation is funny, because it's uniform throughout the game, and you feel like your playing an old Kung Fu movie. But in VF, when you have people speaking different languages, you can't do half of them right (the ones that speak your language) and the other half wrong. Is it so hard to find a translator when your a Japanese muti-million dollar corporation? I personally don't have much issue with the visual design, but the story needs a lot of improvement, that I agree with. Like Lei Fei's story...He hopes to make Koen-Ken's power his own? And he does that by defeating Lau Chan? Wouldn't he have to learn from him? Ugh, it "makes me wanna holler sometimes and throw up both my hands." - Gil Scott-Heron.

10. American_Pai

American_Pai Well-Known Member

There's probably nothing mistranslated with that Wolf quote. "Did you feel the real power? Go back to school." He tells them to "feel the real power" before the match starts so it makes since. If there are any any real mistranslations it would because to specific situations like Wolf's "So what" before anybody says anything to him.

And what was so bad about Shenmue's translation? Or is it just the dubbing you're complaining about.?

11. GaijinPunch

Ghost in the Shell Game soundtrack and movie soundtrack are totally different. Game soundtrack much better. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Brad is plain, but the thin that pisses me off the most about him is my Japaense friends say he looks like me -- I had these goofy Elvis Lambchops for a couple of months back in the spring -- obviously a mistake!

12. HighKing

Uh, so your calling yourself plain? /versus/images/icons/confused.gif J/K /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

Well, anyway I just hope AM2 can nail their voice acting with the two newcomers.

13. GaijinPunch

Check the Goh thread --- Goh's voice is actually pretty good from teh very little I've heard. I've been trying to seperate myself from Brad at every chance, so haevn't heard his lines. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif