1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter esports arcade experience (in Japan)

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by supergolden, Jun 9, 2021.

By supergolden on Jun 9, 2021 at 11:15 PM
  1. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

Hey everyone, long time no see.

So today I went for a run to the local Round One in Takatsu, Kawasaki to check out Virtua Fighter esports.
    Overall it was great fun to get in some matches again! I'll definitely be heading back again soon.

Card System
    • I have no idea where my VF5FS character cards are, they were probably thrown out years ago, so I went and got a new aime card to start from scratch
    • aime card works with many different games, whereas with VF5FS you needed character cards only for VF
    • One aime card stores your stats for multiple VF characters and other games too
    • aime card cost 300 yen
    • aime site is in English too, and easy to login with SNS account so glad I won't need to remember another username / pw
    Round One
    • At around 10:30 AM on a Thursday, very few people in Round One
    • No one else playing VFes (in this arcade)
    VFes
    • I selected arcade with online battle possible with anyone in Japan (you could limit to only people in the same arcade if you wanted to)
    • You could also choose training mode while waiting for online matches
    • Even at 10:30 AM, it quickly and continuously matched me up with online opponents
    • You get to loose three different online matches before needing to put in more money
    • You can request rematch after each fight (whether you win or loose)
    • This cabinet had option to connect your own USB controller
    Comp
    • I can't remember the last time I played VF, still I won 9/12 matches and got promoted up to 7 kyuu (maybe lots of new players, rusty players, or it matches with people of similar skill level)
    Lag
    • It was a lot of fun to play and I didn't notice any major lag
    • I haven't played the game for years, and never was super technical with my control, so even if it played a bit differently from local comp I wouldn't have noticed

ALL.Net P-ras MULTI バージョン3cabinet
    (you can choose other games besides VF too to play on the same cabinet)
    upload_2021-6-10_12-9-34.png

VF esports.net website, ring name, intro text, and match history
    upload_2021-6-10_12-7-17.png

Me at Round One
    upload_2021-6-10_12-8-44.png

SUGATA, wrekka, Dennis0201 and 18 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by supergolden, Jun 9, 2021.

1. supergolden
      supergolden
      Well after over 1,000 matches, I encountered my first disconnect while playing in the arcade! The match totally froze for a few seconds and then it took me back to CPU match while trying to find the next opponent. Thankfully it didn't count as a loss for me.

(I guess it was some network error, it's not really possible for a player to pull the plug on the network the arcade cabinet is using)
    2. JKTwice
      JKTwice
      I guess you found another cab after your Round One got rid of theirs. Very nice!

Love to hear that this game is being played in arcades still. You don't need a row of cabs to support multiple players anymore which is pretty crazy to me! Just one ALL.net cab and you're playing with hundreds and thousands of other players across the country. Makes me wonder why this isn't in the United States, maybe the player population just wouldn't be high enough and the distances too great.

Connection quality is the main indicator for getting matches, so are you still frequently finding matches now at your skill level?
    3. PLATINUMRook
      PLATINUMRook
      From my experience of playing NESiCAxLive 2 arcade games online in American Round 1 locations, I guess people just aren't interested. Granted, those games I've played online were BlazBlue Central Fiction, BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, and The King of Fighters XIV Arcade Ver., games that aren't super popular even on consoles compared to the heavy hitters like SF and Tekken, but Street Fighter (both SFV Type Arcade and now SF6 Type Arcade) seems decently popular if you play them at around noon or evening time on a weekend. You'll actually get games with people and there is a skill range, though most people are kinda low level. Tekken 7 was really popular at my Round 1 before they got rid of it, so I imagine online arcade 3D fighting games like VFes or a hypothetical arcade version of Tekken 8 with online play can draw people in the way SF6's arcade version does.